Thread: Dp

Post Thanks / Like

Dp

I have been searching through autogeek the past few weeks looking for the next order (it takes me a while to make an order and finally decide on everything)
    One brand I noticed was DP, I also noticed that there is not a lot of talk of DP on this forum.
    I was wondering what people think of DP, I know like any line they will have products that are good and others not so much.

So the point of this thread is ask.. for those who have tried DP products, which ones have you tried, how did you like them and what about it did you like?

Thank you for any info, I know it`s alot to ask but I`m sure I`m not the only one wondering the same thing

-mike
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dp

Mike,
    The only product I`ve tried was the Extreme Foam Formula High Yield Foaming Auto Shampoo. The acronym would be effhyfas and that`s huge.
    I just got a sampler from a friend recently and I was thoroughly impressed. It was the end of the season for the summer car and I used a bit in a bucket for a two bucket technique and the suds, slickness and cleaning power were great.
    I`m keeping a bit for the next foam gun session, the stuff is supposed to be just magical with a foam gun. Come spring, I and maybe a few local car buffs will share a gallon or two.
    It`s worth a smaller bottle as a trial. You`ll be very impressed, and if you`re not, I`ll buy it from you in a New York minute. You`re in Calgary, I`m in Victoria (actually a bit north but close enough).
    -John C.

Post Thanks / Like

I use their Premium Surface Shield (sealant) and like it a lot. Goes on very easy and leaves a very slick finish. I always end up topping with carnauba, but it does not seem nearly as durable as KSG. However, it`s much easier to apply than KSG so reapplying after a few months is no biggie for me.

I used their Final Gloss booster and it didn`t wow me.

There is almost universal praise for those who have used the foam gun shampoo, Max Wax, and glass cleaner, all of which I`m looking forward to trying.

Post Thanks / Like

DP ... originally known as Detailers Pride was one of the first lines that was designed by Max at PBMA. It is good ole made in the USA products with reasonable prices and most offerings come in larger sizes than competitors.

Two years ago the entire line was revamped and the labels and title was revamped also. Adding something like 15 additional products. It is sold to alot of professional detailers in bulk sizing and continues to be a hidden gem within Autogeek. The most recent change was that the sealant, Shield Shine, was enhanced and now looks very much like a famous "other" sealant. (super glossy and reflective with reasonable durability)

I would highly suggest using the MaxWax, Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner, New Shield Shine, Clay/lubricant, as well Xtreme Foam as must trys. The carpet cleaner and exterior cleaner are also first rate products (smell is a little harsh on carpet cleaner, but cleans well) and the DP Wheel Cleaner is very safe and rather neutral (needs some agitation) and DP Gel for those wanting a thick glossy covering.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like their Xtreme Foam shampoo and their Surface Shield Sealant. Max Wax is very nice also. I would probably prefer to use this sealant than any other on the market right now.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I had very good results with their swirl removers, and would rank them up there in ease of use (user-friendliness) and results with SSR 1 & 2. I also liked the Premium Surface Shield quite a bit. All the DP products I have used have been extremely easy to use and produced good results.

I think the reason that it isn`t talked about so much is that there are so many other products that are "staples" in people`s collections that they don`t have the room or time to try them out. I don`t think it`s because the DP line is inferior in any way.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kllr. The DP line is a hidden jewel. There are some really great products in there IMO. Here`s what I`ve used so far along with my thoughts . . .

DP Premium Surface Shield - a great sealant which is very durable and leaves a wet, reflective finish but is a little softer looking than most other sealants.

*DP Max Wax - What can I say about Max Wax? It`s a REALLY great wax which deepens dark colors gives nice depth of reflection and makes paint look liquid. It`s got pretty decent durability for what I would call a "beauty" wax too.

*DP Polishing Pad Rejuvinator - A great product to use for cleaning polishing pads. Better for use in a detail shop or when a lot of pads are used. For smaller volume pad cleaning I`ve switched to the XMT pad cleaner.

