Post Thanks / Like

Dodo Juice Tyromania Review - TLC Auto Detail

As some of you may know I am a big fan of the Dodo Juice brand. I think they make quality products, that can be had at a fair price. On top of making great products, the guys at Dodo, Dom and PJ, have always seemed so eager to help, and talk to the masses on multiple forums. I`m not saying this makes their products better, but it is refreshing to get an email back from a company 10 minutes after you send it. It seems that the guys at Dodo are always in the lab coming up with new products that will make our detailing easier and/or better. Today we have their newest offering, Tyromania.

Tyromania is described as a tire "wax". This makes it seem like the first product of its kind, since I have never heard of waxing a tire. Here is the product description from the AG store.

So now that we have an idea of what we are working with, and what we can expect from it, we can get on to the pictures and review!

Initial Product Impressions

So here is the product. The very first thing you notice before even opening it, is that it is in a wax jar. I personally have never seen a tire dressing come in a wax jar, but it reinforces the fact that this is a tire wax, not a traditional tire dressing.

Now also before you open the jar you can see one flaw with this product. Since there is no seal on the lid, and it was subjected to hot summer temperatures in transit, some product has leaked out before the jar was even opened. I`m not blaming Dodo or AG for this since they don`t have control over the climate, but it might be a good idea to add a small o-ring type seal to the jar to prevent any product from leaking out. Just an idea.

After you clean the jar off, and open it, the first thing you will notice is that there is an applicator included in the wax jar. To me this is a big plus since you will never have to go searching for an applicator while using this product.

Here is another issue with the product constancy due to the temperature. When the applicator is pulled out, there are chunks of product randomly stuck to the applicator. Also the applicator is totally saturated with liquid dressing. Right when I grabbed it, liquid started to seep out of the applicator onto my hands. Not a big deal, I just rung it out in the pot. Then I let the pot sit in the sun for an hour to get it all into a liquid, and then sat it inside for the rest of the evening to cool it off, and turn it back into more of a gel/paste. This is how I believe it is intended to be used.

Here is the applicator when first removed. Notice the chunks of product. Also it was saturated with liquid, which would have made a mess if you tried to apply it right away.

And here is what the product looks like in its paste state. It`s hard to tell from the picture, but the paste is black in color, and will make your fingers black, but it is easy to wipe off after the fact.

Tire preparation before application

Ok, now that we have become familiar with the product, lets move on to the prep of the tire. This is an older tire that has been in storage off a car for about a year. It wasn`t cleaned when it was removed, so first we need to get it squeaky clean, and free of any old dressing build up or dirt. To achieve this I used Optimum Power Clean 1:1 and several stiff brushes. It took two applications to get all the brown gunk off the tires. They are still pretty beat up due to their age, but I can assure you they are clean.

Application

After the tire was totally clean I taped off a section so we could compare the dressed, in this case waxed, part of the tire, to the clean part. The wax was applied with the included applicator. I`m not totally set on the best way to get the product onto the appicator. I tried digging some out with the applicator, and I ended up getting too much product, but when I just rubbed the applicator on the top of the product I didn`t get enough. Not a big problem, just something you will need to figure out for yourself if you choose to use this product.

So now that we have the product on the applicator, it is applied just like any other dressing. Spread it out as far as it will go, and then go back over it a few times and smooth it out/rub it in. This dressing spreads fairly far. Nothing insane, but you don`t have to slop this dressing on. Only a small amount will be needed to dress most car tires.

Here is how it looks right after application. It has a bit of shine to it, but that won`t last very long. The direction say to let it dry, but it doesn`t say how long. It took about 5 minutes to become totally dry to the touch in my case.

Also I want to note that the directions say that you can buff it with water after it is dry to add some sheen to the finish. I tried this and it worked, but only a small amount. Not even enough that you could see the difference on the camera. It`s safe to say if you want sheen this isn`t the product for you.

50/50 and After Pictures

Ok, after letting it dry for about 5 minutes here is what we are left with. This product darkens the tires nicely, without adding much, if any, gloss or sheen.

Final Thoughts

I really think the guys at Dodo have another great product on their hands here. I want to say up front that not everyone will like this products looks. If you like shiny/greasy tires, this IS NOT the product for you. I`m not saying shiny tires are bad, this just won`t give them to you. This product leaves a totally matte finish, while also darkening the tire, to give it a deep, rich look. It basically makes your tire look brand new, like it was just installed on your car.

As far as application, it really doesn`t get any easier than this....not to say any tire dressing is really "hard" to apply. I would say that the only drawback to this product is the fact that if subjected to high temperatures, it can leak out of the jar, which not only wastes product, but also makes a fairly big mess.

the other part that could be considered a drawback is the price. It is $30 for about 180ml. It`s not the most expensive :cough: ETS :cough: but it certainly isn`t the cheapest. I know most people on this site don`t have a problem paying for a product that delivers results, so the price isn`t really a "con" per-say. That being said, I won`t be using this product on customer cars due to the price, and the fact that most customers like some shine on their tires.

Well I think that about covers it. I really enjoyed trying this product out, and please let me know if you have any questions about it! I would love to hear your feedback as well!!!

Edit: In the AG description it says that this product can be used on trim as well. I will be trying it on trim sometime in the future, but at this moment the trim on both my vehicles is being used for my UTTG vs. ETS test.

TRIM

So I had a chance to give Dodo Juice Tyromania a try on some very neglected trim. This vehicle belongs to my mother-in-law, so I should be able to keep an eye on its durability.

Like on the tires a little goes a pretty long way, so make sure to work it in to the trim before you add more product. If you over apply it, it can get pretty messy.

Here it is right after application. Keep in mind you might have to buff it a little after it is dry if you get any steaks. Just remember to not use too much product, and you will be fine. As you can see it darkens the trim nicely, but doesn`t add much in the way of shine, just like on the tires.

Here you can see it on the top portion of the trim that isn`t too faded. The Tyromania does darken it a little bit, but not a ton. Some may like this, and some may not. It reminded me of UTTG, but with even less shine/sheen.

Here you can start to see the difference as we move down the the faded part of the trim.

And he is only the faded trim. It darkens it quite a bit, and makes it look a lot better. Again there isn`t much shine, but it darkens it nicely.

Sorry for the short review, but this is the only trim I have had access to for this test. Hopefully it helps people figure out if this product is for them. Thanks for looking, and I look forward to hearing your comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dodo Juice Tyromania Review - TLC Auto Detail

How many tires do you think you can get out of one jar? I love the looks, it just seemed kind of pricey after Mark`s review.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I have some Tyromania and used it a couple of weeks ago (I did the 50/50 tape thing as well) and thought it looked very nice on the tires. I didn`t expect it to look that amazing on the faded trim. Thanks for sharing with us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
    How many tires do you think you can get out of one jar? I love the looks, it just seemed kind of pricey after Mark`s review.
    Its hard to tell, I would guess10 cars, so 40 tires maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Great review! I have some Tyromania and used it a couple of weeks ago (I did the 50/50 tape thing as well) and thought it looked very nice on the tires. I didn`t expect it to look that amazing on the faded trim. Thanks for sharing with us!
    Thanks Todd! I was quite surprised too!

Post Thanks / Like

Daja Vu. Nice review and way to try it out on something other than tires. You reviews are top notch buddy! :props:

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best looking and durable tire dressing I have EVER used!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review and the pictures were impressive. The tire results look similar to UTTG to me. Has anyone posted a comparison of the two?

Thread Information