Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: CG VRP

Post Thanks / Like

Review: CG VRP

Review: Chemical Guys VRP

Introduction:

As I said in my CG Silk Shine review, my personal preference is for no gloss on the interior vinyl and low gloss but black tires. However, not all of my customers agree with me. Actually, my detailing partner likes even more gloss on tires than Silk provides so I decided to give VRP a try.

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"Chemical Guys Extreme V.R.P. Dressing

Provides UV protection on all rubber, vinyl and plastic surfaces.
    Dries to the touch.
    Will not sling off tires.

The world may not be perfect, but thanks to Chemical Guys, your dressing can be. VRP DRESSING 2 is the only 100% super shine Dry to the Touch dressing that works as well on Vinyl, Rubber, Tires as it does on Hard Plastics (plastic bumpers and mirrors)......all in one.

In a Perfect world dressings could shine, help block against UV rays, leave behind a pleasant smell, be 100% dry to the touch and even be enriched with a surface sealant to protect and repel dust and dirt for months.

No greasy residue -100% dry to the touch!

GET THE GOODS:

A multi-surface shield for your vehicle`s interior.
    Dual action premium dressing leaves surfaces 100% dry to the touch and shining better then new, while protecting the surface against dirt and dust.
    Shines for months shielding and protecting against the elements.
    Maintains a 100% dry never greasy or oily supple, fresh texture of vinyl, leather, plastic, rubber and tires.
    Water based emulsion repels dirt and dust while blocking out harmful UV rays.
    Works great on all finished leather, vinyl, rubber, door moldings and tires.
    Can be applied as often as desired without fear of clouding or discoloration.
    Treated surfaces resist drying, fading and cracking maintain your interior and exterior surfaces while enhancing shine and image.
    V.R.P. Water based conditioners penetrates past the surface, to restore and maintain shine while Chemical Guys unique formula leaves behind an invisible shield that repels water dirt and dust.
    Great when used for all exterior rubber, and door seals.
    Surfaces treated with Extreme V.R.P. shine longer and require less cleaning.
    Extra thick, pure emulsion will not separate or sling and is easy to apply with towel or sponge.
    Industry leading sealants aid in protecting seats, steering wheels, door panels, and dashboard against the elements."

Chemical Guys Extreme V.R.P. Dressing

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with cap nozzle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Thick and oily
    4.- Color: Milky white
    5.- Scent: Not really sure but not bad at all
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 9.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Product

Other Products Used:

CG Nonsense
    MF

Preparation:

Even though my car didn`t need it, I wiped down the door card with CG Nonsense. (This is part of a dressing series so want to show different gloss levels from nothing.)

Application:

Squirt a small amount on clean short nap MF and rub into vinyl or other interior surface. Follow with a light buffing with dry MF.

For tires, I squirt a small amount on a polyethylene sponge and then spread with sponge. If I want more gloss, repeat after 10min. After 10min, is dry to the touch but generally follow with a MF to ensure no excess.

Observations:

CG VRP nicely darkens the vinyl and leaves a glossy finish. Is dry-to-the touch and does not cement dust to the dash. That being said, I`ve never before this review used in on interiors (not my taste).

Cleaned with Nonsense

CG IC, CG Silk and CG VRP

On tires, CG VRP darkens tires nicely and is glossy. It lasted me a several washes (3-4 weeks) and does not brown the tires.

(Sorry, no tire pics - will be trying a new, super long-lasting (non-ACC ) product tomorrow.)

I have used VRP on the wiper cowl and it performs admirably but want still longer durability.

VRP is easy to apply and doesn`t require any special techniques to get excellent results.

Does it meet its claims: yes.

Comparisons:

As I predominantly use this on tires, the closest product I`ve used to CG VRT is Optimum Tire Bond. They yield very similar (if not identical) results.

CG VRP has slightly more gloss than CG Silk and a bit better durability but doesn`t darken vinyl quite a dramatically (tires about the same). I like the spray-ability of Silk and tend to use it more often.

Pros:

1.- Darkens vinyl and tires while adding gloss (if you are into that kind of thing).
    2.- Protects.
    3.- Cost effective
    4.- Pleasant smell.
    5.- Versatile: can be used on interior & exterior trim, vinyl, and tires.
    6.- Dries to the touch.
    7.- When used on tires, does not sling.
    8.- Easy to use.

Cons:

1.- A bit glossy for my taste but definitely less than most OTC products. Much more "professional" looking.
    2.- Durability on hard exterior plastic isn`t what I`d like. That is probably true of virtually all water-based dressings, though.

