Post Thanks / Like

In depth: Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish

In depth Product review: Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish

Mother`s line of Professional products was introduced nearly two years ago. After speaking with the man who formulated the line and learning of it`s unique features I was intrigued to give the entire line a try.

From most aggressive: left-to-right: Heavy Duty Compound, Compound, Machine Glaze, and Foam Pad Polish. Also included in a hand compound and detail spray.

The test panel is the hood off of a pick-up truck. Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish is finishing polish designed to remove fine and light swirls and compounding marks and bring the gloss to the highest level. I prepared the hood with Mothers Professional Machine Glaze with a dual-action orbital polisher and a Lake Country Orange pad. This left faint marring that should be easy for the Foam Pad Polish to eliminate. With a finishing polish the emphasis is on the quality of the finish produced.

Condition of the hood prior to final polishing.

The hood had a slight haze that was difficult to capture with the shop lighting.

The Rotary Polisher.

For testing I decided to go with a Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher using Lake Country`s 1-Pad Polishing system. Since I wanted to mimic the typical use of this product I elected to use a Lake Country Gray finishing foam pad.

I experimented with both product amount and polishing technique. For best results on this paint a 8 inch strip of product proved ideal.

Best results where achieved starting with 1500 rpm and moderate pressure, then reducing pressure and rpm as the polish cleared.

20 seconds in.

After 45 seconds the Mothers Foam Pad Polish was fully broken down.

The Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish wipes off extremely easy with a soft microfiber.

The soft black paint of the hood had a very fine swirl pattern and very light holograms. There was filing.

The Random Orbital Dual-Action Polisher.

I used a Porter Cable 7424 XP with a 5 inch Lake Country backing plate and a Lake Country Crimson H20 5.5 inch pad.

5 small drops where used for the first pass, 3 drops there after...

Best results where achieved using speed 5 and moderate pressure for the entire section.

The polish took some time with the Porter Cable to fully break down. 30 seconds in.

90 seconds in. At this point the polish was fully broken down.

Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish was easy to remove and wipe-off.

The finish left behind had extremely fine micromarring that was not visible in direct sunlight.

Here is a side by side (rotary on the left-side) of the finish left behind with the different machines.

Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish in a finishing polish designed to be used in a bodyshop environment to remove fine marks and haze and restore gloss.

For best results via rotary:Use slightly more product then with other finishing polishes. Start with medium pressure and a finishing foam pad. Reduce pressure as polish clears. Start at approximately 1500 rpm and reduce speed and to 1000 as the polish turns clear.

For best results via random orbital dual-action polish: Use speed 5 and moderate pressure with a foam finishing pad. Work a smalls section.

Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish Score Card:
    Category: Finishing Polish
    Scores are based from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.
    Scores are in bold. Average scores from similar polishes are in red.

Cutting Ability: 3 3
    -Removes light swirls and haze.

Rate of Cute:6 6
    -Achieves maxim cut quickly.

Quality of Finish: 8 9
    -Leaves very light micromarring only visible in specific lighting.

Working Time: 8 9
    -Long work time.

Dusting: 8 8
    -Only dusts if worked excessively long.

Ease of removal: 9 8
    -Extremely easy to remove completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In depth: Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish

Thanks for taking the time to do an indepth review like this Todd! I have been very interested in these polishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In depth: Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do an indepth review like this Todd! I have been very interested in these polishes!

Your welcome.

Thread Information