Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

In depth: Mother`s Professional Machine Glaze

In depth Product review: Mothers Professional Machine Glaze

Mother`s line of Professional products was introduced nearly two years ago. After speaking with the man who formulated the line and learning of it`s unique features I was intrigued to give the entire line a try.

From most aggressive: left-to-right: Heavy Duty Compound, Compound, Machine Glaze, and Foam Pad Polish. Also included in a hand compound and detail spray.

The test panel is the hood off of a pick-up truck. Mothers Professional Machine Glaze is designed to me an intermidate polish, for use after compounding or for removing moderate swirl marks. I compounded the test sections using Mothers Heavy Duty Compound a wool pad, then sanded an area using Meguiar`s 3000 Unigrit DA sand paper to test the maximum cutting ability.

The condition of the hood prior to polishing.

The upper portion of the hood which has been machine polished.

View of the holograms (hazy paint) and sanded finish.

The Rotary Polisher.

For testing I decided to go with a Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher using Lake Country`s 1-Pad Polishing system. Since I wanted to mimic the typical use of this product I elected to use an Orange Light Cutting foam and a White Polishing foam pad.

I taped the test section in half to test the different results of each pad side-by-side. This also would allow me to see the difference in the finish left from the Heavy Duty Compound/Wool pad and the subsequent finishing steps.

Mothers Professional Machine Glaze had a slightly runny consistency

I started off with the Orange Pad using approximately 1400 rpms. Unlike Mothers Heavy Duty Compound which liked pressure, Mothers Professional Machine Glaze performed better letting the weight of the polisher do the work.

The Machine Glaze had a quick work time. After 15 seconds...

After 30 seconds.

It took two full passes to remove the sanding marks completely. Quite an impressive level of cut with a Light Cutting foam pad. While testing with several solvents and CarPro Eraser revealed no filling, the finish quality was average.

Perhaps switching to a White Polishing Foam would result in a better quality finish...

The initial pass saw very little reduction in the sanding marks.

A second pass so some improvement in the sanding scratches.

In bodyshop`s it is normal for the `detailers` to use a lot of product. I decided to oversaturate the pad and see if this increased the cut. Mothers knows their target audience perfectly. By doubling the amount of product I would normally use I was able to get a much better finish and power through the sanding marks on the third pass.

The lower panel.

A comparison between the white pad (left), untouched (center), and orange pad (right) revealed that the both the white and orange pad had the power to remove sanding scratches, but both left a very fine swirl pattern that danced across the paint in the form of holograms. The orange pad required one fewer pass to remove the sanding scratches and left a slightly hazier finish.

The Random Orbital Dual Action Polisher.

I used a Porter Cable 7424 XP with a 5 inch Lake Country backing plate and White Polishing CCS Pad.

I loaded the pad, again using about twice as much polish as I normally would, and worked at speed 6 using firm pressure after spreading on speed 4.

When used with a DA, Mothers Professional Machine Glaze was a joy, offering long work time.

30 seconds in.

After 90 seconds the polish was spent.

Wipe off was slightly difficult and the finish exhibited slight micro-hazing. Wipe downs with alcohol and CarPro Eraser revealed no filling, what-so-ever.

Mothers Professional Machine Glaze is an intermidate polishing liquid designed and targeted for body shop use. Regardless of the pad and machine selected, Mothers Professional Machine Glaze has the power to cut through swirl marks but will require an additional finishing step.

For best results via rotary: Use double the amount of product you normally would and light-to-no pressure. Work the polish until it clears and remove. Working longer makes wipe-off difficult.

For best results via random orbital dual-action polisher: Use twice the product you normally would on speed 6, using firm pressure until the product clears.

Mothers Professional Machine Glaze Score Card:
    Category: Intermediate Polish/Swirl Remover
    Scores are based from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.
    Scores are in bold. Average scores from similar polishes are in red.

