Post Thanks / Like

Forever Black top Gel review

I don`t much take care of my convertible top, about 5 times a year I scrub it with 303 Multi Surface Cleaner, mine was looking pretty scraggly, and a bit faded. What I used:

303 Multi Surface Cleaner
    Forever Black Top Gel
    Polish Angel Fabric Brush

I didn`t pay attention to the description, looks like Forever Black`s for vinyl tops, it said soft tops in the description. I just assumed soft top = fabric. I read some reviews on Amazon and apparently people have used this on fabric tops with no problems. My top is fabric, or canvas which is uhhh fabric? lol I don`t know. 2008 Saturn Sky Redline. I bought it because 1 of the reviews I read was 5 stars and he used it on a Redline too.

As you can see, dirty and could look blacker.

I scrubbed it with 303 + the brush then rinsed it and let it sit in the sun until it was dry.

after cleaning, before applying Forever Black.

Now about the Forever Black application process, I hate the applicator that comes with it, I don`t know if it`s the proper applicator, but it`s cheap feeling sponge that seems to really soak up the product. If I was to use this product again, I`d try a hex grip applicator. After 1.5 applications it was already starting to fall apart. It didn`t seem to spread it very evenly, but for the price of the kit I guess I shouldn`t expect a great applicator. I used a little over half the bottle, and will be using the rest to put a 2nd coat on tomorrow. Thsi stuff stains *DUH* I used gloves and tried to be careful, but I still managed to get some on my paint, it came off with some waterless wash + a MF. Not sure how much harder it would have been if I hadn`t noticed until the next day. I would advice against using this product while wearing a nice new shiny white tee. I did this, and my shirts toast lol.

I`m a bit on the fence with the after shot here, yes it looks better, but I think it looks almost as good after just scrubbing with 303. It definitely needs more product in some areas, I just went outside 2 hours after and looked at it and it looks a bit better still. The after pic was taken about 20 minutes after I applied. After I apply the next coat tomorrow I`ll take a few more pics. I hope it becomes blacker, and the white`ish crease line towards the back in the last pic isn`t as noticeable. After the 2nd coat dries I`ll be finishing it with some 303 Fabric Guard.

PROS:
    not expensive
    easy to use

CONS:
    I think it`s not what I should have used on my top? LOL that`s not a knock on the product, just a knock on my reading comprehension.
    Don`t like the included applicator.
    will spatter your shiny white tee with micro black dots.

I think for under $20 this is a good deal, someone please respond and tell me my top`s not the right kind? I know it`s fabric, so using it was probably a bad idea lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forever Black top Gel review

Maybe you`ll be happier after the 2nd coat
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked the the pics, don`t know what the hell but they don`t look like the originals. I`m using Onedrive, and it did some sort of compression on them. The last on looks especially different. ugh lol

Post Thanks / Like

kinda tough on eyes when scrollin through the pics
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, wrong product for your fabric top. I would have just used 303 fabric cleaner then 303 fabric protectant. If you use that combo every 6 months the top will look great for years. But all in all it doesn`t look too bad in the pictures. Make sure to use the 303 fabric protectant for water repellency and UV protection.
    Likes rookiez, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Yep, wrong product for your fabric top. I would have just used 303 fabric cleaner then 303 fabric protectant. If you use that combo every 6 months the top will look great for years. But all in all it doesn`t look too bad in the pictures. Make sure to use the 303 fabric protectant for water repellency and UV protection.
    I agree with this. I love 303 products!! I used it on carpets and was amazed. I even think to put it on something else in the kitchen that I don`t want to get dirty easily lol.

Post Thanks / Like

http://perpetualradiance.us/temp/20160809_093938.mp4

Hit it with another coat of Forever Black, and yesterday at 11AM put 2 coats of 303 Fabric Guard on it. Crummy video, but it shows the beading fairly well. LOVE LOVE LOVE 303 Fabric Guard. Don`t know how it`s duaibility compares to offerings from CarPro & Polish Angel, but it`s sooooo much cheaper and so easy to apply I don`t see any reason to buy anything else. And I don`t see how any other product could work better. 303`s beading is awesome

Thread Information