Final Observations and Summary:

Like most CG products I`ve tried, CG VRP is good stuff (if a bit glossy) and meets my "professional" needs very well. Not as sexy as some of the boutique products I may use on my own vehicles but think they work quickly, without undue fuss and give a large percentage of the boutique result (& sometimes, more) at a low enough price for my "normal" customers to swallow without hurting "profit".

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CG VRP

Just like your silk shine review... Nice review. I have been using Meg`s QID. I prefer the natural look with no gloss. I usually don`t dress my interior unless requested.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another good review. I must have missed a CG give away?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    I must have missed a CG give away?
    Let`s see, I still have 3 QDs, 2 sealants, BareBones, 3 polishes, 2 wheel cleaners, 2 glazes + 1 gloss enhancer and 4 shampoos from them unreviewed. And that doesn`t even count tomorrow`s review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Let`s see, I still have 3 QDs, 2 sealants, BareBones, 3 polishes, 2 wheel cleaners, 2 glazes + 1 gloss enhancer and 4 shampoos from them unreviewed. And that doesn`t even count tomorrow`s review.
    I take it you have already done the work and just have to write the reviews? I`ll be interested in your bare bones write up. I`ve been thinking about getting that for some time now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    I take it you have already done the work and just have to write the reviews? I`ll be interested in your bare bones write up. I`ve been thinking about getting that for some time now.
    I`ve used CG products for quite a while and am pretty familiar with them. Inner Clean and Nonsense are relatively new and I even have one that is not on their website (Glossworkz Glaze - haven`t tried it yet and hope to not run into too many cars that would require me to fill rather than correct).

BareBones has been written up on other sites but the quick answer is it is a good product for making your wheel wells black. Has a strong grape scent. Directions say (and I`ve used it this way) to allow 24 hours to fully dry which would limit the use on most of my customer`s cars. CG`s video says to spray on and wipe off - haven`t tried this way. (BTW - they have contradictions everywhere between the label and website). Lasted me probably a month or so but that could be because I wanted to try ARO on the wheel wells. Haven`t tried Griot`s competitor product.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used CG products for quite a while and am pretty familiar with them. Inner Clean and Nonsense are relatively new and I even have one that is not on their website (Glossworkz Glaze - haven`t tried it yet and hope to not run into too many cars that would require me to fill rather than correct).

BareBones has been written up on other sites but the quick answer is it is a good product for making your wheel wells black. Has a strong grape scent. Directions say (and I`ve used it this way) to allow 24 hours to fully dry which would limit the use on most of my customer`s cars. CG`s video says to spray on and wipe off - haven`t tried this way. (BTW - they have contradictions everywhere between the label and website). Lasted me probably a month or so but that could be because I wanted to try ARO on the wheel wells. Haven`t tried Griot`s competitor product.
    Thanks for the info. The 24 hrs and wiping it off could be a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review. Glad to see more of these CG reviews showing up, they all seem to be getting good reviews, so they will hopefully become more popular with the general useres on the forums, and get more & more good comments. Thanks
    Current: 2015 Volvo S60 Platinum - Ember Black Metallic

Past: 2011 Jaguar XF Premium - Ebony, Barley/Truffle

Past: 2007 Celestial Blue Metallic C70 T5

Past: 2005 Black Saphire Metallic S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    3 qds left might one of those be there extreme slick synthetic qd? If so would like to see yr thoughts on it compared to fk425 if you have ever used it?

Post Thanks / Like

The Bare Bones I have is a light blue with a fairly neural scent but notice it is now available in red color. I posted a review here on AF a while back.

CG`s web site is a bit confusing (conflicting info) and messy (formatting issues) like their product line.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Another thorough and detailed review as you did testing the Silk product.

VRP seems a little less shinny giving the appearance a more satin look which many prefer.

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing![/QUOTE]

Again...nice review. CG owes you something. Do you have the whole lineup??

As an aside...have you used the Butter Wax? That product looks interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    GlossWorkz Glaze is awesome. I`ve used it twice and both times it left the paint soaking wet looking and very slick. I`m not a big glaze user but if I was this would be the one.

Post Thanks / Like

Another awesome CG review Mjlinane. I had a bottle of VRP laying around and never thought to try it on tires. I was pretty impressed with the look. Keep the CG reviews coming...I love it..
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwtaco View Post
    Again...nice review. CG owes you something. Do you have the whole lineup??

As an aside...have you used the Butter Wax? That product looks interesting.
    I feel I am doing a service to my fellow Autopians and that is reward enough. But, if they want to slip me a little something,....

Waxes are the one area of the CG line-up that I am sorely lacking. I actually don`t have any. This is more related to where I am in Central Texas. I`ve had trouble with high nuba content waxes sweating because of the extreme heat so have stuck mainly with sealants. Always wanted to try Pete`s and 5050, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information