Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review & How-To: Ultima Waterless Wash Plus

Product Review & How-To: Ultima Waterless Wash Plus
    Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+, Ultima waterless car wash, waterless auto wash, spray wash

Description: (Taken from Autopia`s website)

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate

Economical and Environmentally Friendly
    Just 1/2 Ounce Makes 22 Ounces Ready To Use Spray Wash
    Just 1 Ounce Make 3 Gallons of No Rinse Car Wash Solution

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate is a hyper-concentrate that can be used to make the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ spray wash formula or as a no rinse car wash solution in bucket. Either way, Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ will not only meet your expectations, it will exceed them in both cleaning ability and gloss enhancement!

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ QUICKLY and SAFELY cleans painted surfaces, chrome, plastic, glass and wheels without the use of water. No hoses! No rinsing! No drying! This Boosted by PolychargerTM formula not only cleans your vehicle’s surfaces, it protects from the harsh elements and harmful UV rays.

Price:

$9.99 for 22oz (RTU)
    $20.99 for 16oz (Concentrate)
    $119.99 for 128oz (Concentrate)

Introduction:

If you have recently read my review on ONR Wash & Wax (Review & How-To: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum), you know how I was afraid to try doing a rinseless wash. It took me a long time to get over it and finally take the plunge to try it. Actually, living conditions forced me to try it. With that said, waterless washing was even scarier!!! I mean how would you have enough lubrication and not scratch your paint by spraying product on the surface right?

I never really paid any attention to waterless washes until Meguiar`s came out with their Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere. I`m a big Meguiar`s nut and I love everything about them. I`ve been driving all the way to Irvine, CA to hangout in their Thursday Night Open Garages. I was fortunate enough to get a demo from MOL administrator himself, Michael Stoops. After that and his assurance, I was hooked.

Now let me show you how I do a waterless wash.

How-To Do A Waterless Car Wash:

I`m not going to type the product`s directions but instead show you:

I first start off by misting the waterless wash solution on the panel I`m working on. It is important to point out that you should work on small sections at a time. You can even break down an entire panel if you want to. No one`s rushing you. Take your time because technique is EXTREMELY important here.

The directions say to lightly mist the surface. I think I tend to spray more than I have to but I`d rather to do that for peace of mind and to reduce the potential of scratching. Here`s a shot on how much product is on the surface:

As I mentioned above, technique is very important here. You will need lots of microfiber towels. Don`t feel bad if you have to use more than you have to. It`s easier to wash your dirty microfiber towels than to polish out swirls and scratches created by a dirty towel.

I learned the technique I`m going to show you from the MOL administrator himself, Michael Stoops. Since everybody is now calling a way of doing things with "their name" method, I`m going to dub this technique the

"Michael Stoops Waterless Wash Method" or MSWWM for short.

For reference, here is the thread that he started in MOL: Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere - Tips & Tricks

So what you do is you fold your microfiber towel into a manageable size. I folded my Meguiar`s Supreme Shine microfiber towel 3x. What you do is you keep the microfiber towel flat on the surface and perform a swipe as shown below:

How long you swipe will highly depend on how soiled the surface is. It`s really a judgement call and totally up to you. If you want to be safer then you can stop halfway.

After your first swipe, you will see a line of dirt in your microfiber towel as shown below:

What you do next is tilt the microfiber towel to expose a clean part of that same fold. That way, you`re not rubbing around the dirt taken from the first swipe on the paint surface. This is what I mean. This is a shot of me doing the second swipe of that same panel with the microfiber towel titled:

Here`s a picture showing the 2nd line of dirt from the 2nd swipe. As you can see, the dirt was embedded on a different section than the first swipe. The dirt from the first swipe never had contact in the paint.

Now you keep on repeating this until you`ve soiled that side of the microfiber towel. Here`s a shot showing the third swipe:

Consequently, here`s a shot showing the 3rd line of dirt:

As you can see, majority of this specific side of the towel is already soiled. What you do next is flip the towel and expose a clean side and keep on repeating.

After you`re done with washing the panel you`re working on, you`ll use a 2nd dry microfiber towel to buff off the excess product away.

Here`s another set of pictures of me showing the Michael Stoops Waterless Wash Method:

Spray the section you`re working on. In this case, I`m working on the driver side half of the hood:

Again, here`s the amount of product that I sprayed on the surface:

First swipe:

Dirt from the first swipe:

Second swipe:

Third swipe:

Dirt from multiple swipes:

Now as you use up all the clean sides of the microfiber towel, that whole towel will be soiled and your towel should look something like this:

What you do next is you use your drying towel as your cleaning towel and get a new towel as your drying towel. As your towels become soiled, you will repeat this rotating process between the drying towel and the cleaning towel.

For this 2011 Subaru WRX STi that I cleaned for this review, I used up 5 towels. I also used up 80% of the UWW+ bottle because the vehicle was extremely dirty. The number of towels and how much product you`ll use will vary depending on how dirty the vehicle is and your judgement.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Ultima Waterless Wash Plus

Vehicle Pictures:

Here are some 50/50 shots of the product working. I`m sorry if the difference isn`t as noticeable but I was having a hard time capturing the dirt on the paint. The blue was bright and was flushing out the dirt I`m trying to capture.

