Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile My first Z-experience!

I decided to take a break this afternoon and wash the 4Runner. She was pretty nasty, and I was breaking the no water use ordinace in the county where I live, but sometimes you gotta be a rebel.

Anyway - My friend who passed me the ONR was also kind enough to send a smattering of Zaino products my way. While it will be a few weeks until I get to try the "system" I did use the wash (Z-7) and the tire dressing (Z-16) this afternoon. I briefly wanted to throw out my thoughts on them, so here goes.

Let me preface by stating that this isn`t the usual type of product review I would do, but as I stated in an earlier thread I am worn out and don`t feel like taking the pics and writing an article for a scholarly journal.

Z-7: I`ve heard a great deal about how good this soap is, so my expectations were high (as it will be for all the Z stuff I try out). It`s greenish blue and the smell reminds me of grape Big League Chew. Traditional two bucket method was used. First off I noticed it didn`t sud up too much (I used about two ounces to 2.5 gallons of water - my usual with other shampoos). That doesn`t really bother me too much, although I do like the suds for aesthetic reasons. I did notice that it was pretty slick and it did a pretty nice job of removing light tar. It rinsed pretty nice as well.

Overall, I think it`s a pretty good soap. Not my favorite that I`ve ever used (which is 4 Star`s Auto Shampoo by the way) but it is pretty high on the list. I`d rank it along with DG 901 & NXT wash, which are a couple of other faves with me. To be fair, I didn`t use it conjunction with an entire Zaino system`ed vehicle, although I personally don`t think that should really matter. Soap is soap, but I`m sure some Z users might say something about it working better when it`s washing Zaino sealant or something. So there it is - quick and dirty as us COBOL programmers used to say. My take on Z-7.

Z-16: I`m pretty set on the dressing I use nowdays (VRT), so when I used the Z-16 it was a little different for me. It was pretty thin, but I remembered Kirk`s advice about "thin is in" so I used it pretty sparingly. After cleaning the tires and wiping them down with a MF towel, I applied the Z-16 with a cotton applicator. It went on very nicely, and a little did go a long way. The Z site says the stuff is supposed to last quite a while, so I am hoping that holds true. I am also hoping that it will hold the look that it has for a while, because I like it. It`s a tad more shiny than VRT usually is, but not "ghetto fablouz" shiny. I haven`t driven with it applied, so I don`t know if it slings or attracts dust as of yet.

Overall, I like it and depending on how it holds up I may be purchasing more in the future.

So there you go. Quickie reviews on a couple of Z products. I am excited about trying the system as a whole, but I gotta make it through this month first.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first Z-experience!

I always thought that Z7 was a low suds high lubricity type car shampoo. I mix and match a lot of products but think Zaino is one of the products that I like to use synergistically. I think that Z7 cleans but does not remover the Zaino sealants as some other shampoos may.

VRT is made my whom? Is it an Adam`s product? Adam`s VRT is what I have on my truck at this moment. I pulled it out of storage just the other day. I had forgotten just how much I like that product.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I will say Adam`s VRT when I use the stuff from Adam`s, but I do have some Chemical Guys stuff that`s called VRT too and it works very similar. I won`t say it`s the same stuff, but it works just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Well, I will say Adam`s VRT when I use the stuff from Adam`s, but I do have some Chemical Guys stuff that`s called VRT too and it works very similar. I won`t say it`s the same stuff, but it works just as well.

I heard that they were the same thing this very day. Either one is a good product. Even if they are the same...just re-labeled.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

Even if they are relabeled, I don`t get all upset about it. Both work well, and Adam has always been helpful, like most of the other folks I have bought stuff from. I bet a lot of folks would be surprised if they realized a lot of things they buy are made by someone other than who they thought made it. If it works, what does it matter? Not to open this can of worms again........

Post Thanks / Like

ZPC Fusion: I had a small sample of this to try as well. Having read about it previously, I didn`t really have a lot of hope for it removing any noticeable marring. I did try it on some micro marring that had been wash induced, but it didn`t do the trick. I used SSR 2.5 to remove the micro marring, and followed up with the ZPC to "burnish" the surface and bring out a nice shine. I felt it well suited for that task. It was also easy to remove, and from what I can tell it doesn`t leave any type of fillers, which is what I would expect.

Overall, it`s a nice secondary or finishing polish, but if you`re going to do a full polish job with it, I think you`d need either a lot of extra time, or maybe step up to a more coarse pad and make several passes, followed by less abrasive pads with the ZPC again. I`d liken it to the SSR 1, or maybe a smidge more stout than that.

Got a couple of panels left, and then it`s on to ZAIO for a final burnish and a base for Z2 Pro.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick and honest reviews. I`d like to try some of their products out sooner or later just so I can see what the hype is about.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up. I liked the not "ghetto fablouz" shiny part that was good. And I am glad to see you have found another avatar from the creapypeople.com site...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I can agree with your assessment of ZPC. The product is as you say. And yes, it is very pad dependant. Also more corrective measures can be taken with the introduction of a rotary as well.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

I want to do a more thorough review of at least the LSP`s. I have a small sample of Z2, Z5, and Clear Seal. I am going the Z2 route on my Tacoma. I might try the Z5 on a friend`s car if he`ll loan it to me for a day or so. One thing is for sure, I really have high expectations of this line. I have read a lot of raves about it, but the only one I have really taken stock in is the person who sent me the stuff to try - and he says it`s pretty good. So I am hoping to have the shiniest Tacoma in the area now.

