Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Sealant and Wax

I know this has been discussed here before but I was reading all the hype on AG about Max Wax and this part is what really caught my attention.

with every coat of Max Wax. [ The addition of VOC compliant polymers allows the wax to bond to the paint for longer lasting protection ]

Why is it OK for the manufacture to mix them and then everyone is told you can not put sealant over wax..
    I think it has more to do with the fact that the wax will come off in a few weeks and any sealant on top would come off also and has nothing to do with the two not being compatible

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mixing Sealant and Wax

From my first experience with sealants until recently, I was led to believe that a sealant would not bond to the paint when applied over a wax because the wax would prevent it.
    Was that a true fact? I don`t really know, but a lot of things make me question the validity of it.

1. Sealants seem to "bond" OK when used over Klasse AIO. How do they "bond" though the acrylic any better than they would through a wax?
    2. Meguiar`s has always said that their products were compatible. If their sealant will "bond" over one of their glazes or waxes, why wouldn`t everyone else`s?
    3. Many people used Poorboy`s PwC, Polish with Carnauba, (Wax), as a prep for a sealant and didn`t seem to have a problem.
    4. Both Zaino Clear Seal and Optimum Opti Seal are recommended for use over a wax.

Actually, I have no more idea what truly happens than I did the first time I used a sealant 20 years ago.
    I cannot say that I have ever had a problem with a wax or sealant having an extremely short life span. One reason is the fact that I apply wax/sealant every 4 to 6 weeks and it seems that most anything lasts that long.

As far as the manufacturers mixing products, they often use some additives that aid in that process. Most of us don`t have any idea what additives to use and in what quantity or order.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure what the answer is, but Charles hit some points.
    The bottom line would be to go with what the mfg says it can or can`t do. I do remember years ago people saying that Klasse SG (not AIO) would not bond over wax or even certain polishes with too much oils ... Things may have changed with the VOC compliancy to allow more chemicals to mix and match as most have moved towards water bases.
    Your best bet would be either to contact Autogeek and let them tell you or just experiment and then come back and tell us your results
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steve most of us on this board is like Charles said he is.
    We don`t leave things go long enough to really know how it works only how it looks.

I don`t think I will be ordering anything for awhile.
    I did order a bottle of the new NXT 2.0 I liked the look of the old nxt on my Black car but it had the worst durability of any sealant that I ever used.
    Hope the 2.0 is better.

Thread Information