Post Thanks / Like

Review: BF Rinseless and Midnight Sun Instant Detailer

Review: Blackfire Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash and Midnight Sun Instant Detailer

Introduction:

The winnings from the "Big Kahuna" contest on AutopiaForums consisted on one each of the newly reformulated Blackfire line. (Woohoo!!) This is the first installment of the reviews I plan to write.

I chose these two products first because it was time to wash my car! I have become a big fan of the rinseless washing - enjoying the ease and not tripping over the hose, waiting for water to drain out of the crevices, etc.

I`m combining these two products because I use a drying aid when rinselessing and MSID seemed like the proper candidate. As I`ve written in other reviews, I don`t typically use QDs as QDs.

Those who`ve read my CG Hose Free EcoWash review will recognize much of it here as it is mostly still applicable.

Thanks again to Corey for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash

"The rinseless way to maintain a Wet Ice Over Fire shine!

Concentrated formula can be diluted to make a water conditioner, a quick detailer, clay and foam pad lubricant, and a rinseless wash.
    High gloss polymers bond to the paint to leave a slick, shiny finish.
    Safe on paint, clear coats, glass, metals, and plastics.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash washes fuses proprietary Wet Diamond polymers in a rinseless wash to give you the best of both worlds! The Wet Diamond tri-polymer system is extremely slick, allowing dirt and grime to be washed away with out scratching. It also coats the paint in a layer of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond polymers leaving your paint, trim, and glass slick while creating the whiplash-inducing shine! BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash is the most advanced rinseless wash today.

Use BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash to gently clean auto paint.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash can be diluted to make a quality foam pad lubricant.

Use BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash as a slick clay bar lubricant.
    Rinsless washes have become popular because they save money, time, and reduce water usage. If you live in an apartment or in a water-restricted area, this is for you. When you can`t use a water hose, you can always use BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash!

Only BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash infuses your paint with our cutting edge Wet Diamond Polymers. The very same polymers in BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Paint Protection create a three dimensional shine on your paint with every wash.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash only requires two gallons of water for effective cleaning. Compare that number to the 30 to 70 gallons used at an automated car wash. This tremendous water savings translates to a cost savings to homeowners, and it`s better for the environment because there is less run-off. Plus, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash is biodegradable and VOC compliant.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash also makes an excellent foam pad and clay bar lubricant, water conditioner, and quick detailer. The dilution ratio determines how the product can be used. The advanced lubricants and polymers provide excellent protection against swirls and scratches."

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
    4.- Color: Yellowish-green
    5.- Scent: Fruity
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 14.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Blackfire
    9.- Made in: USA

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer

"Recharge that WHIPLASH-inducing shine instantly!

Restores the shine and protection of Midnight Sun Paste Wax and all other waxes.
    Safe and effective on paint, clear coats, exterior plastic trim, and chrome.
    Removes light dust, dirt and fingerprints to maintain a just-detailed look.

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer is a supercharged blend of Ivory Carnuaba Wax, Wet Diamond polymers, and high lubricity cleaners. This shine-boosting detail spray instantly revives a dull finish and reactivates existing wax. BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer looks best over Midnight Sun Paste Wax but it is compatible with all waxes. Use this incredible spray to maintain BLACKFIRE`s trademark “Wet Ice Over Fire” shine or over your favorite wax or sealant.

The shimmer of fresh wax fades quickly, even though the wax is still there. Dust and dirt settle on the paint while bugs and birds do their parts to diminish the shine. What you need is a way to recharge and supercharge the existing wax and renew the gloss. You need BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer!

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer is a high lubricity spray that loosens dust and light contamination so it wipes away without scratching. You can use it to remove dust, dirt, fingerprints, smudges, as well as fresh bugs and bird droppings. High gloss Wet Diamond polymers bond to the existing wax to breathe new life into it and Ivory Carnauba wax intensifies the liquid shimmer. In an instant, the paint looks shinier, deeper, and more reflective.

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer buffs out easily and leaves a streak-free shine, even on dark colors. Enjoy the satisfaction of a just-waxed vehicle any time, instantly! BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer gives wax the boost it needs to go the distance."

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with sprayer
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
    4.- Color: White-ish clear
    5.- Scent: Tutti Fruity
    6.- Price at time of review: 20oz = $ 17.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Blackfire
    9.- Made in: USA

Product

Conditions:

Other Products Used:

Pump sprayer
    2x Buckets with Grit Guards
    Bone
    MFs

Preparation:

Instructions call for 1oz to 2 gallons of water. I also mix the same ratio and put in a pump sprayer. I also put about 2 gallons of water in the rinse bucket.

