Post Thanks / Like

DF Towels vs. MF Towels

I just wanted know what the pros and cons of ea. Thinking too buy some DF Towels. I have not seen any problems with MF`s but thinking the DF Towels would be better.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DF Towels vs. MF Towels

Isn`t DF Towel just a brand name?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Isn`t DF Towel just a brand name?

I think he`s after a quality 100% cotton towel vs. a quality MF

-what are the pro`s & con`s of each.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are all cotton

Post Thanks / Like

The DF Concours towel is one of my favorite towels for final buffing and LSP removal (my other favorite for this step is the Poorboy`s Velvet Smooth). The DF towel is exceptionally smooth and effortlessly glides over paint. It is also thicker and heavier than most other detailing towels. On the other hand, it is a rather pricey towel and is also a little higher maintenance than a polyester/polyamide MF towel (takes longer to dry, easily snags, requires trimming of thread pulls, etc.). The DF Concours would not be my first choice for other detailing steps such as heavy polish removal or drying. If you are interested in reading more, I posted a rather long-winded write up in the following old thread - Final Polish MF?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty sure that DF Towels are cotton micro fiber towels.

Micro fiber describes the towel construction and could be just about any type of thread.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see if the 100% cotton towels would be better the a 70 30 % mix. I have too say that I love Poorboy`s Meg Plush Towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GBG TL
    I want to see if the 100% cotton towels would be better the a 70 30 % mix. I have too say that I love Poorboy`s Meg Plush Towels.
    The DF Concours and PB Mega Plush are very different types of towels. I have both and use them for different tasks - DF for wax and sealant removal and Mega Plush for QDing.

Just so there is no confusion, the 70/30 ratio that you mention does not normally include cotton as one of the materials. When referring to synthetic MF, it is generally a blend of polyester and polyamide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awd330
    The DF Concours and PB Mega Plush are very different types of towels. I have both and use them for different tasks - DF for wax and sealant removal and Mega Plush for QDing.

Just so there is no confusion, the 70/30 ratio that you mention does not normally include cotton as one of the materials. When referring to synthetic MF, it is generally a blend of polyester and polyamide.

Marge, Does one produce more marring vs. the other -or are you saying that you use them for 2 different purposes because the cotton towel is better at removing wax/sealer and the MF (MP) towel is better at QD?

-One more question.... what type of towel do you use to dry?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awd330

But some will say that polyester will scratch the paint and cotton will not. I have not had any problems with the synthetic towels( knock on wood). I am just trying to improve my process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    Marge, Does one produce more marring vs. the other -or are you saying that you use them for 2 different purposes because the cotton towel is better at removing wax/sealer and the MF (MP) towel is better at QD?

-One more question.... what type of towel do you use to dry?
    My preferences stem from personal observation of the way various towels behave with various types of products. For example, I think the DF works better with thinner and dryer products (like a light coat of carnuba wax). The Mega Plush absorbs liquids faster, so I like to use it with QD sprays. For drying after washing, my favorite is a waffle weave towel in a 75/25 blend.

FWIW, I don`t like to get caught up in discussing fiber blend ratios or thread counts. There is a varying degree of quality among all MF offerings. A 70/30 blend is not always "better" than 75/25 or 80/20. Some blends are more absorbent. Some blends are softer. However, the overall quality of the towel construction is more important. It doesn`t matter what blend is stated on the package if the towel leaves lint all over your glass or falls apart after 3 washings.

Post Thanks / Like

But some will say that polyester will scratch the paint and cotton will not. I have not had any problems with the synthetic towels( knock on wood). I am just trying to improve my process.
    Any material that touches your paint has the potential to cause marring. A high quality synthetic MF towel will certainly be safer than a roughly hewn cotton towel. The material is not as important as the overall construction of the towel. My personal experience is that the Mega Plush and the DF Concours are equally safe. In the long run, it will be your washing/drying technique and the care and maintenance of your towels which will affect your paint`s condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I don`t have a problem with the towels I use. I was just thinking the 100% towels would work better. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Try rubbing a DF Towel on a CD and a regular synthetic MF on a CD. You will see what one marrs more. I have done this and DF Towels marr the CD badly with little pressure. They didn`t marr the paint though.

I find the CD test good for testing one towel against another. It scratches so easily you see what one is more likely to scratch paint. The CD is so soft that just because something scratches it doesn`t mean it will scratch paint but its good for comparison purposes.

Thread Information