Post Thanks / Like

Post Product Review: Collinite’s No.850 Metal Wax

Product Review: Collinite’s No.850 Metal Wax

Introduction:
    A shiny exhaust tip is one of those small details to me that really helps to set off a detail. Most people will not notice perfectly polished paint or how well the water beads on a fresh coat of wax. In my experience what they do notice are the shiny bits that really pop out at you. I nevery really worried about protecting my exhaust tips on my own vehicle because I always cared for them and used my normal wax on them every so often. When I started doing cars for others I soon found I needed something more to clean and protect metal parts like exhaust tips. Based on a few reconditions I choose #850 Metal Wax as it would clean and protect.

Product Description / Claims:
    Collinite Metal Wax cleans and protects chrome, aluminum, copper, brass and stainless steel in one easy step. Metal Wax # 850 removes salt deposits and rust on any vehicle and its tough protective coating stands up to salt water. Yet Collinite Metal Wax contains no strong acids or alkalis.
    Collinite Metal Wax # 850 is an easy-to-use liquid metal polish that eliminates unsightly rust, tarnish, and salt deposits on marine, automotive, and aeronautical metals. The nonabrasive formula safely removes discoloration and oxidation without pitting or scratching the metal, even highly polished metal such as chrome.
    Collinite Metal Wax # 850 is best described as a cleaner wax for metals. It has excellent protective properties with its long-lasting polymer formula. The protective coating is perfectly clear. Aluminum, copper, brass, chrome, and stainless steel will all look like new after using Collinite Metal Wax.
    On your vehicle, Collinite Metal Wax # 850 cleans and protects aluminum wheels and bumpers, as well as chrome wheels and trim. It maintains these same metals on motorcycles. In the house, use it on brass, chrome, and copper fixtures.

Product Details:
    Packaging: Clear Cylinder Bottle
    Directions: Clear
    Color: Tan
    Scent: Petroleum
    Pricing: $13.99 for 16oz.

Front Label:

Back Label:

Directions:

1. Shake well before using.
    2. Apply to a small section at a time.
    3. Rub well to loosen all the film, rust, etc.
    4. Before it dries, polish off with a clean, dry, soft cloth.

Warnings or Precautions:
    May be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Do not induce vomiting. Contains petroleum distillate. Keep out of reach of children.

Testing:
    The process is simple. Apply a small amount and buff until it begin to dry. Use a clean towel to buff it clean and you done. If I really need to do some work I have used #000 steel wool with #850 Metal Wax.

Dirty Exhaust Tips:
    ]

Prepared to go to work:

In Process:

Finished:

Pros:

1. Easy to use.
    2. It works, plain and simple.

Cons:

1. I don’t care for the petroleum scent most Collinite product have.
    2. It stains my towels.

Questions:

1. How much protection does #850 provide compared to other metal sealants?

Final Thought / Summary:
    This truly is a cleaner wax for your metal. It does a good job removing the film and dirt while leaving some protection behind. If you want to correct your metal you will definitely need to move to a metal polish as that is not what #850 is made to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Collinite’s No.850 Metal Wax

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Product Review: Collinite’s No.850 Metal Wax

Introduction:
    A shiny exhaust tip is one of those small details to me that really helps to set off a detail. Most people will not notice perfectly polished paint or how well the water beads on a fresh coat of wax. In my experience what they do notice are the shiny bits that really pop out at you. I nevery really worried about protecting my exhaust tips on my own vehicle because I always cared for them and used my normal wax on them every so often. When I started doing cars for others I soon found I needed something more to clean and protect metal parts like exhaust tips. Based on a few reconditions I choose #850 Metal Wax as it would clean and protect.

Product Description / Claims:
    Collinite Metal Wax cleans and protects chrome, aluminum, copper, brass and stainless steel in one easy step. Metal Wax # 850 removes salt deposits and rust on any vehicle and its tough protective coating stands up to salt water. Yet Collinite Metal Wax contains no strong acids or alkalis.
    Collinite Metal Wax # 850 is an easy-to-use liquid metal polish that eliminates unsightly rust, tarnish, and salt deposits on marine, automotive, and aeronautical metals. The nonabrasive formula safely removes discoloration and oxidation without pitting or scratching the metal, even highly polished metal such as chrome.
    Collinite Metal Wax # 850 is best described as a cleaner wax for metals. It has excellent protective properties with its long-lasting polymer formula. The protective coating is perfectly clear. Aluminum, copper, brass, chrome, and stainless steel will all look like new after using Collinite Metal Wax.
    On your vehicle, Collinite Metal Wax # 850 cleans and protects aluminum wheels and bumpers, as well as chrome wheels and trim. It maintains these same metals on motorcycles. In the house, use it on brass, chrome, and copper fixtures.

Product Details:
    Packaging: Clear Cylinder Bottle
    Directions: Clear
    Color: Tan
    Scent: Petroleum
    Pricing: $13.99 for 16oz.

Front Label:

Back Label:

Directions:

1. Shake well before using.
    2. Apply to a small section at a time.
    3. Rub well to loosen all the film, rust, etc.
    4. Before it dries, polish off with a clean, dry, soft cloth.

Warnings or Precautions:
    May be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Do not induce vomiting. Contains petroleum distillate. Keep out of reach of children.

Testing:
    The process is simple. Apply a small amount and buff until it begin to dry. Use a clean towel to buff it clean and you done. If I really need to do some work I have used #000 steel wool with #850 Metal Wax.

Dirty Exhaust Tips:
    ]

Prepared to go to work:

In Process:

Finished:

Pros:

1. Easy to use.
    2. It works, plain and simple.

Cons:

1. I don’t care for the petroleum scent most Collinite product have.
    2. It stains my towels.

Questions:

1. How much protection does #850 provide compared to other metal sealants?

Final Thought / Summary:
    This truly is a cleaner wax for your metal. It does a good job removing the film and dirt while leaving some protection behind. If you want to correct your metal you will definitely need to move to a metal polish as that is not what #850 is made to do.
    Very nice quick write up. My experience is that Collinite Metal Wax has excellent durability, like all Collinite products!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Troy !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is what drives some (at least me) crazy. I was thinking this was a wax for protection & shine rather than a polish level cleaner / wax product.

What I`m saying is the label is misleading.

Since I do a lot of Harleys I`m always looking for a wax or sealant that can add POP to the bare metals.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Cons : it stains towels??? I`d rather it stain a towel than stain an exhaust tip
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments and comment guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I think this is what drives some (at least me) crazy. I was thinking this was a wax for protection & shine rather than a polish level cleaner / wax product.

What I`m saying is the label is misleading.

Since I do a lot of Harleys I`m always looking for a wax or sealant that can add POP to the bare metals.

I totally understand what you are saying. I picked this up based on a recommendation by a friend as he said up front it would help clean up the metal and protect it. He also told me it definitely was not a polish to perfect or make the metal "pop" as you said. For that I use a metal polish and seal everything with BF Metal Sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Cons : it stains towels??? I`d rather it stain a towel than stain an exhaust tip
    Only a con because even with soaking them in APC they never truly come clean again. So for me they become a dedicated towel for that use. Not a big deal but I would love to be able to wash everything clean and have nice white towels again. I am just a little OCD like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Only a con because even with soaking them in APC they never truly come clean again. So for me they become a dedicated towel for that use. Not a big deal but I would love to be able to wash everything clean and have nice white towels again. I am just a little OCD like that.
    Oh, gotcha
    Get your shine on!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Troy for your review on this product from Collinite.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Thread Information