Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Muc-Off Tire and Bumper Shine - TLC Auto Detail

]So today we again have another offering from a new (at least to AG) company called Muc-Off. I have quickly become a big fan of this line after trying their wax, paint cleaner, wheel cleaner, and quick detailer. Their products are manufactured to the same standards as other more well known brands, and cost a fraction of the price. This brand really does have some of the best kept secrets in detailing. Todays offering is no different.

For this review we will be looking at Muc-Off Tire and Bumper shine. It can be pruchased from the AG store here Muc-Off Tire and Bumper Shine, rubber dressing, tire dressing, metal protectant and here is the official AG description of the product:

So after reading that you might ask yourself, "Self, that sure sounds like a couple other products I heard of, mainly Wolfgang ETS and Ultima Tire and Trim Guard." Well you would be correct. This product has claims to offer the same ease of use, durability, and great looks of both of those other products, but the best part is its only $1.00 per oz while the others are well over $2.00 per ounce. That alone puts a check mark on MOTBS column before we even start using the product. So lets get to it!

Here is how the product is packaged. Like other Muc-Off products it isn`t in a traditional bottle, but I assure you it`s just as easy to use as other products. To apply it today I`m using a Griots Garage dressing applicator. i really love using these things!

This also brings me to my first tip. SHAKE WELL!!! As you can see in the picture the product is a nice consistent green color, but before you shake it there are two noticeable fluids in the bottle, one being green and one being clear. you want to make sure to mix both together very well before using the product. If not mixed thoroughly enough it will effect the durability of the product.

First up I tried it on a tire. This tire was cleaned 3 times with Optimum Power Clean 3:1 with a stiff tire brush. This tire is old and worn out, but I assure you it wasn`t getting any cleaner than this.

Here is what it looked like right after application. It darkened the tire very much and left a good bit of shine. Fear not you anti-shine folks, it won`t last for long!

Here is a close up Macro shot so you can really see the dramatic difference after application. Notice on the flat part of the tire you can already see some of the shine going away as it dries.

Now I know some may not be liking the look so far since it is pretty shiny. But here are a couple close ups after the product has totally dried. You will notice the tire is still very dark, and rich looking, but there isn`t much shine at all to speak of.

also I want to note that it is totally dry to the touch so, as long as you wait for it to dry, you won`t have any issues with this product slinging.

And here is a final picture

That concludes the tire portion of this review. I must say that I enjoy this product very much. It looks better than UTTG and ETS to me (deeper black, but still low gloss). If it lasts as long, and doesn`t attract dust like the other two this is going to be a main competitor now!

for the second part of this review I gave it a quick go on some faded trim on the back of my mother-in-law`s mini van. I applied it very thinly and with another Griots Garage dressing applicator.

First I gave the trim a good deep cleaning with Power Clean 3:1 and then a quick wipe with IPA 50/50 to ensure nothing would interrupt the bonding process. Here is how it looked right after application.

Notice how much darker the trim looks. It looks almost brand new!!! other than C4 i have yet to see a dressing achieve these results, AND last for any appreciable time.

And here we have it after it has dried. Again I want to stress this product is totally dry to the touch. This isn`t some greasy mess like other products out there on the market.

As with the tire, a little gloss has gone since the product dried. It does still leave a very dark, deep finish on some trim that was on its last legs before this application.

Here is a little closer look

And still a closer look. notice how the product has gotten into all the nooks and crannies on this heavily textured trim.

Here is a look at the part of the trim that wasn`t as faded. It`s not so faded at the top because it`s actually covered when the rear hatch is closed so it`s not attacked by UV rays all day everyday.

Still notice how this product darkens the trim and gives it the look of brand new trim on this 10 year old vehicle!

Overall I really can`t believe how well this product performed, especially considering the price! If this has any sort of durability I think stock in UTTG and ETS might fall a little bit.

