Post Thanks / Like

Initial Impression: Optimum No Rinse v3

Initial Impression: Optimum No Rinse v3

Introduction:

In some of my previous reviews of rinseless washes, I have implied (or maybe even typed) that ONR had been passed by the new entries into the market like Blackfire Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash, Chemical Guys Hose Free ECOwash and Duragloss 931. All clean well and leave a marring-free finish (if properly applied) with some minor differences in finish. To me, the deciding factor was how clean the wash media rinsed (after scrubbing on a Grit Guard). CG HFEW, Duragloss and Megs Rinseless rinse out almost perfectly. ONR v2 & DP RW&G would leave my Bone black. BF WDRW was in between, closer to clean side. Even though I cannot say the staining marred the finish, I was always was uncomfortable applying it to paint. So, did the new formula improve things?

Thanks again to Corey for providing the format.

Product

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"The most technologically advanced car wash system!

Ability to wash in your garage during cold winter months!
    Can be used on Motorhomes, boats, and planes
    Will reduce water usage to a fraction of a conventional car wash.

The latest Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine formula for 2012 offers greater slickness, ease of use, and protection!

No Rinse™ Wash & Shine is the most technologically advanced car wash system that only requires 1-2 gallons of water to wash the entire car. No Rinse™ Wash & Shine does not require rinsing since there are no soapy surfactants to wash off into the storm drains.

This unique product contains substantive polymers which bond to the paint and protect it during the wash. Therefore, No Rinse™ Wash & Shine offers greater protection and lubricity than conventional car washes leaving a sleek & glossy finish behind afterwards. The waste water in the bucket can be used to water the lawn or disposed of into a sink, where it will be treated!

Additional benefits are faster washes, ability to wash anywhere at anytime including washing inside the garage during the cold months, no messy water runoffs, and greater looking car finishes. These are some of the reasons No Rinse™ Wash & Shine is being used by many professional detailers across the country (see testimonials).

No Rinse™ Wash & Shine can also be used to wash motorhomes, motorcycles, boats, and planes."

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
    4.- Color: Cloudy medium blue
    5.- Scent: Thinking "berries"
    6.- Price at time of review: 8oz = $ 7.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Optimum Polymer Technologies
    9.- Made in: USA

Other Products Used:

Pump sprayer
    2x Buckets with 3x Grit Guards (2 in rinse bucket)
    Bone
    MFs
    Optional Drying Aide (Optimum Instant Detailer this time).

Preparation:

Instructions call for 1oz to 2 gallons of water (I use 3 gallons - generally warm - in the wash bucket). I also mix the same ratio and put in a pump sprayer. I also put about 3 gallons of water in the rinse bucket.

Application:

I`ve changed my technique for rinseless washing somewhat. I have been doing all of the horizontal surfaces at one time, then one side, then the other and finally front & back and follow with Todd`s drying technique. This has cut my wash time from about an hour to 35 minutes!!

I pre-treat the area to be cleaned with a liberal amount of ONRv3 from the pump sprayer. Dunk the Bone in the wash bucket, pull out, wring until only slightly dripping and lightly glide across the painted surface in one direction. Then into the rinse bucket until clean and return to the wash bucket. I then dunk a long nap MF in the wash bucket and wring until damp and "dry" the surface (again one direction only). Then I will apply my drying aide and follow with a short nap MF. Then repeat through the remaining surfaces.

Note - if the car is exceptionally dirty, pressure washer rinse is recommended.

Observations:

ONRv3 cleans very well. I think the scent is improved over v2 - not that v2 was bad by any means. It flashes rather quickly and leaves a glossy finish.

So what about the dirt sticking to the wash media? ONRv3 is significantly improved. It releases most of the dirt/stain from the MF in the rinse bucket - about on par with BF WDRW.

Does it meet its claims? Yes.

Pros:

1.- Cleans very well
    2.- Leaves no staining on MF
    3.- Cost effective
    4.- Pleasant smell.

Cons:

1.- None.

Final Observations and Summary:

ONRv3 is improved in the one area it was lagging and I can confidently recommend it over its predecessor. It hasn`t displaced BF WDRW, CG HFEW or Duragloss 931 as my favorites but now stands beside them. Good work Optimum!

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Initial Impression: Optimum No Rinse v3

I have some and not used it yet. I may try it this weekend.

Do you have the link to Todd`s process recommendations?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Mike!!

I still lave a gallon of good ole #1 to use......

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thought Mike. I still have about 20oz of V2 that I need to finish. Have you used UWWP yet? Based on your recommendation I may have to switch to a new rinseless wash. The one thing I do like is that ONR acts as a water softener so I add a 1/2oz to almost every wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Al, Bobby and Troy.

I don`t remember which post it was but it is using the dampened first drying cloth. It allows me not to worry about rinseless drying before I can get it off (going over it is rinseless damp MF) so can do much bigger areas at a time.

I have more than a half gallon of v2. That is why I uncharacteristically only bought an 8 oz bottle of v3.

I haven`t used UWW as a rinseless - seems too expensive for that (and I have gallons of rinseless products - literally) unlike its waterless dilution. It is my go-to waterless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    I don`t remember which post it was but it is using the dampened first drying cloth. It allows me not to worry about rinseless drying before I can get it off (going over it is rinseless damp MF) so can do much bigger areas at a time.
    Do you mean just do wipe down with a damp mf after the wash pass but try not to get it dry?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Do you mean just do wipe down with a damp mf after the wash pass but try not to get it dry?
    It is the first pass of drying. You then can pick up what little remains with a different MF. I can dry the car with 2 16x16" MFs and the second is almost totally dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as expected!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, thanks for sharing.

Thread Information