Post Thanks / Like

Review: Ultima Interior Guard vs Wolfgang Cockpit Sealant

UIGP vs Wolfgang Cockpit Sealant
    I’ve been trying to put this together for a while now, figured it was time to finally post. Sorry if it seems scattered, it’s been pieced together from a bunch of words docs over several weeks. I wanted to review my favorite interior products

Manufacturer claims: Wolfgang
    Now you can keep the interior of your car looking and feeling new with a single product that’s incredibly quick and simple to apply. Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant is an invisible, advanced synthetic polymer coating that provides a durable coating of protection and beauty to all leather, plastic, vinyl, rubber, wood and metal interior trim! Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant replaces the need for multiple products!

Manufacturer claims: Ultima
    Ultima Interior Guard Plus uses superior science and technology to coat, seal and protect every finish in your fine automobile. This clear sealant dries completely and will not leave a greasy, slippery film that attracts dust. Instead, fabrics, leather and vinyl all take on the tactile feel of fine cashmere. You will glide in and out of your leather seating and feel a new comfort that`s silky smooth, but not slippery.

Okay, so my test panel is my rear driver side door. As you can see I have the tape line as the control. (WG on left / UIGP on the right)First I cleaned the entire area to be treated with DP Total Interior Cleaner. DP does a great job of sprucing things up and removing previous interior dressing and treatments. With a clean base now ready, we’ll apply the products.

Application:
    Identical, these are WOWA interior sealants. What I do is prime my applicator(blue microfiber brick) with two sprays. Then I give it a third, and ready to go. I find 2 sprays to prime and maybe 1 additional spray for every other section. Both products spread really easy, maybe slight edge to Woflgang as its easier to see as you apply. Each atomizer does a good job of distributing the spray evenly across the applicator. Now, some people like to spray these onto the surface then coat, I like to just load the applicator, I find I can apply things smoothly this way. It’s a simple as wiping on, letting it set, and if you so desire give it a quick buff. Sometimes you can get a high spot, and the quick post buff helps. You can top them again with a second coat if you wish, for a desired look, but I usually stick to one.
    Look/results:

As you can see, both do a good job or darkening a bit. Wolfgang to my eye seems to dry a tad bit glossier than UIGP, and I personally like that. Some folks just want a matte finish and I get that too, its all up to you! I’ve noticed if I do multiple coats of each, Wolfgang tends to add a little more gloss each time. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t armor all glossy, it’s a very classy matte look that when you catch the right light can give a really nice sheen. With UIGP I do notice this, but not to the degree I do with Wolfgang.

The feel of these products is what makes them great. After curing, both have a unique feel. UIGP feels very smooth to the touch, to best describe it, I’d say it’s like rubbing your hand on a clean kitchen granite counter, it just feels clean and smooth. Wolfgang has a feel like velvet, its hard to describe, but picture rubbing your hand on a nice piece of fabric or short nap microfiber, Wolfgang creates a really unique feeling to your interior. I have plastics and Vinyl on the inside of my car and the touch is quite amazing. Both products can be applied to your steering wheel and it will not hinder your driving. These do not make the wheel slippery or greasy, and that’s great because your steering wheel gets all greasy and oily from your hands, its nice to have protection there for all of that mess! Haha.

These products work really well on leather seats. Not pictured so apologies, but in my experience when applied to leather seats literally people can slide and slip right in and out, plus it protects from spills and stains. Just like the claims made, it really is a dramatic difference, if you have leather seats I suggest looking into these. UIGP wins in this area to me, the seats felt noticeably softer with the UIGP applied. Wolfgang felt soft, however wasn’t on the same level. The person whos car it was even noted how nice the seats felt with UIGP.
    Protection:

Both products shine in this area. They actually cause the surface to pool or bead water, liquids, etc. They either roll off or bead up, allowing easy removal in case something horrible like a spilled water or drop of coffee from those crap starbucks mugs drips out. The right side of the dash has UIGP and the left side has Wolfgang. Both of these products were applied exactly 1 month ago and have only been cleaned with a damp towel with DI water. As you can see, liquids bead up nicely on both sides showing off the layer of protection to protect the inside of your ride. After a month they are still both holding strong, I will try and keep up with more beading photos. Also, I own pets, an awesome dog and cat. We always take them to the park and yeah they drool and drip stuff everywhere. These interior sealants really are great in aiding in cleaning that mess up. The barrier it creates allows for easy removal with no harsh apc or chemicals, just a damp towel is good enough.

