Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Sonus Trim and Motor Kote - TLC Auto Detail

Today we’ve got, what I feel it, a very over looked product. I never see many people talk about this product unless it comes up on bogo. I was turned onto this product by my good friend Jim (Dr Oldz) and haven’t looked back since. When it comes to dressing engine bays, and even wheel wells, this product just can’t be beat. The product I’m talking about is Sonus Trim and Motor Kote.

I think one reason people have overlooked this product is because the application is unlike any other dressing I have ever used. Basically you just spray this product on, and let it sit, no wiping or any other touching. To make it work though you have to put it on super thin and you have to have the patience to let the product cure without messing with it. This sometimes can take almost an hour, and some people just don’t want to take the time to let this product do its thing. I personally know that it is well worth the wait though. In my previous testing I have seen over 3 months of durability with no signs of failure. That means you can keep your engine bay looking its best and spend less time doing it. Now let’s get onto the review!!!

This review was actually at the spur of the moment. I was changing the battery in my wife’s Explorer and noticed the engine bay wasn’t looking so great. It was just about freezing outside so I wasn’t interested in doing a full engine bay detail, but I figured I could take the time to clean it up and do a little review on this often overlooked product. To spray I rinsed most of the engine bay down to remove any loose dirt and debris, and then I sprayed some Optimum Power Clean (4:1) and agitated it with various brushes. I then rinsed it all down, and dried it with compressed air. This all took about 10 minutes, so it was far from perfect, but would certainly do for my wife’s vehicle .

Here is a close up of the airbox, this is what I will show the majority of my testing on since it is the only large, flat piece under the hood. This is after being just cleaned and dried.

Here you can see how I taped of a section to show a 50/50 shot after the dressing has been applied.

Before I get to the application I want to give a small tip. I personally love putting most of my products into my own spray bottles, since I like everything to look the same, and I like to know exactly how much product I can expect to come out with a pull of the trigger. With this product however, you will want to leave it in the sprayer it came with. It is designed to put out a very fine mist of product, to ensure you don’t apply too much dressing. Here is my best shot at showing the atomization of the sprayer. Focus on the spray coming out of the nozzle, and not what has landed on the black plastic.

About to spray.

The next few pictures will show just how thin this product should be applied. Usually one spray will cover about a quarter of the engine bay. THIN THIN THIN. I used on 4 sprays to do this entire bay.

Here is didn’t move quite fast enough. A few little puddles developed. These are small enough that they will dry given enough time, but any bigger and you would want to wipe them off and spray again.

Here is how it looked vs. an undressed section.

Now that you have finished applying the dressing, just close the hood and walk away. Fight every urge you have to wipe or spread this product. It’s going to look like crap for a while, but trust the product and you will not be disappointed. Here is what you are left with after it dries. (NOTE thiese pictures were taken the next day, which had more sun than the previous day. Some parts make look a little brighter than in previous pictures.)

Overall Sonus Trim and Motor Kote is a wonderful product that I feel should be in every detailer’s cabinet. It surely isn’t the fastest working product, but it is the best IMO.
    Pros: Goes on thin, which means the product will be able to do more cars than traditional dressings.
    Price, even when not on bogo it can be had for about $10. When on BOGO it’s a STEAL
    Durability. I have seen 3+ months, with no signs of failure

Cons: Has a learning curve, and takes a while to dry, but it is well worth it IMO.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to any questions or comments you might have!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Sonus Trim and Motor Kote - TLC Auto Detail

Great review Dave. I will have to get my hands on some of this next time I place an order. I haven`t found a dressing that fits my needs under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Once it`s had a chance to dry is it dry to the touch? Or does it have an oily feel to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review buddy! I loved this product from the first time I tried it. A little tricky and u must be patient with it. Some great tips for those that may have some issues with. Sonus T&MK FTW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. So I just spray it on and just go find something else to do? Almost sounds like cheating to me. I may have to give this a try. If it`s Dr Oldz approved it`s gotta be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    Nice review. So I just spray it on and just go find something else to do? Almost sounds like cheating to me. I may have to give this a try. If it`s Dr Oldz approved it`s gotta be good.
    I agree. Jim and Dave really know what they`re talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Dave!!! Thanks for sharing. Looks like I need to look into picking some of this up and getting rid of my 303.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
    Great review Dave. I will have to get my hands on some of this next time I place an order. I haven`t found a dressing that fits my needs under the hood.
    Thanks Keith! I can add some to the box I`ve got together for you if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Once it`s had a chance to dry is it dry to the touch? Or does it have an oily feel to it?
    If applied correctly it will dry, if over applied it will remain oily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Great review buddy! I loved this product from the first time I tried it. A little tricky and u must be patient with it. Some great tips for those that may have some issues with. Sonus T&MK FTW!!!
    Thanks Jim! Sonus FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    thanks! It is stupid easy once you get the hang on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
    I agree. Jim and Dave really know what they`re talking about.
    Lol thanks Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Excellent review Dave!!! Thanks for sharing. Looks like I need to look into picking some of this up and getting rid of my 303.
    thanks Troy! Give it a try for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice review! I love reviews that have useful tips built into them and yours was spot on! Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review. Thanks for the tips, too. I`m sure I would have incorrectly applied it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonus Trim and Motor Kote appears to be quite a product! Thank you for the superb review with all the detail and tips of a step by step tutorial...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting review Dave.

From the description, it sounds like they just took a standard trim dressing, thinned it down to make is easier to spray and then put a specific purpose name with it. Or, it is really a less oily version of an Undercarriage spray.

I have heard some mentioning something similar like Poorboys Bold n Bright since it is easy to dilute and cleans/protects at the same time. I have sprayed but then I always wiped.

I have usually used trim and tire dressings under the hood and they last a very long time under the hood.

(same comments posted elsewhere but since the big Kahuna will repeat it...)

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Great review !!!! This is probably the only Sonus product that I didn`t like. I have had this product for years and could never get the hang of it. Everytime I used it it left white splotches all over my engine bay. I guess the key is how you spray it.

I still have a bottle with about 1/4 left in it. Guess I will try again.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Interesting review Dave.

From the description, it sounds like they just took a standard trim dressing, thinned it down to make is easier to spray and then put a specific purpose name with it. Or, it is really a less oily version of an Undercarriage spray.

I have heard some mentioning something similar like Poorboys Bold n Bright since it is easy to dilute and cleans/protects at the same time. I have sprayed but then I always wiped.

I have usually used trim and tire dressings under the hood and they last a very long time under the hood.

We like to call people like that post whores. Otherwise to be known now as Troys. Thanks for your honesty.

P.S. I wouldn`t have normally replied to this, but with the big kahunas I had to add one more post to the count.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information