Post Thanks / Like

What is this / how to get rid of?

Hi all,

Have had this mark / blemish (sort of like orange peel) basically since I got the car 5+ years ago. The car is an Integra 95 VTi-R, and the paint was/is in excellent condition still.

The mark was probably 3/4 the size when I got it, so its been very slow moving. Anyway, now I think is the time to do something about it - I was just in the process of ordering a PC 7424XP and a few products from the US (I`m in Australia). Two of the prods was going to be Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR1.

If I used SSR2.5 and maybe went over it 4-5 times, would the PC be able to actually remove this (using orange pad). Or I might need to have it done by rotary? I`m hoping the PC will work as its one of the reasons I`m getting it.

At the top and bottom of the blemish, it looks like the paint has sort of badly oxidised or faded, hopefully its not totally gone. Anyway love to hear anyones opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this / how to get rid of?

Looks like "clearcoat cancer" to me. Mid-90`s Fords are notorious for it. I`m not aware of anything that can be done. The clearcoat is basically cracking & peeling away.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like hood painting time.

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

That is absolutely clearcoat failure. The only thing for that is a respray IMO. Fortunately if it`s simply limited to that one spot should be relatively easy and fairly inexpensive but it needs a repaint. I would buff out the rest of the car and then have the shop match the color and brightness of the surrounding paint.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, thx for the help diagnosing the problem.

It`s actually only on the top lid of the boot, so the area to repaint is one of the smallest.

What would happen if I used the PC I`m ordering with with SSR2.5 and then SSR1 on the area, would there be any improvement? Or would the actual paint start coming off onto the pad?

Post Thanks / Like

There will be no improvement, don`t waste your time on that area.

Post Thanks / Like

I going to differ with RTexasF on this one. The clear coat failure that you have is not the peeling type, its more of a burn mark if you will. If you want to make it look better and get it to blend some. Use your PC with a cutting pad and a light cut polish to start. Its going to clean up the paint that is exposed and smooth out the edges of the clear.

I did two bumpers on a older Nissan this last summer that had clear flaking off. I used my rotary and buffed the bejuses out of the areas, and they came out looking much better.

Thats a quick fix and one that you will have to redo as it continues to deteriorate, but its damage control

IMO a repaint is in order and be good that its only the hood!

Good luck
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with beemer you can also use 2000 grit then 2.5 won`t be perfect but it`s less costly than a repaint.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerndetail View Post
    I agree with beemer you can also use 2000 grit then 2.5 won`t be perfect but it`s less costly than a repaint.
    I would love to see you do it just for a comparison, you got nothing to lose and i may learn something.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pander5 View Post
    That is absolutely clearcoat failure. The only thing for that is a respray IMO. Fortunately if it`s simply limited to that one spot should be relatively easy and fairly inexpensive but it needs a repaint. I would buff out the rest of the car and then have the shop match the color and brightness of the surrounding paint.
    I agree with everybody.

Pander answered exactly how I would have. Any buffing to that area is going to be a very temporary fix that will leave you with a bad spot in the paint no matter what. That may be worth it to you but I would rather not waste my time and just either live with it or get it repainted.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, I`d rather put off the repaint for a while (I`m probably going to sell the car in 6 months and upgrade, so maybe I`ll do it around then).

Though seeing as I`m getting the PC and the SSRs, worth a try. If I used 2000 grit sandpaper first, should it be wet dry sandpaper and I use it wet? Also,just a light sand 2-3 times over the area... then hit it with the PC and SSR 2.5 2/3 times?

Again, I know its not going to come up great, but even just reducing the clear coat specling and just smoothing it all out is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pander5 View Post
    You are absolutely correct........clear coat failure, Honda in the early 90`s Model are well known to do this also........cure...Repaint...there is nothing else you can do, trust been there, done that !

Post Thanks / Like

I agree buffing will make it blend a little better but if you want it to look perfect you will need a repaint.

On the other hand you can get some Dulicolor Clear in a rattle can and spray the air and then wet sant it wil 1500, 2000, then 3000 and buff it might save you some money but still wont look perfect.

Shawn
    (954) 871-0205

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyones help and advice! I will get stuck into it once I get the PC... no huge rush to have it repainted, but will down the track.

Thread Information