Cutting Ability: 6 6
    -Is capable of removing 3000 grit marks with a DA or rotary and multiple
    applications.

Rate of Cute:9 6
    -Achieves maxim cut quickly.

Quality of Finish: 6 8
    -Leaves a hazy, swirled finish that requires a final polishing step.

Working Time: 5 8
    -Works quickly and dries fast.

Dusting: 8 8
    -Only dusts if worked excessively long.

Ease of removal: 5 7
    -Was difficult to remove completely from the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: In depth: Mother`s Professional Machine Glaze

Great to see the Mother`s line of compounds reviewed.......

Great job on that comparison Maestro Todd..

Liked the `no filling` characteristic...

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: In depth: Mother`s Professional Machine Glaze

Great to see the Mother`s line of compounds reviewed.......

Great job on that comparison Maestro Todd..

Liked the `no filling` characteristic...

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In depth: Mother`s Professional Machine Glaze

Thanks Todd for your write up, I myself got to try it a few yrs ago and conclude on your findings. It does have a learning curve to it.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Thanks Todd for your write up, I myself got to try it a few yrs ago and conclude on your findings. It does have a learning curve to it.
    Absolutely has a learning curve but it is a very nice medium step polish that, in my testing, showed no tendencies to fill the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. Thanks Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Todd.

I`m glad you chose to do the Machine Glaze. I putting togther a review on the Compound and Foam Pad Polish now. I just finished the car this afternoon so I should have it up in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Nice review Todd.

I`m glad you chose to do the Machine Glaze. I putting togther a review on the Compound and Foam Pad Polish now. I just finished the car this afternoon so I should have it up in a few days.
    I don`t remember the review, let me dig it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go Todd. It was more of a compound review but the Foam Pad Polish was also used along ‎with a host of other Mothers products. My findings with the compound were very similar to yours in ‎the amount of working time with a rotary but greatly increased with the DA. I have a feeling that it is ‎because of the targeted use the amount of lubricants that can normally be used to increase working ‎time cannot be used in a body shop safe product. The compound almost has a dry type of a feeling to ‎it. Excellent results can be had with MF pads and a DA. Look for more Mothers product reviews as ‎soon as the weather breaks. I just received more Mothers products along with the new for 2013 ‎products today‎

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-compound.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Here you go Todd. It was more of a compound review but the Foam Pad Polish was also used along ‎with a host of other Mothers products. My findings with the compound were very similar to yours in ‎the amount of working time with a rotary but greatly increased with the DA. I have a feeling that it is ‎because of the targeted use the amount of lubricants that can normally be used to increase working ‎time cannot be used in a body shop safe product. The compound almost has a dry type of a feeling to ‎it. Excellent results can be had with MF pads and a DA. Look for more Mothers product reviews as ‎soon as the weather breaks. I just received more Mothers products along with the new for 2013 ‎products today‎

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-compound.html
    Got it! Now I remember

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review but I would not find myself using that product all. I was not impressed with that "Products" results and the 15 secs would set me off. I already put all my Meg`s products...M105, M205 and D300 on the self to collect dust forever and not to be used by me ever again. The only product I like from Meg`s is M21 which does a very good job for the little $$ I pay. Nice write up again and in no way coming down on your talents at all. I know your damn good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Nice review but I would not find myself using that product all. I was not impressed with that "Products" results and the 15 secs would set me off. I already put all my Meg`s products...M105, M205 and D300 on the self to collect dust forever and not to be used by me ever again. The only product I like from Meg`s is M21 which does a very good job for the little $$ I pay. Nice write up again and in no way coming down on your talents at all. I know your damn good.
    Are you referring to Meguairs or Mothers? All the proudcts you mentioned are from Meguiars.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to Meg`s. I under the impression that Meg`s was better then Mothers so that is why I bought some of that product as mentioned above but dont use anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your last name `Suggs` by any chance?
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

ah you didn`t lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information