Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

(A) Wisdom of Waterless

(A) Wisdom of Waterless

Introduction

I asked in my raft of rinselesses review (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-roundup.html) if a similar survey of waterless washes would be welcome. No one said "Yes" but I decided to write one anyway.

Please note - these are just my opinions/observations and they do not necessarily reflect those of AutopiaForums, Autopia Car Care or anyone else but me. I am also not even claiming that my opinion/observation is correct and/or the only one. If you disagree, please feel free to state so - it will not hurt my feelings (much). If you think it could be related to my technique, again, say so and also how I could do it better. After all, I have already purchased these products and would like to get the most out of them. And I like learning ways to do better. I promise to try your suggestions and, if my opinion/observation changes, I will update here.

In case you are wondering about the title, I was trying to come up with a clever alliteration based on one of the gaggle of animal group names (Animal Groups) our British cousins created - no doubt as part of some drinking game. I, in no way, am trying to equate waterless washes and wombats.

What is a Waterless Wash?

From a site I occasionally visit, "Waterless washes and rinseless washes are the safe, simple way to wash your car without a water hose. With a waterless wash, you just spray and wipe with a soft microfiber towel to remove light dust and fingerprints. A rinseless wash dilutes in a small amount of water to create a car wash solution that does not require rinsing. They are loaded with lubricants to protect the vehicle from abrasion. Waterless and rinseless washes are both excellent options for people living in apartments or condos, in water-restricted areas, or they can be used during the winter months, when washing the car outside isn’t ideal. Give your vehicle a quick detail any time! Our waterless car wash and rinseless car wash products make it easy and quick to maintain a clean vehicle even when you can’t wash it."

Waterless product use polymers to encapsulate dirt and lift from the paint so it can be taken away by a MF.

In some ways, I think of them as a super-cleaning QD. Is used similarly but will clean better/safer. QDs generally leave a glossier finish, though.

BTW - from a value standpoint, concentrates are the way to go. No sense in paying for water to ship to the manufacturer to ACC and then to you. Of course, rinseless washes are much more cost effective and IMHO can clean dirtier vehicles.

When & where I use a waterless wash

While I use waterless washes on virtually every detail, I rarely use them to actually wash a car. Other than the video below, it has probably been about six months since I had done that and doubt I`ll do it again in the near future. Not that it is bad or unsafe but I feel better about rinseless washing and, with the technique demonstrated in the Rinseless Roundup, it is about as fast. I am more confident cleaning dirtier cars safely and rinseless washing is significantly more cost effective. However, as previously noted, I still frequently use waterless products and believe they will always have a place in my arsenal.

I also have not used a WW on a dirty car. If you used enough solution, you probably could but a rinseless would be a far more economical option. In my spectrum of uses:

QD - freshly washed car
    WW - dusty to very lightly dirty
    Rinseless - dirty (add foaming and pressure rinse to attack even dirtier)
    Traditional - very dirty.

I will also use for Waterspots (post drying - post rain I generally rinseless), bird bombs, bugs, door & trunk jambs and final wheel clean (after more aggressive methods). I do not find WWs to leave glass clear to my satisfaction.

My wash method

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfv-SYc9LzE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfv-SYc9LzE[/ame]

Figure on using 6-8oz per wash (on a mid-size sedan). I used 2 660 GSM MFs and 1 plush MF.

Like I said in my rinseless write-up, the dirtier the car, the more towels you use - even more so here.

My criteria

1) Cleans well without marring
    2) Final finish of paint - notably streakiness
    3) Cost effectiveness
    4) Scent.

There is no particular significance to the order below (alphabetical).

Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash (BF WDWW)

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate

Size............Cost............RTU $/oz
    16 oz..........$19.99..........$0.42
    64 oz..........$49.99..........$0.16...........Sale price: $39.99
    128 oz.........$69.99..........$0.11...........Sale price: $59.99

Autopia Car Care description:
    "Safe, waterless washing plus shine-boosting polymers!

