Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint cleaner application Question?

As I was walking to the post two days ago I noticed that my neighbor was out detailing his BMW on his driveway. He had completed his wash and was using Meg`s Cleaner Wax paste and applying it rather thick on the entire vehicle as I passed on the way to the post. When I returned he had a Sears orbital buffer in his hands and was buffing off the the residue. I could hear the motor humming and pulling down as he buffed the paint with a bonnet that was tied over a wool pad.

He stopped what he was doing and we chatted very amicably for a few minutes. He was very proud of the fact that he detailed his car every two weeks using the cleaner wax. He liked that it deep cleaned the paint everytime that he detailed.

What would you say to a man that has hand applied a cleaner wax very thick unto a paint surface. Then buff it off with a cotton bonnet using an orbital buffer and use cheese cloth to wipe the dust from the paint surface.

I use paint cleaners all the time but only do a section at a time. Applying product to the pad rather than to the surface of the paint. Also, I personally have never used cheesecloth to wipe wax dust from a polished surface.

As an aside I have to say that I have always noticed that his vehicle were always kept very clean. Yet the spider webs on both ofhis vehicles are amoung the worst that I have ever seen.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint cleaner application Question?

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad View Post
    What would you say to a man that has hand applied a cleaner wax very thick unto a paint surface. Then buff it off with a cotton bonnet using an orbital buffer and use cheese cloth to wipe the dust from the paint surface.
    Personally I would say "Good Morning", "Good Day" or "Good Evening". depending on which one applied and keep walking.

Also, I personally have never used cheesecloth to wipe wax dust from a polished surface.
    I have and if used properly, I don`t remember it doing any damage. Cheese cloth, cotton flannel, cotton diapers, cotton terry towels all were part of my kit for over 50 years.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Those are tough ones, because obviously he thinks he knows what he is doing. Do you think he would be receptive to input, or just dismiss it? If he is the slightest bit receptive, point out the spider webbing and then show him your car without them. That should get his interest. 95% of the people that never understood "my process", were all ears once I showed them the difference between a clean car and a detailed car. If it doesn`t get him interested, you are probably wasting your time.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Personally I would say "Good Morning", "Good Day" or "Good Evening". depending on which one applied and keep walking.
    That approach is usually the easiest!

Post Thanks / Like

How about mentioning Detail City to him, he might enjoy it and would learn how to improve his process at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

You could try the complimentary approach. Tell him how nice his car looks, but it could look even better. See if that piques his interest, if it doesn`t then he is content.
    You could just be friendly and mention that he doesn`t have to apply the cleaner wax as thick for it to work well.

I have used cheese cloth and cloth diapers before I changed over to MFs. Like many things, they were good for their time, but lets hear it for the better mouse trap.

If you wish to be deceitful, you could say that Barry Meguiar told you not to do it the way your neighbor is

Give it a try, you never know how receptive people will be to change, if this guy is doing this every other week then he might be open to improvement.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what I did, Charles. It was afternoon and I made some pleasanteries and was very polite. I respect this guy. He is retired military with a nice family. I complimented him on his detailing work ethic and headed home.

I did come back with a neighborly present of NXT 2.0 and some new DMFT from Poorboy`s as a nice present but saw a few days later he did not bother to use either. The small bottle and MF towels were in the same place and position as when I placed them on a shelf near the door of the garage.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has different standards. For many people, a shiny and clean finish is good enough. They may not want, desire or concern themselves with swirls, etc. He`s doing it his way, the same way he`s done all his life. It`s the way his father did it and his father before him.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I sound like a snob when speaking of this neighbor. That is not my intent. I tried to be encouraging and complimentary when I was speaking with him.

I was more concerned with the process with which he partook. Having viewed his swirl marks for several years I wondered how they kept getting worse and worse.

Thanks for all the responses.
    cwcad

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don`t really want to sound too indifferent to the situation, offering advice not asked for isn`t always a good move.
    Offering advice when asked for doesn`t always have the effect you think it will.
    Over the years, I have been asked a lot, "What wax do you use?" When I tell them it is a 3 step combination, the reaction is normally, oh. I have never had a single person want any more information about the process. When I get that reaction, I suggest using a good cleaner wax regularly and leave it at that.
    They are looking for a cheap, easy fix and like most things in life, that ain`t the way it works.

When I did a friends black Saturn Vue a year or so ago, I gave him an almost full bottle of NXT liquid and suggested he use it each month. The bottle has never been used.
    The friend of my wife`s that I did the silver Chevy Trail Blazer. (freebie) for asked the Chevy dealer about detailing it for her. She couldn`t believe they wanted $250 to do her vehicle. When I explained what I had done, she was really shocked. She thought it was wash, wax, vacuum, clean the windows and it was done. Anyway, I did it for her again as another freebie. Took less than 1/2 as long and I really didn`t want to have to fix up the dealer`s screw-ups if they made any. Hey, for all I know, they may do a great job.
    I have another friend that uses Zaino regularly on his black Corvette. I couldn`t even guess at how many layers he has applied. By the looks of the shiny swirls, I think I can come pretty close to how many times it has been polished. Like none. He thinks he is "one of the boys" since he uses this great product. Kind of sad, kind of typical.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct about the free advise, Charles. I did not offer any. I have learned not to say anything at all.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

He was definitely and old school thinker. He applied it way too heavy, used a buffer and bonnet to take off the residue and used cheesecloth on the other sections. All those are techniques that used to be considered the way to do it right. He just hasn`t advanced on to newer products and techniques.

Asking him if he`d be interested in a more efficient way of taking care of his car wasn`t out of line. You don`t have to get into swirl removal, but if he tried the new product and technique, he may have liked the results. You aren`t being a detailing snob, you are simply trying to bring him out of the middle ages.

Some people are just stuck on old and outdated methods because "it`s the way they`ve always done it."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Some people are just stuck on old and outdated methods because "it`s the way they`ve always done it."
    So, you wanna make sumthin out of it?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    So, you wanna make sumthin out of it?
    Shouldn`t you be outside waxing your Gremlin?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Shouldn`t you be outside waxing your Gremlin?

If it was warmer. (10 degrees, wind chill -12, NNW wind @ 26 mph. )
    If I had a Gremlin. (Thank goodness I don`t. )
    Chances are good I would be out waxing it.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information