Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Zaino Z5 Pro vs. Zaino Z2 Pro - thoughts & images

It seems like there have been a million and one questions in regards to which `Z` sealer one should purchase. There have been many agreements and disagreements over look, application, and durability, but here is what I`ve come up with after using each product on more than 20 cars in various conditions, locations, and ultimately, judging over time.

Zaino Z5 Pro

Application/Removal - With super thin coats, you should be using .25 oz or less on a normal sized vehicle`s paint, exterior glass, and wheels. I usually go with a rule of 1 drop of ZFX per .25 oz of Z5 Pro. Apply vertically on vertical panels for more gloss. Moisten applicator with Z6, Z8, or distilled water for easier application. Wait 10 minutes before removing.

Look - With a properly prepped surface (clay and polishing), expect Z5 Pro to increase the depth and wetness of the surface. Further, expect the color of the paint to become more prominent and notice a look that rivals some carnauba waxes. Z5 Pro will synthetically fill very minor marring/swirling. To maximize this attribute, leave the residue to dry for about 30 minutes, and then remove. I would recommend this product predominantly for solid colors.

Durability - Although Z5 Pro is rather new, I have been playing with it for a while. The first applications of the new product (a little over 3 months ago) are still *looking* very good, beading well, and have slickness to the surface. I would safely say on a vehicle washed (with standard car wash soap, by hand) every 7-10 days and outside 24-7, for a single (ZFX`d) application of Z5 Pro to last 5-6 months. For vehicles that spend their nights in a garage, add 1-2 months.

With the previous version [Z5], having 3 ZFX`d layers on my Integra, weekly washes and Z6 or Z8 applications, and a garage every night, after 7 months, the surface was very slick, beaded very well, and was very deep, wet. Therefore, I could conclude this sealant was barely broken down, if at all.

Secrets - Of course, using a system of products by the same manufacturer increases your success, but I have had great success with Zaino Z7 wash. A touch more aggressive than others, but it allows for a more effective cleaning job which ultimately leads to the abolishment of surface penetrating contaminants. Further, when applying Z5 Pro with ZFX in a bottle, put 2-3 trigger squirts (per ounce of sealant) of Z8 in and mix. The overall look is enhanced. Lastly, if you have trouble with streaking (applying heavy on dark cars), use Z6 to remove, not Z8. The cleaning power in Z6 does a more effective job in removing the residue.

Zaino Z2 Pro

Application/Removal – Being a bit thicker product than Z5 Pro, I find it very important to thoroughly moisten, almost saturate, your applicator with Z6, Z8, or distilled water. Again, with super thin coats, you should be using .25 oz or less on a normal sized vehicle`s paint, exterior glass, and wheels. I usually go with a rule of 1 drop of ZFX per .25 oz of Z2 Pro. Apply vertically on vertical panels for more gloss. Wait 15 minutes before removing.

Look – With a properly prepped surface (clay and polishing), expect Z2 Pro to increase gloss (light reflectivity) and clarity. In my best judgment, the look is far from ‘plastic’, but rather a very attractive and bright finish. I have had excellent success with it on all colors, but find it really makes the metallic paints explode with life.

Durability – Z2 Pro has been out for a little over a year now and I have used it on many vehicles since then. I would safely say on a vehicle washed (with standard car wash soap, by hand) every 7-10 days and outside 24-7, for a single (ZFX`d) application of Z5 Pro to last 5-6 months. For vehicles that spend their nights in a garage, add 1-2 months.

Secrets – As stated above, Z7 Car Wash followed by Z6/Z8 afterwards is an excellent cleaning and gloss enhancing regimen. When applying Z2 Pro with ZFX in a bottle, put 2-3 trigger squirts (per ounce of sealant) of Z8 in and mix. The look is enhanced. If you have trouble with streaking (applying heavy on dark cars), use Z6 to remove, not Z8. The cleaning power in Z6 does a more effective job in removing the residue. Lastly, on an already Zaino sealed (Z2 Pro and/or Z5 Pro + ZFX’d) surface, after washing, dry to about 90% (some streaks and drips remaining) and apply a quick layer of Z2 Pro. The remaining water will help the product spread and by the time you are done wiping down the jams and wheels, your paint is ready to be buffed (by hand) to a brilliant gloss.

