Post Thanks / Like

Leather Doctor Leather Ink & Dye Stain Removal Kit Review

Leather Doctor Leather Ink & Dye Stain Removal Kit Review

Leather Doctor`s Site:

Leather Cleaning Restoration Forum - Powered by vBulletin

The problem started when a passenger who was wearing a brown colored leather belt sat in the rear seat of my clients Rolls Royce Phantom. This caused the color (dye) from their belt to transfer off the belt and onto the seat cushion of the Rolls. I tried everything possible (Leather Masters/ multiple APCs/Spoil Shield / Hairspray) to remove the dye transfer on the cream colored leather seat. All without any luck! That is until I tried Leather Doctor’s system that is specially created for removing these types of problems. I originally heard great things about this system from another forum member (Greg Nichols) and my client and I thought we’d have nothing to loose at this point. If it didn’t work, we would have been forced to resort to re-coloring the seat, which realistically was pretty frightening to say the least. The instructions were pretty straight forward and broke down treatment in 5 Phases. After discussing options with Roger Koh (the Leather Doctor), he suggested that I start with Phase 2. This is also the phase that Greg Nichols used as well.

Befores:

Here’s how it went:

I applied the LD Prep 7.7 via a foam paint brush onto the whole area where the stain was embedded. This product is somewhat sticky and stays wet for extended periods of time. After about 2 hours of dwell time, I used a Q-Tip to see if any transfer was starting to lift, but it didn’t. At that point I became a little discouraged with this product and a little hesitant in its ability. But, I remembered both Roger & Greg telling me that this product needs a lot of dwell time to do its thing. It basically penetrates the dye transfer, starts suspending it and keeps pulling it off the substrate until it’s totally removed. This product is totally leather safe and cannot create damage to healthy leather.

I then reapplied an additional thin coat of Prep 7.7 and left it alone to do its thing for a total of 9 hours. All the work btw was done inside an air conditioned garage meaning that heat was not required for this product to do its thing.

I came back to check on things and found that the stain was completed dissolved and was gone!!

I then wiped the sticky Prep 7.7 residue away with generic paper towels to inspect. Again stain was gone. I then sprayed LD Cleaner 3.8 to neutralize the Prep 7.7. Wiping with paper towel. This made the leather surface feel squeaky clean, which as the Doctor claims that “the leather is now healthy”.

After final satisfactory results were obtained, I used LD Leather Scent B which is a rub resistance protector that has an incredible natural leather smell to it.

Afters:

Final thoughts: This product is amazingly easy, powerful and is a life saver. I highly recommend it to anyone with grease based ink stains like ballpoint pens, water based ink stains like stamp pad ink, dye transfer stains like blue jeans, ink prints and newsprints. They types of problems can now be corrected with this amazing product.

Just to document that I paid for this product:

Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather Doctor Leather Ink & Dye Stain Removal Kit Review

Good job but I would not have used that paper towel with the pink pattern in it, You are lucky the ink did not transfer onto the leather

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. The Tahoe Im restoring to be my daily driver is getting some used leather seats, but they have a few stains. I think I may try this stuff. Looks like a very good product line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Good job but I would not have used that paper towel with the pink pattern in it, You are lucky the ink did not transfer onto the leather
    Thanks Bart. I 100% seriously doubt that that could have happened. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Nice write up. The Tahoe Im restoring to be my daily driver is getting some used leather seats, but they have a few stains. I think I may try this stuff. Looks like a very good product line.
    Thanks - Depending on the nature of the stains on those seats this kit might help. You might want to reach out to Roger Koh for some support before hand.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bart. I 100% seriously doubt that that could have happened. Thanks for the suggestion though

All I was saying is since it removes Ink and the pattern on the paper towels are ink I would have used a plain white towel.

Your saving grace was that this product is very slow working otherwise it would have worked on the ink.

Just a chance I would not want to take but maybe I`m more cautious than most folks.

Thread Information