Safely cleans paint, chrome, plastics, glass, and metals.
    High lubricity polymers protect surfaces from marring.
    1:4 dilution ratio.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate gives you the quick cleaning convenience of a waterless wash in a money-saving concentrate. Once diluted according to the directions, this high lubricity waterless wash loosens light dirt and dust so they wipe away easily. Fingerprints and smudges disappear. Meanwhile, anti-static polymers bond to the paint to reinforce the existing protection and enhance the shine. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate is an incredible value, too.

If you washed your vehicle every time a little dust settled on it, you`d be washing it every day! The fact is that our clean vehicles have to face the outdoors and they are going to get dirty, often far sooner than we`d like. To make it easier to keep vehicles clean between washes, manufacturers developed waterless washes. These spray-and-wipe cleaners are quick, convenient, and they do remove dirt... but BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate does all that and saves you money.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash removes dust and dirt PLUS it protects the existing wax or paint sealant. Built-in Wet Diamond polymers - the same found in BLACKFIRE`s revolutionary paint sealant - bond to the vehicle to reinvigorate the shine and boost the paint protection. These polymers are anti-static, meaning they do not attract dust or dirt. When you use BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate, the results last longer than a couple hours - they can last a few days because less dirt sticks.

Added UV protectants in BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate keep your paint finish vibrant and rich.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate works on paint, clear coats, glass, metal, and plastics. It delivers a just-detailed shine without streaking or clouding. For the best results, work out of direct sunlight and use a clean, soft microfiber towel, like the Cobra Super Plush Deluxe 600. Flip the towel often to use a clean side.

If you want your waterless wash to do more but cost less, you need BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate."

Like other Blackfire products, it leaves that ineffibly gorgeous whiplash-inducing finish, cleans well, smells great. It is on the pricy side. Of course, that didn`t stop me from buying 2 more bottles this week.

Full review: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...less-wash.html

Detailer`s Pro Waterless Wash

Detailer`s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate

32 oz..........$19.99..........$0.16
    128 oz.........$49.99..........$0.10

"To make the perfect waterless wash – just add water.

Makes four 32 oz. bottles of waterless wash!

Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate gives you the cleaning power and convenience of Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash in a money-saving concentrate. Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate is formulated to clean well while it protects the paint with slicker shine-enhancing polymers. Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash removes dirt and grime like a first rate car wash and has the added benefit of a clear, protective coating that enhances any surface.

The beauty of a waterless wash is that it is incredibly fast and you don`t have to deal with a bucket and hose. You can wash your car on your lunch break if you want. It will take you five minutes and your vehicle will look like you spent all morning detailing it.

Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate makes four 32 oz. spray bottles of waterless wash (per a 3:1 dilution ratio). Application requires only a microfiber towel. You can wash your vehicle any time, anywhere!

Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate lifts contaminants - such as dirt, grease, oil, and bird droppings - off the vehicle’s exterior just like a regular car wash. The high lubricity formula is packed with surface-protecting polymers to prevent scratching. When used with a plush microfiber towel, Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate is a safe, fast, and effective way to regain a just-washed shine.

Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate does more than wash your vehicle – it leaves a clear coating of protection! The polymers bond to the vehicle to enhance cleaned surfaces. The coating is crystal clear and barely perceptible, except you’ll notice a richer finish. Use Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate on paint, glass, plastics, and metal. Use it on the wheels, tires, and exterior rubber trim, too.

There’s no waterless wash as versatile as Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate! Use it inside the vehicle to clean and protect dashboards, door panels, vinyl, and plastics. It dries clear and clean to the touch, and it will not attract dust.

Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate is the perfect solution to washing your vehicle when time is limited or when the weather is not working in your favor. It’s also an excellent product for a professional detailer to use to give a vehicle a final wipe- down before returning it to a customer. The blend of cleaning agents and lubricants will allow you to safely wash your vehicle without water!

Use Detailer’s Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate to make your detailing dollar go further while maintaining a spotless vehicle."