*DP Gel Wheel Cleaner - A powerful yet safe wheel cleaner which works equally well at cleaning tires. Unlike other gel wheel cleaners this one sprays out evenly not clumpy.

*DP Gloss Tire Gel - A long lasting tire gel which gives a shine in between that of Meguiar`s Endurance and Meguiar`s Endurance High Gloss.

*DP High Performance Glass Restorer - An easy to use glass polish which quickly removes water spots and other glass imperfections leaving crystal clear glass.

DP Auto Bath - A better than average car wash soap. However, IMO it is still not in the league of Poorboy`s SS&S or Optimum Car Wash (new formula).

DP Spray Surface Sealant - I`ve only been using this on my wheels so far. However, I`ve found that it`s very easy to work with and has good durability. It does leave more of a plastic-y sealant look than the DP Premium Surface Shield.

*DP Interior Surface Protectant - Awesome product!! Leaves a look similar to Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer. My interior looks new after application not glossy, not even matte really, just new. My only complaint is that I often get a blotchy finish a day after application which just requires the surface to be re-buffed to correct.

*DP 4-in-1 Rinsless Wash & Shine - IMO hands down the best rinseless wash on the market. IMO this product is a hair better than the Optimum NRW, but I find the DP provides a little more lubricity. Both are great for washing the car without a hose. I also like to mix some with water in a spray bottle to make QD/clay lube.

FYI, I put a star next to my very favorite DP products. In the future, I`d like to try the wheel glaze and maybe the glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the info, i think I may have to look into getting some DP products. I did find a bottle the sealent in my garage so I will have to give that a try one of these days. Also the intrior protectant sounds like it might do well in my garage. I guees this is going to go on my list of things I want to try (yes folks I keep a list on excell..well its not that crazy the holidays are comming up )
    Well anyway thank you for the info and I will let eveyone know when ido place an order (these days it dosent seem if i will but when I will)
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that DP is a highly underrated line. The new DP sealant is excellent and super slick. I got a sample of the foam gun soap and promptly bought a gallon of it as I did with the Gel wheel cleaner when I ran out of the regular size. The Max Wax is a great wax on any color and is great for metallic flaked paint. I have loved every product I have used from this line and just cannot say enough good things about them.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    I guees this is going to go on my list of things I want to try (yes folks I keep a list on excell..well its not that crazy the holidays are comming up )
    That`s a great idea actually. Whenever I place an order I can never remember all the things I decided between orders that I wanted. I often forget one or two things which get added to the next order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    That`s a great idea actually. Whenever I place an order I can never remember all the things I decided between orders that I wanted. I often forget one or two things which get added to the next order.
    Thnkx, I find that there are a million products that I want to try, but i only have the money for about 10 lol. I just make a list and when the time is right I place an oder, somtimes things come off the list because i no longer want to try them, for example i no longer want to try AW (i know people love it ) so its no longer on my list. Also i dont want to oder a million products at once and have them sit there. so when i run out of somthing I can check the lsit , see what I want to try and then i dont have to worry about space. I think its somthing that all us ocders should try lol.. well maybe not all but it works for me
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit ironic that this subject should come up as I just reaquainted myself with the DP Spray Surface Shield product Sunday afternoon. Hmmm I thought to myself, this stuff is pretty slick. I should post and see what other`s experiences have been.

Anyway DP products I have:

DP Gel Wheel Cleaner - I cut mine 50/50 with distilled water. It works OK, though I need to do a cost analysis comparing it with a general use APC to determine if I will repurchase. As noted earlier, it does spray easily.

DP High Performance Glass Restorer - Bought it, but have not had the occasion to use it. Don`t encounter much problem glass that isn`t cleaned via less aggressive methods.

DP Auto Bath - A very average car wash soap. It doesn`t have great lubricity, cleans average at best, and doesn`t hit a good price point. Lots of lesser priced products that easily outperform this one.