Conclusion - Both Z2 Pro and Z5 Pro are excellent sealants from Zaino. With their ability to be used on any non-porous surface, to their unmatched durability and shine, I see a spot in my arsenal for both products. For the consumer wanting just one product, I would have to give the nod to Z5 Pro. With a slightly easier learning curve and minor filling abilities, Z5 Pro is an instant classic. I have yet to hear a *bad* review on the product.

For the diehard enthusiast, I would recommend doing the Z5 Pro/ZFX/Z8 x 3 regimen on one day, then consecutively layering Z2 Pro over it (with or without ZFX/Z8) for a combined look of gloss, wetness, and depth. Some even argue to go Z5 Pro/Z2 Pro/Z5 Pro/Z2 Pro/etc for their personal vehicles. Whichever way you go, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I hope this information has helped and to further iterate my point, I have included some pictures below:

Z5 Pro x 3 (ZFX’d) , Z2 Pro x 2 (non-ZFX)

Z2 Pro x 1 (ZFX’d) – Notice the extreme gloss

Z5 Pro x 1 (ZFX’d) – Very deep and wet

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zaino Z5 Pro vs. Zaino Z2 Pro - thoughts & images

Nice write-up, Sean!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. I really like your format.

Contrary to ‘myth’ I’ve found Zaino to be one of the most user friendly line-ups out there.

I look at detailing an exterior as 3 basic steps (the 4th is optional)

1) Wash & Clay
    2) Compound and/or Polish (Zaino works well with 3M, Menzerna/BF, and AIO)
    3) Protect: Z6 Wipe, Z2Pro or Z5Pro, touch up’s & final wipe down with Z8.
    4) * Optional * but not required. You can repeat step 3, top with a carnuba –or whatever puts wind into your sail.

You can basically plug in your product of choice in the steps above, so I don’t see Z as following a separate ‘cook book’ of instructions.

The ONLY difference with Z is you have to mix zfx in a 2oz bottle and shake it for about 30 seconds. Big deal. I spend more time grabbing a beer from the fridge (LOL).

If you want to mix & match products, results may vary. But I find this true with most any line up. For example I used to like to lay down a base of UPP, and top it with EX. If I wanted to switch back to UPP, I would typically ‘wipe the slate clean’ with a chemical cleaner (AIO), and start over. Zaino follows this same concept –again no difference in ‘process’ (or at least my process).

Like I mentioned in a post a few days ago, Zaino does a lot of little things that other products don’t.

-Z10 smells like new leather for DAYS, not hours, and does not streak or spot at all.
    -Z2/Z5 provide a slick barrier. You see a significant reduction in road debris sticking to your paint when driving through foul weather conditions.
    -When I rinse down my paint, I feel confident that my mitt isn’t picking up any sand/debris that is ‘stuck’ to the paint. This results in less marring.
    -Z16 lasts longer than any water based dressing that I’ve ever used to date. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to clean ‘brown’ tires.
    -Z12 cleans glass/water spots as well (or better) than anything I’ve ever used.
    -Many times after a rain shower my paint dries virtually spot free.
    -I could go on and on…….

p.s. Remember your post earlier this year -“My son took the snow off with a steel shovel” We applied a single coat of Z5 & final wipe down using Z8. I saw the TL a few weeks ago (6 months later) and it still looked excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. Of course I aam already a Zaino advocate and use Z5PRO and Z2Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    Nice write up. I really like your format.

Contrary to ‘myth’ I’ve found Zaino to be one of the most user friendly line-ups out there.

I look at detailing an exterior as 3 basic steps (the 4th is optional)

1) Wash & Clay
    2) Compound and/or Polish (Zaino works well with 3M, Menzerna/BF, and AIO)
    3) Protect: Z6 Wipe, Z2Pro or Z5Pro, touch up’s & final wipe down with Z8.
    4) * Optional * but not required. You can repeat step 3, top with a carnuba –or whatever puts wind into your sail.

You can basically plug in your product of choice in the steps above, so I don’t see Z as following a separate ‘cook book’ of instructions.

The ONLY difference with Z is you have to mix zfx in a 2oz bottle and shake it for about 30 seconds. Big deal. I spend more time grabbing a beer from the fridge (LOL).