The best smelling (orange sherbet) WW to me. Does its job well. A bit wetter than most of the others - I think it may be safer but takes a bit longer to wipe off.

A good deal if you catch it on BOGO.

EcoTouch Waterless Wash

Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash Concentrate 16 oz.

16oz............$19.99..........$0.11

"Concentrated cleaning!

Super concentrated, makes 176 oz. of cleaning solution.
    Dilute 10 parts water with 1 part solution.
    Promotes lustrous shine and beading.

Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash is a spray-on/wipe off cleaner which safely removes surface contaminants and leaves your car absolutely spotless. This formula is designed to `lift` dirt away from your car`s paint to help ensure a scratch-free finish. The powerful surfactants break down road grime, while polymers leave a smooth and protected finish. Plus, the spray-on method eliminates untreated runoff and conserves 20-100 gallons of water per wash."

This was the first waterless product I ever used. I like it and believe it cleans extremely well. It is very wet - something I think is good for paint safety but is a bit harder to wipe off.

My full review: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ncentrate.html

Meguiars Wash & Wax Anywhere

Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere 26 oz.

26oz...........$14.99..........$0.58

"Give your ride the Meguiars touch anywhere the road takes you!

Removes moderate dirt, grime, and soiling easily.
    Leaves behind Meguiars hydrophobic wax protection.
    1 bottle will do 3 to 5 average sized cars.

Meguiars has taken the power of their Ultimate Wash & Wax and transformed it into a spray-and-wipe wash that is perfect for urban dwellers, those with limited access to water, or the hot rodder that just arrived at a cruise, Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere safely lifts away dirt and grime while leaving behind a protective layer of hydrophobic wax. In as little as 15 minutes, this new formula can morph a drab and dirty appearance into a stunning, clean & shiny car, without a drop of water. What`s more, depending on how dirty the car is, a single bottle, along with the help of a few microfiber towels can wash & wax up to five average sized cars.

To use this spray, simply mist onto the surface of the vehicle and wipe away using a Meguiars Supreme Shine or other high quality microfiber towel. Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere`s unique chemistry insures a scratch-free finish when used as directed, as special lubricants and cleaning agents safely loosen and then gently remove the dirt. Follow with a quick wipe from a clean, dry towel and the surface is left with a beautiful, glossy, just-waxed finish. Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere is also safe to use on all wheel types, plus rubber, vinyl and glass."

Used it for the first time in the video above. I bought it locally a couple of days ago because I got hit with a bird bomb while at work.

Very pleasant scent, extremely slick and glossy finish. All RTUs are expensive per oz but this one especially so. Really nice product but too pricy for me to use regularly.

Optimum Opti-Clean (OOC)

Optimum Opti Clean Concentrate

32 oz..........$15.99..........$0.12
    128 oz........$39.99..........$0.08

"When diluting the concentrate, use Di-ionized or Reverse Osmosis water for best results. Dilute one part concentrate with 3 parts water.

Optimum Opti-Clean is the most advanced waterless wash in the marketplace. It is designed to wipe away dirt and grime from automotive paint and other surfaces safely and effectively in a spray and wipe application. Optimum Opti-Clean contains the same proven polymer system that is used in the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine as well as additional polymers that add greater lubricity and protection to the paint. Simply spray Optimum Opti-Clean on any surface and wipe off with a plush microfiber towel till the area is clean and dry.

Optimum Opti-Clean is available in ready to use 17 oz. size or in 4x concentrate in 32 oz. and gallon sizes. Simply spray Optimum Opti-Clean liberally on the painted surfaces and wipe with a clean plush microfiber towel. The substantive polymers encapsulate the dirt and grime to protect the paint from marring while lubricating and bonding to the painted and other automotive surfaces to provide greater protection while leaving a slick glossy finish behind."

My OptiClean is a bit more than a year old so don`t know if it is the latest. All in all, pretty good - not outstanding but good.

