Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Aluminum Wheel Cleaner Review‎

I would like to thank Forrest and Jim because without their generosity these reviews wouldn’t ‎be possible and you guys would be missing out on or overlooking some very good products. ‎Mothers products are primarily know to be an over the counter type of product. You can buy ‎them at almost any big box or auto parts stores but don’t let the OTC end of it fool you. These ‎are some quality products at very reasonable prices. ‎
    Product Description from Mothers web site.‎
    Mothers® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is formulated to safely and easily clean uncoated polished ‎aluminum and anodized wheels. Gentle, yet effective, Aluminum Wheel Cleaner doesn’t just ‎stop at aluminum. It also works great on painted, clearcoated, color coated, steel, modular, ‎chrome, custom or factory coated wheels and hubcaps. Its unique spray on, hose off design ‎safely penetrates, dissolves and suspends all types of brake dust, grease, dirt, and grime, ‎making rinsing a snap.‎
    https://store.mothers.com/product_in...id=228&cPath=7 online price at the time ‎of the review is $7.69 for 24 oz.‎

‎ Item Number: 06024‎
    I had the opportunity to detail a BMW 535 X Drive that had the typical BMW wheels with caked ‎on brake dust. In order to test just how well the Mothers Aluminum Wheel Cleaner works I ‎decided to use it against the go to wheel cleaner of most everyone on here, Meguiars Wheel ‎Brightener diluted to a 3:1 concentration.‎
    This was typical of all 4 wheels and made for a good test wheel for the comparison.‎

The directions call for the cleaner to be sprayed on a cool surface and left on for 1-2 minutes ‎before rinsing. For stubborn dirt and brake dust agitation may be needed.‎
    As you can see it did a pretty good job with just a spray and rinse but a second coat was needed. ‎The cleaner has an acidic smell to it but not overly offensive.‎

The thing I noticed right off was the clinging and suds ability of the Mothers cleaner in ‎comparison to the Meguiars Wheel Brightener. I felt like the working time was longer verses ‎the WB that seems to just run off. ‎
    Mothers

Meguiars

With just a little bit of agitation the wheel was clean including the barrel.‎

Product claims are unique spray on, hose off design. While that may be true for maintained ‎wheels but for the more severe cases spray on and rinse off isn’t going to do it. The Meguiars ‎WB also needed two applications and agitation so I don’t consider that to be a con of the ‎product. Between the two cleaners the Mothers was easier to work and stayed on the wheel ‎until rinsed off I never felt like I needed to add more product like I did with the WB even though ‎both wheel had a generous amount of product sprayed on them.‎
    I feel the product lived up to its claims and also in my opinion cleaned better than the Meguiars ‎WB which is saying quit a lot because Meguiars WB is a very good cleaner.‎

Thanks for reading.‎

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers Aluminum Wheel Cleaner Review‎

Great review! I haven`t used a lot of Mothers products in a while but did like them. It did do a really nice job on those typically difficult BMW wheels. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Great test of the product on a coated wheel. Would love to see it on a polish aluminum mag. Maybe drive around in a parking lot until you see one and test it out, hoping the owner doesn`t return?!

Great review and thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Great test of the product on a coated wheel. Would love to see it on a polish aluminum mag. Maybe drive around in a parking lot until you see one and test it out, hoping the owner doesn`t return?!

Great review and thanks for sharing!
    LMAO.......

I can actually see this happening!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers offers some really great products. They`ve been around for a long time and by offering products like this they`ll be around for a long time to come...

Awesome review and photos!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review.

Thread Information