Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar Rinse

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar Rinse

We often read that`s it`s important to rinse our quality MF towels with vinegar.

Does the vinegar rinse make a difference? Let`s find out.

I`ll be using Heinz Cleaning Vinegar.
    Cost: $2.40 gallon
    A very economical cleaner.

According to Heinz website:

Heinz® All Natural Cleaning Vinegar

Heinz Cleaning Vinegar is a safe, versatile cleaner that can be used throughout your home. It`s made from sun-ripened grain and crystal-clear water, so it`s safe for cooking and perfect for cleaning. Formulated with special cleaning strength, Heinz Cleaning Vinegar is a cost-effective alternative to harsh cleaners and chemicals.
    Ingredients:
    Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a special cleaning strength of 6% acidity.

That is 20% stronger than regular White Vinegar.

Towels

I`ll be using (15) 16 X 16 Poorboy`s Ultra Mega Towel - dedicated wax removal and final buffing towels. The towels were previously used to remove Prima Epic Sealant and Fuzion LSP. Towels were washed in Micro Restore hot water solution followed by a usual warm water double rinse then dried for 30 minutes on Med-High heat.

Front Load Washing Machine set to Soak/Rinse/Spin. Five minute soak; ten minute rinse; 3 minute high spin.

Vinegar added: 1 teaspoon per towel, or 15 teaspoons (5 tablespoons)

Laundry tub plugged.

Does Vinegar make a difference?

It sure does!

The rinse water was gray. Not dark gray, but gray enough to indicate there was residue embedded in the towel that plain water did not rinse away during the previous wash.

The towels were very noticeably more plush and fluffy. Most likely because the residue was rinsed away.

The most dramatic evidence of cleanliness and performance was a stack of 6 towels, folded in quarters, actually grew 1 3/8" in height after vinegar rinse, drying and refolding.

I`ll be using the Heinz Cleaning Vinegar when washing every load of MF towels.

I`m sold on it!

Charlie`s Soap is my usual choice for MF detergent. I will do a follow up test to compare findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinegar Rinse

great info. May be I will try it as a MF presoak before I do my MF wash cycle with MF cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

It will work best as the final rinse, versus a pre-soak.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report and interesting results. After starting to use Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner I did not need to use vinegar. It seemed to rinse out easier than Micro Restore.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I`ll have to give this a try once I figure out how to configure my machine for a wash cycle similar to yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report and interesting results. After starting to use Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner I did not need to use vinegar. It seemed to rinse out easier than Micro Restore.
    It may be informative if you gather some rinse water before and after a vinegar rinse.

Interesting, I`ll have to give this a try once I figure out how to configure my machine for a wash cycle similar to yours.
    Measure it out and use the Rinse/Softener dispenser to achieve the same results. It will automatically dispense the vinegar during rinse cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report.

Not to question your results but I would recommend testing this a few more times just to make sure your results are consistent. Is it possible that one set of towels were slightly dirtier to begin with?

Also, I would be afraid to dry MF towels on med-high heat. I only use low heat to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I have switched to using vinegar only with nothing else at first and then re-washing with baking soda. Towels come out super soft. This idea was passed on to me from another detailer and has truly impressed me with the results. The vinegar helps remove the old detergent build up trapped in the microfibers. As I`ve been told by a old friend "Keep it simple" .
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Not to question your results but I would recommend testing this a few more times just to make sure your results are consistent. Is it possible that one set of towels were slightly dirtier to begin with?
    The towels were used to remove a sealant and a wax and were pre-washed prior to testing the vinegar rinse.

I believe the vinegar rinse broke down the residues that have been building up in the towels. This was my first use of vinegar in a long time.

I have switched to using vinegar only with nothing else at first and then re-washing with baking soda. Towels come out super soft. This idea was passed on to me from another detailer and has truly impressed me with the results. The vinegar helps remove the old detergent build up trapped in the microfibers. As I`ve been told by a old friend "Keep it simple" .
    How many ounces of vinegar do you use per load?

Post Thanks / Like

I use vinegar in ALL my laundry final rinse cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

I use between 1/2-3/4 cup a vinegar for a large load on a top loading machine. I also use 1/2 cup of baking soda on the second step.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

I use that same Heinz vinegar and it does indeed make towels softer and cleaner.
    I have also stopped using microfiber specific washes and I see no difference from them compared to the All free and clear that I use for my laundry.

Very nice write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup. I always use vinegar as a rinse for my MF towels. I may give some of this a try.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great write up from one of our great members from Autopiaforums.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post

I use between 1/2-3/4 cup a vinegar for a large load on a top loading machine. I also use 1/2 cup of baking soda on the second step.
    No particular measurement. Just a couple "glugs" from the big vinegar bottle and a scoop of baking soda. Actually I do it completely opposite from how you do it. Baking soda with soap cycle and vinegar with rinse cycle. Baking soda supplements the soap and vinegar helps remove remaining soap and acts like a fabric softener safe for MFs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information