Poorboy`s World Spray & Wipe

Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash

16 ounce.....$8.99...........$0.56
    32 ounces....$14.99..........$0.47
    1 Gallon.......$32.99..........$0.26

"Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash safely cleans vehicles between traditional car washes.
    High lubricity formula prevents scratches.
    Does not remove existing wax or sealant.

Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash is the easiest way to keep your vehicle looking clean and shiny between washes. This lubricating waterless wash removes dust, light dirt, fingerprints, and smudges with a simple spray and wipe.

Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash is alcohol-free and contains no wax or silicones. Use it on any type of wax or paint sealant to keep it looking clean and fresh.

For the best results, only use Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash on paint that is only lightly dirty. This is a maintenance product and isn’t meant to replace regular washing. Use Poorboy’s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash any time between washes to keep your vehicle looking great. Use a microfiber towel to gently clean the paint."

I haven`t used Spray & Wipe as a WW (only as a QD). I don`t like it quite as much as Beemerboy but is quite good. Beautiful wet-looking, glossy, slick finish. Did note it collecting a bit more dust on my car than some of the others. Is hurt value-wise by being an RTU only.

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+)

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate

16oz............$20.99..........$0.03

"Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate

Economical and Environmentally Friendly
    Just 1/2 Ounce Makes 22 Ounces Ready To Use Spray Wash
    Just 1 Ounce Make 3 Gallons of No Rinse Car Wash Solution

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate is a hyper-concentrate that can be used to make the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ spray wash formula or as a no rinse car wash solution in bucket. Either way, Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ will not only meet your expectations, it will exceed them in both cleaning ability and gloss enhancement!

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ QUICKLY and SAFELY cleans painted surfaces, chrome, plastic, glass and wheels without the use of water. No hoses! No rinsing! No drying! This Boosted by PolychargerTM formula not only cleans your vehicle`s surfaces, it protects from the harsh elements and harmful UV rays."

UWW+ is my favorite waterless wash. It does everything as well or better than the others but blows up the cost curve. If my math is right, the 16oz bottle will make 5.5 gallons of waterless at RTU strength.

I have not used Griot`s Garage Waterless Spray On Car Wash (Griot`s Garage Waterless Spray-On Car Wash) or CG EcoSmart Waterless Wash (Chemical Guys EcoSmart Waterless Wash Concentrate) and others, I sure.

Conclusion

I am rather happy with all of the products I`ve tried and regret none of the purchases. However, IMHO, it is very hard to do better than UWW+. I`ll be sticking with it and the occasional BF going forward (plus try whatever new ones get released, no doubt).

Comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: (A) Wisdom of Waterless

I`m guessing that these products leave some chemicals behind on the surface, how to you deal with whats deposited before you wax or use a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Tom View Post
    I`m guessing that these products leave some chemicals behind on the surface, how to you deal with whats deposited before you wax or use a sealant?
    Most leave polymers behind for a little added paint protection. You could remove with an IPA wipe, Eraser or GG PreWax or use a sealant with a cleaner. The other alternative generally is to use the same manufacturer`s sealant because they generally design their products to work together.

Of course, used regularly and you don`t need to seal as often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up Mike. I love the videos on your step by step. I picked up a couple of tips
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful writeup Mike!

Thorough, detailed, easy to read and follow. I have a video camera and will try to add some to my reviews as well....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pat and Bobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, you are the man !!! You have taken the top Waterless wash products and given us great info and a starting point to begin our waterless washing search. There are so many products out there it is hard to determine which ones are better than others and which products will fit our needs and desires.
    I really appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up. I learned a few things that I`ll be using in the future and I`ll be changing part of my methods to match yours as it appears to be safer for the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write-up! Thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Good info
    `14 BMW 428ix - MSport
    `12 991 Carrera `S` PDK (Gone but not forgotten)
    `15 C7 `vette Z-51 7MT

Post Thanks / Like

Dude you are my hero..... Awesome review.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic video and comparison - thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information