Pros:
    1. PRICE!
    2. Smell. I`m terrible at telling exactly what products smell like, but I can tell you that it is pleasant to work with.
    3. Ease of use. A little goes a long way, and you don`t really have to work the product in the surface. It almost melts into the trim.
    4. This is actually a trim restorer, not just a protector. Right away you can tell how much darker it leaves faded trim than UTTG and ETS. If you have really faded trim I think this should be the first product you reach for.
    5. Did I mention PRICE?!?!

Cons:
    1. It doesn`t come in a bigger container

Unknowns
    1. Durability is still a question. One that I will have an answer, and an update for shortly.

I actually did this initial review about 3 weeks ago and will have some updates in the coming days. Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and I look forward to hearing you thoughts and comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Muc-Off Tire and Bumper Shine - TLC Auto Detail

For all tje products you have and you let the inlaws trim get to that point? Lol. Jk
    Seriously a great review and I enjoyed Reading it again here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    For all tje products you have and you let the inlaws trim get to that point? Lol. Jk
    Seriously a great review and I enjoyed Reading it again here.
    Well that tells you how much I like my in laws..

thanks again Doc!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Dave.

I`m interested if it runs in the rain?
    Depending on the durability this could be a GREAT buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Dave !!! I saw this line at Detail Fest. It looks like they have some interesting products.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Nice review Dave.

I`m interested if it runs in the rain?
    Depending on the durability this could be a GREAT buy.
    Thanks Troy! I`m thinking it`s a good buy as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Dave !!! I saw this line at Detail Fest. It looks like they have some interesting products.
    Thanks Pat! I have liked everything I have tried from Muc-Off so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review DAVEY! I wish you could have seen their booth at DF.... Everything had pink bubbles on it and was the only booth people seemed to ignore It was right next to where they were cutting hair. Just coincidence but almost seemed like girly hair products. My theory at the time was it was a line for female detailers with all the pink bubbles and funny pretty bottles. thanks for bringing this line to our attention as one to take seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Dave, looks like a nice line-up they`re putting out. And your reviews are starting to give Corey a run for his money!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any comments on the durability of this product?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Flannigan so far but waiting to see the durability and does it hold up in rain and washes?! Time will tell !Keep us posted please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Excellent review DAVEY! I wish you could have seen their booth at DF.... Everything had pink bubbles on it and was the only booth people seemed to ignore It was right next to where they were cutting hair. Just coincidence but almost seemed like girly hair products. My theory at the time was it was a line for female detailers with all the pink bubbles and funny pretty bottles. thanks for bringing this line to our attention as one to take seriously.
    Thanks Dog! I can`t wait to check out their booth at next year`s DF. Sounds like something my wife might have designed...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Great review Dave, looks like a nice line-up they`re putting out. And your reviews are starting to give Corey a run for his money!
    LOL, thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Looks good Flannigan so far but waiting to see the durability and does it hold up in rain and washes?! Time will tell !Keep us posted please.
    Thanks DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
    Anyone have any comments on the durability of this product?
    As for now I can say that this product will NOT wash away with rain or normal washes. It has rained quite a bit since this product was applied, and it`s still going strong. I don`t get to see the car everyday, but I should have an update this weekend. I`m not expecting UTTG/ETS results, but if it lasts a month coupled with it`s tremendous darkening ability, it`s a winner in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered some of this to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this today and so far all I have to say is "wow". It went on smoothly and covered well. It took very little product to do one rocker panel(ran out of sunlight), front dam and two side mirrors on my Nitro. It looks great! Lets see how long it lasts now.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would update my previous post. I washed the truck today for the first time since I applied the Muc-off. I treated my rockers, front dam, mirrors and door handles about three days ago. The car wash did not seem to affect the coating. The only thing I have noticed is that the product maintains a slight stickiness especially on the horizontal surface on the top of my mirror. This stickiness tend to holds bugs etc. to it more than normal. The finish does look great. I don`t believe that I put it on too heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you picked it up!!!

Sorry I haven`t updated the thread with durability findings. The test vehicle (mother-in-law`s) was taken through a touchless wash about 3 weeks into the test. Needless to say the harsh chemicals stripped the dressing. I can say it was still looking very good at the three week mark. I reapplied it and gave strict instructions not to see anymore touchless washes. I will update you with my findings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information