Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection Review PART 2

Here is the follow-up to this thread: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

Part 1 Quoted Below:

Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection (from Autopia-CarCare.com)

Coats your vehicle in a bug, chip, and scratch-resistant film

• Ideal solution to protect your vehicle from airborne objects
    • Dries to thick, invisible shell over your paint
    • Offers many protective benefits

Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection is one of the most innovative products for paint care on the market today. This unique spray-on film dries to a thick, hard, protective shell that seals the paint under an invisible film of protection. Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection forms a film that is strong enough to resist sand blasting and minor rock chips! Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection is the ultimate protectant for road trips, mechanic visits, track days, and more!

Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection prevents objects from contacting and damaging your paint. Acid rain and bird bombs will be held onto of the film, away from the paint. Acidic bug splatter will not penetrate the film. Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection also provides protection against abrasion, including sand blasting and minor rock chips. It is the ultimate in paint protection!

What really makes Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection stand out is how easy it is to remove. To remove Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection, simply rinse with a strong jet of water then wash normally. Any bird bombs, bug splatter and road tar that has landed onto of “The Mask” will wash away with it. Protecting your paint has never been easier and clean-up has never been simpler.

Do not apply Wolf`s “The Mask” Spray On Protection to glass.

Here is a product that seems too good to be true! Spray it on, protect your paint from insect damage and minor road rash/sand blasting, wash it off! Does it work?

I wanted to run "The Mask" through it`s paces on my Mazdaspeed 3. Currently "The Mask" is being run through the paces as I built up a thick layer of bug residue on the front to see how quickly it wipes off. For this reason I am splitting the review into two parts. In this, Part One, we will focus on the application.

Directions: (from Autopia-CarCare.com)

1. Shake “The Mask” well before use.
    2. Thoroughly wash and dry surface to be protected.
    3. Spray “The Mask” liberally to the desired area using a spray bottle and leave to dry. Do not assist the product in any way while it is setting. It will dry clear and flat on its own.
    4. To remove, simply wash with soap and water. Reapply when necessary.

To start, I washed the front of my Mazdaspeed 3 and allowed it to dry thoroughly.

After shaking the bottle thoroughly, I sprayed a liberal and even coat over the front bumper and leading edge of the hood (including the headlights).

Each squeeze of the trigger lays a fine-mist coat over the surface.

In some areas a few bubbles were noticeable.

I also wanted to test how "The Mask" would alter the gloss and appearance of the paint. Would it form a thick film? Would it dull the color? I sprayed a light mist onto parts of the carbonfiber vinyl surrounding the hood scoop.

Do not touch! Allow to dry on it its own! Wolf`s Chemicals is very specific in the instructions. Shortly after application, "The Mask" begins to level. On some of the vertical surfaces, such as the front bumper, it began to run. How would this affect the application?

A few lingering wet spots approx. 10-15 minutes after application.

After 20 minutes the product had completely cured and leveled. As you can see, there is no dulling of the surface or dramatic change in shine. In fact, except for a slightly different feel upon touch, it was impossible to detect that "The Mask" had been applied.

No runs, no drips, no errors. Just complete self-leveling with a high-gloss finish.

To test the limits of "The Mask" and really put its Ease-Of-Use to the test, I OVER APPLIED it to the front bumper, squeezing the trig until a thick layer saturated the surface.

Amazingly the product cured without any problems.

Here is a picture of the front end the next morning. There was NO LOSS in gloss, NO OPAQUE FILM, NO CHANGE IN SURFACE TEXTURE, or NO RUNS. The surface looked perfectly normal.

Stay Tuned:

For Part Two we will let the Mazda built up bug residue, dirt, and remains for the next 6 weeks (already half way there) as well as allow it to sit outside in the Florida sun and rain.

Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection Review PART 2

Nearly 6 weeks have passed since I initially applied Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection to the front bumper, headlight covers, and leading edge of the the hood on my Mazdaspeed 3. Since that time the Mazda has been left to sit outside, enduring both Florida`s famous sunlight and near daily thunderstorms. In those 6 weeks, the Mazdaspeed 3 saw many highway miles at dawn, blasting insect carcasses into the paint.

An interesting note: the front was covered with more bug residue, but a high-powered thunderstorm rinsed away much of the residue. Whether this was from "The Mask" (which is water soluble) rinsing away, taking the bug remains with it, or a case of how well "The Mask" protects is impossible to determine. The end result was the same however.

Bug remains on the front of the Mazdaspeed 3.

Test One: Rinsing with Water.

Since "The Mask" is water soluable (although will require washing with soap and water for complete removal), a blast of water should remove most of the coating, and thus, many of the bugs trapped above the coating. Keep in mind that many of these bugs have been on the front of the bumper for 6 weeks.

The results were clear. 90% or more of the dried on bugs simply rinsed away.

Test Two: Washing.

In the second test, I washed the bumper with BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Conditioning Shampoo. This should, in effect, remove all of the Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection thus removing all of the bug remains...

Did it work...

Yes!!!

Conclusion:

Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection seems to offer a durable layer of clear (non-gloss hindering) protection that offers incredible protection against bug remains. While the front of my car does have some bug etching damage (light), there was no additional damage to be found. "The Mask" help up over 6 weeks of tough weather, keeping the insect carcasses off the paint.

Observed Benefits:

• Dried out bug remains were easy to remove.
    • Tar rinsed away.
    • No new damage from bug damage

Additional Claimed Benefits:
    • Scratch Resistance
    • Abrasion Resistance

I could not test for scuff, scratch, or road blast abrasion resistance, although given the other benefits, I would estimate that the claimed benefits are true as well.

Ultimately, I found Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection to be a valuable product in the never ending pursuit of protection. I was pleased by how easy it was to apply and how clear (non-gloss hindering) it cured. It is a product that every car lover should have on his shelf.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolf`s Chemicals "The Mask" Spray On Protection Review PART 2

Lets say you endured no rain for the 6 weeks, how long would this product last?

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Todd! I`ll have to get some of that!

Post Thanks / Like

you would think driving in a thunderstorm at highway speeds would completely remove it altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    Lets say you endured no rain for the 6 weeks, how long would this product last?
    My understanding is until it is washed off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    you would think driving in a thunderstorm at highway speeds would completely remove it altogether.
    Yes I would have thought so as well. However, at least in my experience it may have reduced it, but did not remove it completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Todd. This seems like a great product when traveling to a car meet/show.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this have to be applied to bare paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Does this have to be applied to bare paint?
    It can be applied over wax or any other LSP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    It can be applied over wax or any other LSP.
    Very cool. Wish it didn`t wash off so easy, but it seems to be a very innovative product.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Wish it didn`t wash off so easy, but it seems to be a very innovative product.
    Even with this (which is an advantage when you are trying to remove it) it is so good in other areas that its almost too good to be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Todd. It looks like a really cool product.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

thats another great test/review

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this and did a test spot on the front bumper of my truck and after an hour it still wasn`t cured and left the chrome looking kind of stained. Is this normal? I applied outside and it is cool (73) and very humid today.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

How much product did you end up using, can you tell? Is there a larger size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information