DP Spray Surface Sealant - It had been awhile since I had used this product reaching for OCW more often when this type of product is called for. I was in a bit of a rush Sunday due to fading daylight so picked it to touch up the paint. I was pleasantly surprised at the slickness I felt as I removed the product from the well prepped surface. I can`t speak for beading characteristics. The paint looked good, not overly warm, not dripping, but not sealant "plastic" either. Just nice. I look forward to working with the product more often.

DP 4-in-1 Rinsless Wash & Shine - I`m not enthralled with the low water wash products, though I own several (DP 4-in-1, ONRWS, QEW -- DP Waterless Auto Wash, PB`s S&W, not quite the same but similar enough to be mentioned). I generally use these products in door jambs, treating wheels pre and post wash, spot cleaning paint etc. These products will never be my first choice for washing my vehicles and definitely not those of customers. That said, of the mentioned products, my vote goes to PB`s S&W.

DP Waterless Wash - Decent enough alternative to PB`s S&W, though no improvement, in fact I do prefer S&W, and higher cost factor gives me no incentive to change horses.

As with any product line, I`m sure you can find some definite winners along with some under-performers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    DP Gel Wheel Cleaner - I cut mine 50/50 with distilled water. It works OK, though I need to do a cost analysis comparing it with a general use APC to determine if I will repurchase. As noted earlier, it does spray easily.
    I`ve heard that adding water to gel wheel cleaners can prematurely activate the surfactants (I`m no chemist keep in mind this is just what I read on Autogeek On-Line). This reduces the effectiveness of the cleaner. I`m wondering if this has impacted your experience.

DP 4-in-1 Rinsless Wash & Shine - I`m not enthralled with the low water wash products, though I own several (DP 4-in-1, ONRWS, QEW -- DP Waterless Auto Wash, PB`s S&W, not quite the same but similar enough to be mentioned). I generally use these products in door jambs, treating wheels pre and post wash, spot cleaning paint etc. These products will never be my first choice for washing my vehicles and definitely not those of customers. That said, of the mentioned products, my vote goes to PB`s S&W.
    Sounds like you`re using it like a QD mixed up in a spray bottle. In my experience this product is much more effective in a bucket. I think you`ll find where this product shines is when you use it with the two-bucket method and a sheepskin mitt. In a spray bottle there are many, many, many other QDs which work much better.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

This reduces the effectiveness of the cleaner. I`m wondering if this has impacted your experience.
    Since I didn`t report having a bad experience, I`m just not sure what your point would be.

...In my experience this product is much more effective in a bucket. I think you`ll find where this product shines is when you use it with the two-bucket method and a sheepskin mitt.
    You must have missed this statement:
    These products will never be my first choice for washing my vehicles and definitely not those of customers.
    To clarify, the use of these types of products to wash any vehicle is a method of last resort. Thus my description is based on my own experiences with the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I didn`t report having a bad experience, I`m just not sure what your point would be.
    The comments you made about the product made it sound like you were not thrilled with the product. "It works OK" is not really a ringing endorsement and usually people who are satisfied with something do not talk about switching to something else. Anyway, I`m glad to hear you are more satisfied than I thought. I always hate to hear about bad detailing product experiences.

You must have missed this statement: To clarify, the use of these types of products to wash any vehicle is a method of last resort. Thus my description is based on my own experiences with the product.
    Again we seem to be victims of miscommunication. Your comments centered around using the product like a QD and then you compared it mostly to other QDs. So, I didn`t grasp the fact that you had in fact used it in a bucket.

Personally, I used this product all last winter in my garage to clean my car. The winter before that I used QEW. A traditional hose wash is better for sure, but I wouldn`t necessarily refer to rinseless washes as "a last resort." There are plenty of very good detailers who use these products on their customer`s cars on a regular basis without issue. IMO, their a bit of a PITA and hose washing is much easier but rinseless washes are certainly a viable alternative.

Anyway, we`re all entitled to our own opinions I was just trying to help you out with what seemed to be an unsatisfactory product experience. Sorry about misinterpreting your earlier post.

Thread Information