Conclusion: Advantage, Wolfgang

Honestly you can’t go wrong with either. However, I’d choose the Wolfgang and here’s why. In my experience, I have had the Wolfgang last longer and still provide the look and feel I desired for a longer period of time than UIGP. Also with UIGP I have had issues with darker plastics in some make of Toyotas, and it causing a white streak. Despite how little product I’d use, UIGP would leave occasional white streaks, almost chalky looking. With the Woflgang I did not experience it on dark plastics, it dried clear everywhere on those surfaces that were finicky with UIGP. UIGP worked flawlessly on every other surface, but was really picky with certain darker ones on certain cars I’ve applied it to, namely a Prius, Yaris and Ford Edge. So be cautious of that aspect with UIGP. I have seen others have this issue as well. That’s one big reason I’d choose the Wolfgang. Wolfgang is also easier to see while applying. UIGP seems to me that it melts and clears qucikly into the dash or plastic, and that’s good but with Wolfgang you can see a little better where you’ve been to ensure you’ve had good coverage. You can see a trail of where you’ve been as it slowly cures as you move on. Also overall I like the look Wolfgang provides more. I find that tad bit of sheen/gloss really adds something for me that I personally have always liked. This not knocking UIGP, if you want it get it, but I’d suggest the Wolfgang any day, twice on Sunday.

Thanks, have fun, detail on. Go Patriots.!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Ultima Interior Guard vs Wolfgang Cockpit Sealant

Cool review !!!!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review !!! Thank for putting that together.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice honest review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Cool review !!!!
    Thanks for reading, hope it helps or entertained!

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Awesome review !!! Thank for putting that together.
    Thanks so much! It was fun putting together for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Nice honest review.
    I hope! Thing is I love both products, don`t get me wrong, I just think Wolfgang holds the edge. Especially since on other peoples cars Wolfgang never streaked for me like UIGP did. It was the first and really only time UIGP left me sad, but it made me love Wolfgang that much more because it worked when UIGP didn`t for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos for a great review! Very good observations and your comments make me want to try Wolfgang.

I`ve been using Ultima for some time now and personally have never had a streaking problem on the 2 interiors I work on most often, one tan leather and trim, the other black leather and trim.

I also agree that I absolutely LOVE sliding into my leather seats after treatment with the Ultima. The silky smooth feeling is just something that one has to experience to understand. I think I read in one of CEE DOG`s reviews that he liked Ultima and sometimes caught himself just running his fingers over his interior while sitting at stop signs. As crazy as that sounds, I totally understand and have to agree with that observation...

...the tactile feeling of these interior dressings is just as important as the appearance it gives, and for me, Ultima delivers on both counts.

Thanks for the work you put into writing a very helpful review.

Best,

Steve

P.S. -- Go Pack Go!

Post Thanks / Like

Just happened to think of something I wanted to add. If there is any downside to UIGP, it might be the smell. While not offensive by any means, I wish it had an intentionally pleasant smell. Like I said, it isn`t bad and really doesn`t smell like much of anything, and I feel the product could be improved in this area.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent comparisons!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    Kudos for a great review! Very good observations and your comments make me want to try Wolfgang.

I`ve been using Ultima for some time now and personally have never had a streaking problem on the 2 interiors I work on most often, one tan leather and trim, the other black leather and trim.

I also agree that I absolutely LOVE sliding into my leather seats after treatment with the Ultima. The silky smooth feeling is just something that one has to experience to understand. I think I read in one of CEE DOG`s reviews that he liked Ultima and sometimes caught himself just running his fingers over his interior while sitting at stop signs. As crazy as that sounds, I totally understand and have to agree with that observation...

...the tactile feeling of these interior dressings is just as important as the appearance it gives, and for me, Ultima delivers on both counts.

Thanks for the work you put into writing a very helpful review.

Best,

Steve

P.S. -- Go Pack Go!
    Thanks Steve! Sorry about Aaron Rogers. He`s my fantasy QB in my league, I feel Packers fans sadness too.

Great observations though. Wolfgang is worth the try, you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    Just happened to think of something I wanted to add. If there is any downside to UIGP, it might be the smell. While not offensive by any means, I wish it had an intentionally pleasant smell. Like I said, it isn`t bad and really doesn`t smell like much of anything, and I feel the product could be improved in this area.

Both products don`t have the most pleasant of odors, I will say that!

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Excellent comparisons!
    Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Great review!
    Wow Roshan, thanks for coming back and commenting. You`re missed, how`s school? How`s the worlds best future dentist doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely Stunning Review!!!

Thread Information