Left - clean. Right - dirty: (pic below)

Left - dirty. Right - clean: (pic below)

It also works great on glass!!! Left - clean. Right - dirty: (pic below)

Now here are some before/afters:

Before 1:

After 1:

Before 2:

After 2:

Before 3:

After 3:

Before 4:

After 4:

Before 5:

After 5:

Before 6: rear bumper

After 6:

Photoshoot and Gloss Pictures:

Opinions and Observations:
    This waterless wash cleans the surface safe and effectively. Of course, proper lubrication, good technique and common sense are all needed. The product also provides good slickness. The owner of the vehicle judged this after the wash and he definitely said that it added some slickness to the surface. The vehicle hasn`t been washed for a couple of months and has driven through mild rain. Despite this, UWW+ worked really well.

I would like to take this opportunity and compare this to my favorite waterless wash, the Meguiar`s Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere. The Meguiar`s UWWA still feels like it has slightly better cleaning ability but a lot more slickness than UWW+. I think the slightly better cleaning ability is coming from the higher slickness the UWWA provides. It just feels like the towel is gliding smoother. I`m not saying that UWW+ is bad because it is no slouch by any means. UWW+ is GREAT and works very well but I still prefer Meg`s UWWA more. The best analogy for this is that UWW+ is a BMW 550i and the Meg`s UWWA is a BMW M5. Do you think that the 550i is a bad car? Heck no! It`s an awesome car! But the M5 is better right?

The smell of this product is pleasant. I think it has some sort of citrus smell but I`m not exactly sure. It`s not bad so the makes the user experience more pleasant.

It`s time to talk about price. This is Meguiar`s UWWA`s disadvantage. I find this product very expensive and this is what led me to the UWW+. The RTU UWW+ is not bad at $9.99 but I got mine on BOGO so it was only $5 a bottle. I think it`s a good deal at $5 a bottle. But if you`re going to convert to waterless washing and use it more often from now on, you need to look at the concentrate. This is where UWW+ shines!!! The concentrate only costs $20.99 for a 16oz bottle. It only uses 0.5oz of concentrate for every 22oz of water that will give you one RTU bottle!!! So that gives you 32 RTU bottles which makes each RTU bottle cost only a whopping $0.66!!! How can you beat that!!!! Even if I use one whole bottle per car, I wouldn`t feel bad at all!!! The price point is AMAZING and of course the product works well too! You can`t beat that.

Conclusion:

If you`re afraid to use waterless washes, it`s ok. You have the right to be afraid. But I`m here to guarantee you that this type of technology advancement works. Again, you need to use good technique such as the Michael Stoops Waterless Wash Method, good product such as UWW+ and of course common sense. I`m a living testament on how well these products work. I`ve been doing waterless wash on/off for the past 6 months and our vehicles didn`t add a lot of scratches. If a guy like me can do it properly, I`m sure you can to. UWW+ is indeed a great product and at a cost of $0.66 per RTU bottle with the concentrate, it`s a no brainer.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been doing this for over a year (no garage). Going through my second gallon of UWWP. I like to call the wiping method, the "roll method."

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review and how-to, Marc!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pictorial review Marc. As you noted, there are judgment calls involved in waterless wash, and I personally would have judged this vehicle too dirty and with water-set dirt. However, it seems you got good results so maybe I should consider loosening up my WW rules.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for taking the time for such a good review.

Post Thanks / Like

UWW+ is my favorite detailer, period. Can`t be beat for price, aroma, performance, in my opinion. I always buy the concentrate and I use it both for rinseless and waterless washes. Just an outstanding product, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, and for a waterless wash on Subaru paint no less!

ONR is hard to beat IMO for rinseless washes but UWW+ is quickly becoming my favorite for waterless, QDing and touch ups. Smell is incredible, easy to work with, and very very effective in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Marc. Thanks for taking the time to share. UWW+ is my favorite waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Appreciate the detailed photos of the wiping method.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. It is actually interesting to read about a product that someone considers better than UWW+.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments guys! Glad you guys enjoyed it. This is one of my favorite products right now. You just can`t beat how well it works and how cheap it is to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Been doing this for over a year (no garage). Going through my second gallon of UWWP. I like to call the wiping method, the "roll method."
    2nd gallon of UWW+?!? How often do you wash your cars? I don`t think I`ll even finish a gallon LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 View Post
    Thanks for the pictorial review Marc. As you noted, there are judgment calls involved in waterless wash, and I personally would have judged this vehicle too dirty and with water-set dirt. However, it seems you got good results so maybe I should consider loosening up my WW rules.
    I thought it was also too dirty but I had to use a dirty vehicle for this review. He was the only one who volunteered. I want to use my car but it`s not dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by dooyaunastan View Post
    Great review, and for a waterless wash on Subaru paint no less!

ONR is hard to beat IMO for rinseless washes but UWW+ is quickly becoming my favorite for waterless, QDing and touch ups. Smell is incredible, easy to work with, and very very effective in general.
    You`re spot on regarding UWW+. Smell is awesome and very easy to work with. I sometimes use this as a QD as well. I mean it comes out cheaper than a QD and has more lubricants that a QD? How can you go wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Thanks for the review. It is actually interesting to read about a product that someone considers better than UWW+.
    Yeah I think Meg`s UWWA is slightly better but the cost difference doesn`t justify that marginal performance difference. Do you think that UWW+ performs better Al?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Yeah I think Meg`s UWWA is slightly better but the cost difference doesn`t justify that marginal performance difference. Do you think that UWW+ performs better Al?
    I have never used Meg`s but never heard anyone say there is something better. I consider that good.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the How-To!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information