If you want to mix & match products, results may vary. But I find this true with most any line up. For example I used to like to lay down a base of UPP, and top it with EX. If I wanted to switch back to UPP, I would typically ‘wipe the slate clean’ with a chemical cleaner (AIO), and start over. Zaino follows this same concept –again no difference in ‘process’ (or at least my process).

Like I mentioned in a post a few days ago, Zaino does a lot of little things that other products don’t.

-Z10 smells like new leather for DAYS, not hours, and does not streak or spot at all.
    -Z2/Z5 provide a slick barrier. You see a significant reduction in road debris sticking to your paint when driving through foul weather conditions.
    -When I rinse down my paint, I feel confident that my mitt isn’t picking up any sand/debris that is ‘stuck’ to the paint. This results in less marring.
    -Z16 lasts longer than any water based dressing that I’ve ever used to date. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to clean ‘brown’ tires.
    -Z12 cleans glass/water spots as well (or better) than anything I’ve ever used.
    -Many times after a rain shower my paint dries virtually spot free.
    -I could go on and on…….

p.s. Remember your post earlier this year -“My son took the snow off with a steel shovel” We applied a single coat of Z5 & final wipe down using Z8. I saw the TL a few weeks ago (6 months later) and it still looked excellent.

Great post!

I agree with all, but I have to further emphasize the ease of putting a couple ZFX drops in a 2 ounce bottle, capping, inverting, and mixing...I spend more time coiling my hose. I just never could see eye to eye with people who would spend hours upon hours detailing but would fail to mix 2 products for under a minute.

Irregardless, John, great points.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. Very informative.

So, in the last picture... love those bright orange slippers
    * 17 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 - Granite Metallic
    * 06 Honda Civic LX - Royal Blue Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Excellent post. Very informative.

So, in the last picture... love those bright orange slippers

That was the client .

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WONDERFUL!!!!!! Sean that was an amazing post. I was very curious to all of those questions. A wonderful member on this board has a treat in the mail for me of the Z that I will definatly be trying very soon.

Greg

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez

Jaw dropping

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^Amen.

Post Thanks / Like

A very good post with a lot of insight. It also has a few new ideas using the ZPro`s 2 and 5. Mgm2003(John) had mentioned using Z8 with ZFX in a wipedown process. Will impliment your ideas as well as John`s in October.

Kudo`s to 2 quality members(Sean and John) of Detail City. I applaud you for thinking outside the box.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Secrets - Of course, using a system of products by the same manufacturer increases your success, but I have had great success with Zaino Z7 wash. A touch more aggressive than others, but it allows for a more effective cleaning job which ultimately leads to the abolishment of surface penetrating contaminants. Further, when applying Z5 Pro with ZFX in a bottle, put 2-3 trigger squirts (per ounce of sealant) of Z8 in and mix. The overall look is enhanced. Lastly, if you have trouble with streaking (applying heavy on dark cars), use Z6 to remove, not Z8. The cleaning power in Z6 does a more effective job in removing the residue.
    Interesting info. Never thought adding Z8 to the mix of Z5. I`ve used Z7 with distilled water mix for streaks as it was cheaper than Z6 and worked very well.

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad
    A very good post with a lot of insight. It also has a few new ideas using the ZPro`s 2 and 5. Mgm2003(John) had mentioned using Z8 with ZFX in a wipedown process. Will impliment your ideas as well as John`s in October.

Kudo`s to 2 quality members(Sean and John) of Detail City. I applaud you for thinking outside the box.
    Kurk, You`re just saying that because you want to spend the month of October with my Cyclo.(LOL).

Remember last December? I was the #1 sceptic of Zaino.

My biggest surprise has been with the rest of Sal`s line up.

Zaino has raised the bar.

I`ll continue to try new products (I can`t help myself), but Zaino will be my benchmark.

God I love healthy competition!

Products keep getting better and better!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I am glad this is making the fog lift.

scrub: I took that the other night (1 day after a wash). The photo op was wayyyy to good to pass up...It complimented the car very well.

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez
    Thanks everyone, I am glad this is making the fog lift.

scrub: I took that the other night (1 day after a wash). The photo op was wayyyy to good to pass up...It complimented the car very well.
    Agreed. That`s some pro level photography (and detailing of course)!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information