Stephan - the man in the avatar is Patrick Tribett, Fark.com photoshop legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, get this... I got through an entire session without the power going out, the Cyclo quitting on me, dropping the Cyclo on the Tacoma, slipping and falling down......

ZAIO: I went over the entire Tacoma with the Cyclo/finish pads and ZAIO. I did not intend on trying to test ZAIO`s polishing and/or cleaning abilities. The Tacoma has already seen at least two rounds of polish on each panel, and it is as near to perfect as I am going to ever get it.

Since a little birdie told me that "thin was in" with the Zaino, I layed this stuff on Trojan thin. I came back behind with a MF towel and buffed it off. First, I gotta comment on how easy this stuff goes on and off. Right up there with the easiest I`ve ever used. Second, it leaves a fantastic shine. I`ve used other AIO`s and none leave a shine behind quite like this. I really wonder what kind of protection it would leave behind (for customers and such - wash and waxes). Third, it`s slick. I was surprised at this also as I wouldn`t have thought it would be as slick as it is. It really gets my hopes up for when I lay down the Z2 Pro. I would have to say that if I was going to "one step" it a lot of the time, this would definitely be on my short list.

Most importantly, I was interested in the ZAIO as a base layer for the LSP. I had read that it was good for this, so I am hoping that the Z2 Pro goes on like a charm and sticks. I`m not a guy who is really all that interested in long term durability, but I am going to try it out on the Tacoma and see how it does with minimal upkeep from Z8 and possibly Clear Seal. If it does anything close to what I`ve heard from the pulpit on this stuff, it will be going on my parents cars (which don`t get cleaned all that much).

Also, I had taken some preliminary photos to try and post, but the garage lighting doesn`t really do any justice. I will probably just wait until I get one layer of the LSP on and try to snap a few in the daylight outside. Until then, here`s hoping I don`t fall and break my neck considering how the rest of the week has gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Z6: I used this as intended, to remove any light dusting which may have occured between last night and this morning. Sprayed it on a panel, and the wiped off with one of PB`s thick MF towels. From what I could tell, it did what it was intended to do. Particularly, I used it instead of S&W because 1) I am trying to do an entire Z process and 2)it is supposed to aid in bonding. I find it peculiar that every product always has some mention of helping to aid in bonding, but when I think about it, maybe it`s just well designed. I`m just going on what I have read from around the boards on it though. Obligatory scent reference: It smells really nice. Almost reminds me of Otter Pops from when I was a kiddo.

Z2 Pro: Finally got around to applying the LSP, one of my favorite steps. This is only one layer, I plan to do several more. It went on easy (applied via the Cyclo and finish pads) and removed just as easy. Personally, I don`t think it applied or removed any easier than my #1 sealant (4Star UPP). While I`m on it, I definitely do not think Z2 Pro is as slick as UPP either.

After all the hype I have heard about the Z line, I was expecting some miraculous transformation after one coat, because I had read posts where folks have said things like "my neighbor came over and asked if I had my car painted." I just don`t see that happening unless you had a neglected car to begin with. Even with my semi-trained eyes, I couldn`t really tell a difference between the Z and UPP. Both seem to be very clear and glossy. Don`t get me wrong, I am not unhappy with it after the first coat, I just didn`t get blown away like I think I was supposed to. I am also working with white, which is sometimes a pain the . However, I have read that Z2 Pro is supposed to excel at light colors (maybe I should quit reading so much....). Again, I do plan on multiple coats, which I have read does increase gloss and slickness.

To revert back to a previous little review I did on NXT 2.0, from just one coat, I feel that NXT 2.0 is slicker and looks just as glossy after one coat of the Z2 Pro. And that was on a wash and wax, albeit it a different color. One of these days, I might do a side by side comparison on panels or something, but I`m not really interested in that right now. I am optimistic that additional coats will boost the slickness and shine, as I have previously read.

And with that, here`s some "one layer" photos. It`s very overcast here today, so no sun or bright light.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly does look good.
    Of course if anyone cares to view your album pictures in the gallery, both your white and red trucks have looked great in all the previous photos you have posted.
    I personally think your results are due to your capabilities rather than the products.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

ZAIO has worked very well the few times that I have used it. I agree with your assertion that it cleans paint very well. I have never considered it as a one step for protection, though. Mostly, because I used it in lieu of ZFX prior to applying Zaino sealants. Although ZFX does aide in the use of Zaino sealants, if applied in multiple layers in one day, I have not seen a difference in the final look( I know... some may argue this point).

As a user of UPP, I am surprised that you noticed the slickness after ZAIO. I thought that my paint was nice and smooth but slickness(it happens to be my favorite trait) was not something out of the ordinary to me. I would think with the addition of a Zaino sealant, you would/will see/feel a dramatic difference in the smoothness on the paint surface.

Now here is a wish of good luck in this continueing Z-experience..."Break a Leg"
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

It took me so long to get my last comment posted you were able to sneek in the pictures. I knew that UPP would be in the comments. CharlesW is right. Your truck does look nice but it really is a testament to your detailing abilities. I think that the long term protection(shine,gloss, ease of cleaning,beading characteristics) will be the determining factor in this particular comparison.
    cwcad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information