Application:

Starting with the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood and trunk), I select the area to be cleaned. The size is determined by how dirty the paint is and the outside temp. This time of year on my cars, I can generally do an entire body panel. In the summer, maybe half that. (Note - if the car is exceptionally dirt, pressure washer rinse is recommended.) I pre-treat the area to be cleaned with a liberal amount of BF WDRW from the pump sprayer. Dunk the Bone in the wash bucket, pull out, wring until only slightly dripping and lightly glide across the painted surface in one direction (snake pattern). Then into the rinse bucket until clean and return to the wash bucket. I use multiple 16"x16" MFs to dry - first is medium nap (again one direction only). Then I will apply my drying aide and follow with a short nap MF. Then repeat through the remaining surfaces. I did include the wheels and tires last with the leftover solution and grout sponge and brushes.

This is how I do all my rinseless washes.

Observations:

BF WDRW - Nice, light fragrance. Cleans exceptionally well. Releases most of the dirt/stain from the Bone. Dries easily (almost didn`t need drying aid).

BF MSID - Nice fragrance (stronger than BF WDRW). Spreads easily.

The combo - Leaves an extremely glossy, slick and streak-free finish.

Before - the filthy beast, my DD with a week`s worth of dirt (no rain or off-roading)

Yes, it is actually dirty. This is the first wipe of the center of the roof.

After rinse bucket - after paint before wheels and tires (I actually use a separate bucket for them)

After wash bucket & Bone

After car

Does it meet its claims? Absolutely. Hell, they should make more claims.

Comparisons:

This is what I wrote in the CG HFEW review -

"Comparing with ONR and DP RW&G, all three are fine products and will continue use them - but they are slightly different. ONR is probably the best smelling but that is personal preferrence and none is bad smelling. They all clean well but (I think) CG HFEW cleans better. They all leave a nice finish, but DP RW&G narrowly betters the other two.

The biggest difference is in the staining of the Bone MF covering. Using ONR or DP RW&G, the Bone will finsh black - even with vigorous scrubbing in both buckets on the Grit Guards. This is apparently harmless to paint as I`ve noted no marring resulting from it but always causes me to worry. (Note - Dawn Direct foam and a trip through the washer with a good MF detergent returns them to like new condition.) With CG HFEW, the Bone remains clean looking with light aggitation against the GG."

Well, there`s a new sheriff in town! BF WDRW betters all of them - in their strengths. I think it smells better than ONR, leaves a better finish than DP RW&G and cleans better than CG HFEW. The Bone doesn`t rinse quite a clean as CG HFEW but it would be black at the end of the wash with ONR or DP RW&G whereas, with BF WDRW, is mostly clean. And it does this without the suds.

I judge the cleaning ability by how much dirt is picked up on my first drying MF. There wasn`t any.

And I hope the after photos convey just how good the car looks after using this combo. My car looks rather nice anyway but this definitely kicked it up a couple of notches. And this was after just a wash!

The one area where it lags is cost. It is twice (or more) the cost of the others in the smaller sizes but in the gallon size that I`ll be buying (that is called foreshadowing), it is much more in line.

Pros:

1.- Cleans extremely well
    2.- Leaves little staining on MF
    3.- Leaves incredibly nice, slick finish
    4.- Pleasant smell.

Cons:

1.- Price.

Final Observations and Summary:

Blackfire Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash and Midnight Sun Instant Detailer is the best rinseless combo I have yet used. It does pretty much everything better than the other similar product I`ve used. It does cost more but the best generally does and IMO it is justified. I will definitely be buying more for my cars.

BF WDRW & MSID is too expensive for me too generally use on my customer`s cars (there may be a few exceptions) but I have a lot of ONR, DP RW&G and CG HFEW for them. I also doubt I will use it for its alternate uses - just seems a waste to me.

If you do mainly your own cars and are toying with the idea of trying a rinseless, use this. It is that much better.

Oh, and to local AF members, I realize I said in a different thread that I was willing to demo the new BF products but this combo is off the list. It is MINE!

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BF Rinseless and Midnight Sun Instant Detailer

What a Great write up. Thanks
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review as usual. I don`t like how ONR makes your wash mitt black. So I might have to try this out if the gallon price is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great review Mike !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, but the gallon price makes me steer away I`m afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for the review. Have you used ONR, etc. for a clay lube?

It looks like BF rinseless is definitely on my want list. I have seen the review regarding Duraglass also releasing dirt better.

I have been using mf mitts I purchased from PAC and PakShak. The bone looks like it has a similar nap as the PakShak mitt. I now spray mine with OPC as a pre-soak then wash.

"I do not always use a rinseless wash but when I do I use....."

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Have you used ONR, etc. for a clay lube?
    Yes. Of the clay lubes I`ve used, ONR is probably my second favorite but the one I primarily use. I like Dodo Juice Born Slippy the best but it is quite pricey. DP RW&G doesn`t quite have the lubrication needed for my clay substitute on soft dark paint. With regular clay, the differences are less pronounced.

Post Thanks / Like

Another nice review. I am not sold on rinseless washing as I feel like normaly my cars have to much bonded contamination to risk it. I was hoping the pricing would be a little better but if it is that much better than the competition them it may be worth it.

Thread Information