Post Thanks / Like

Review: Detailer’s Pro Trim Detailer

Review: Detailer’s Pro Trim Detailer

Introduction:

After the pleasant experience with Blackfire Wet Diamond Spray Wax, the new DP aerosols seemed like a natural. Of the new products, this is the one I had the most reservations about. I`d seen other manufacturer`s aerosol trim offerings and people seemed to like it but I just didn`t get it. Thought it a good way to waste product and make a mess. But then again, what do I know?

My neighbor kindly volunteered his 2002 Mini Cooper to be the test bed. (He`s a plumber and we traded services.) Turned out to be almost the ideal car for this review because it has a fair amount of the pebbled trim all over and a couple of intricate plastic grills. For completeness, wheels were cleaned with Griot`s Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner & various brushes + sponge. Tires with Zep Citrus Degreaser (4:1) and Tuff Shine brush. Foamed and 2 bucket washed with CG Citrus Wash & Clear. Dried with WW MF. Clayed with clay substitute sponge & ONR (clay lube dilution). The paint (except for the black roof) was swirl free so decided to use Megs D151 with Flex 3401 + LC CCS Green & PCXP + 4" LC Flat Orange on the small areas just to clean it up a bit. Topped with DP Quick Wax (review to come). Tires dressed with Surf City Garage Beyond Black (in keeping with the aerosol theme -- he wanted high gloss). The trim was OK - just a little oxidized with some TOGW.

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product:

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site - Detailer’s Trim Detailer

"Give your trim the same attention you give your paint!

Aerosol application makes Trim Detailer quick and easy to apply.
    Dries to the touch.
    Safe on all exterior and interior plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces.

Detailer`s Trim Detailer works great to dress up engine bays. Check out the before and after!

What Detailer’s Max Wax does for your vehicle’s paint, Detailer’s Trim Detailer does for all the plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces inside and outside your vehicle! Detailer’s Trim Detailer is a polymer-based coating that quickly allows you to restore a like-new appearance to all plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces – inside and out! Aerosol application makes Detailer’s Trim Detailer quick and easy to use.

Professional detailers know the secret to a perfect detail, and that’s to ensure no small detail is overlooked. Unfortunately our vehicle’s engine compartment, body moldings, air conditioning ducts and other plastic and vinyl surfaces don’t receive the same attention that’s given to our vehicle’s delicate paint. Detailer’s Trim Detailer gives you the ability to provide a long-lasting, like-new appearance to all of those surfaces in just minutes!

Detailer’s Trim Detailer is designed to be applied to clean surfaces. It’s as simple as spraying on and wiping off. Can’t reach an area with a towel? Not a problem, as Detailer’s Trim Detailer will dry to the touch if not buffed right away. Aerosol application enables Detailer’s Trim Detailer to coat surfaces inside your engine bay and HVAC ducts that you could never dream of reaching with liquid-based dressings.

Stop missing out on the details and provide a like-new appearance to all plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces inside and outside of your vehicle with Detailer’s Trim Detailer."

Details:

1.- Packaging: Aerosol can
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Thin
    4.- Color: Translucent
    5.- Scent: ?
    6.- Price at time of review: 11oz = $ 12.99
    7.- Manufacturer: DP
    9.- Made in: USA

Other Products Used:

16x16 MF

Preparation:

Scrubbed trim with OPC + a brush and then thoroughly washed the car with CG CWC and dried.

Application:

Apply sparingly to surface. I used very short bursts and it kept the overspray under control. Note - I applied inside my garage. If you try outdoors, no promises. I followed immediately with a MF for low gloss look per directions. For the smaller areas, I sprayed on MF and applied.

Observations:

Nice, light smell. Very easy to control. Covers evenly - even on the dreaded pebbled trim. Used it on the cabin intake grills and the decorative stuff on the front fenders and it made short work of the those.

Does it meet its claims? Yes.

Pros:

1.- Easy to control
    2.- Very fast application
    3.- Left dark, even, low gloss finish
    4.- Nice smell

???:

1.- Durability. I don`t know but will monitor.

Cons:

1.- None I`ve found.

Final Observations and Summary:

I am writing the review on DP Trim Detailer first because I really liked it. Yes, I was wrong.

If you have a lot of pebbled plastic on your car or intricate grill areas that require dressing, this is your product. I was impressed with the control of the spray and how evenly and quickly that I could cover the areas With a quick wipe, it left a dark, even, new look on some faded hard trim.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Detailer’s Pro Trim Detailer

Another excellent review! Thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Mike !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Mike how did you keep it off the paint on trim close to the paint. I vision it to be like spray paint in application.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Im a big fan of aerosol dressings, especially for interior use. I may give this stuff a shot sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd, Pat and Mr Clean.

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Mike how did you keep it off the paint on trim close to the paint. I vision it to be like spray paint in application.
    I tried to apply it like I was painting the trim. Light, sweeping movements. For the trim on the lower parts of the car, it was surprisingly easy to control just doing that. The subsequent wipe spread it to any spot I might of missed and took care of any overspray. For the grill pieces, I had a slightly diagonal attack and used the MF to mask it off. It is easier than it sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review, very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    That`s the great thing about Detailer`s Trim Detailer, if any over spray on paint or glass occurs, it wipes right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sting!

Post Thanks / Like

Another stellar review Mike!

I like the format, layout and especially the content. Very easy to read and understand making the decision to try it out a no-brainier...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobby!!

Thread Information