Post Thanks / Like

Post Product Review: RainX Bug & Tar Pre Wash Gel

Since I had the “bug” about this product, I decided to stop by AutoZone on my way home from work to see if they had any. To my luck, Autozone had the whole line of RainX car care products in stock. So here’s my experience with the RainX Bug & Tar Pre Wash Gel. Test subject is my 2000 Solara. Driven lightly, last washed around a week ago. I would say the bug accumulation on the front was moderate, as it doesn’t get the same wipe down treatment that my truck does every day.

Availability: Available locally at my AutoZone store. This may vary depending on your area.

Packaging: Blue bottle with a black spray top. If you’re familiar with RainX, you’d recognize the labeling/logo.

Price:
    $5.99 USD for 23 ounces of product. Approximately 26 cents per ounce. I think I used very little for the test, but doubt that I would use much more if using it for the entire front end, side mirrors, etc.

Directions: The directions say to rinse excess dirt, spray the RainX gel directly onto residue, wait 3-5 minutes – yes minutes, wash with a quality wash. Retreat if necessary. Right off the bat, the wait 3-5 minutes thing got me, because with Bug Squash, I have never had to wait longer than a minute tops for it to get my front end almost bug free. There are some standard warnings about not using on hot surfaces or directly in the sun. Also, a caution on the label says prolonged/repeated contact may dry skin and cause irritation. I guess what worries me about that is the effect on my LSP.

Product: The product is a clear “gel.” It’s not a very thick gel, but it’s definitely not a liquid, like Bug Squash. It also has a distinct aroma. I don’t want to say “solventy”, but it has that sort of smell about it.

Usage: I first sprayed the front of the car with a jet of water to remove loose bugs, debris, and dust/dirt. I then sprayed the RainX on the passenger side and Bug Squash on the driver side. I allowed the BS to dwell for around 30-45 seconds and hosed it off carefully, trying not to disturb the RainX side. Approximately 85-90% of the bugs were gone with the BS/hose combo. I then let the RainX dwell for the suggested 3 minutes and hosed off. I could immediately tell a difference as far as the amount of bug debris that was not removed on the RainX side. Again, guesstimating, I would say it removed about 60-65% of the bug stuff with the product just being hosed off. I do like the fact that it seemed to “stick” to the panels a little better than the Bug Squash.

Next, using NXT wash, I swiped the front of the vehicle with the wash mitt to remove any stubborn bugs that were left. The BS side was nearly 100% clean with one swipe, while the RainX side had a few straggler bugs who wanted to hang around. I had to work on a couple of spots with some mild pressure, but nothing too severe. After a final rinse, I was happy with the test. I do not feel that the RainX had an adverse effect on my LSP, as both sides felt pretty slick and retained the original characteristics of the sealant that had been applied previously (UPP).

Conclusion: The RainX pre wash isn’t as effective as Poorboy’s BS in removing the bug debris by just spraying on and hosing off. It’s hard to explain if you have never used BS, but the stuff is just amazing. Comparing the RainX stuff to it is almost unfair. But, to be honest, I liked the RainX product as well. It did a very good job at removing bug debris, and it’s nice to be able to run and pick some up if you need it. It’s not too expensive for the enthusiast either. I’d recommend it to people who don’t want to buy over the net. Just an FYI, RainX makes a companion product – I think it’s called Bug & Tar Shield or something to that effect – but I am not inclined to try it after reading the directions. I do however think that the RainX pre wash is a nice product to have, but I don’t think it will be replacing my Bug Squash.

Some pictures…
    What I was working with

Both products sprayed onto the surface – RainX on the left, Bug Squash on the right.

After the initial hosing off

RainX close up after the hose off

Bug Squash close up after the hose off

After the swipe with NXT wash & sheepskin mitt - ignore the rock chips please

Questions, comments, etc.?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: RainX Bug & Tar Pre Wash Gel

Wow! Bug squash is that good huh?
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I need to pickup about a gallon of the Bug Squash. Thanks Jared for the review with step by step pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    Wow! Bug squash is that good huh?
    Yep. IMO, it may be the best product Pooroby`s makes. And yes, I use S&W.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Well illustrated review. And yes, Bug Squash kicks arse!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for another review i love reading them there done really well. I think ill have to go run out and buy some of this stuff. Thankx again

-mike
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Thread Information