Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Reflective Reflection Porsche Polished- Orinda Auto Detail

We all know Porsche has a long time tried and true racing heritage. This Porsche came in showing all the signs of track abuse or do we assume it’s not abuse and just being used to it’s potential. The owner stated to me that he was retiring this car from racing and to make this Porsche look as reflective as possible no matter the cost. Reflective is kind of relative to me because any real detailer knows you park anything in the shade and it will “reflect”, But I knew what he meant! He wanted me to put the car under multiple light sources and truly correct the paint with as many steps of polishing as takes to get it perfect. Then after it’s perfect take it even further and jewel the paint so that it’s as reflective as possible. Then I ask my self what is my job description as a professional detailer when the customer is asking me for an insanely reflective finished product? Clearly that means its going way beyond just the paint! I knew what had to be done everything on this car had to be as reflective as possible so some 34 hours of work later I had achieved a reflective everything! Reflective reflection Porsche!

Lets start here when I pulled into the wash bay in a shaded area we notice OMG its reflective! Awesome my Job is done! I then thought to my self maybe this car doesn`t quite look like I think it should maybe I should wash it at least then be done! So I did a 2 bucket wash on the car cleaning everything I could clean. Amazingly it took me 3 1/2 just to wash this car! Surely it has to be reflective enough now!

I pulled it out side and it was raining so I took some pics and after my wash and decon of the paint the truth came out. The relfectiveness wasn`t that good all.... I didn`t understand it looked good in the wash bay but out side with just the flash of my Iphone you can see it`s not reflective. On top of that there is some weird etching on either side of the rear spoiler that really wasn`t reflective.

Strange right? I`m 4 hours into this now and still not reflective....

OMG under a halogen its really not reflective...... Machine polishing was gonna be order to make it reflective agian

Using an Orange CCS pad and Menz SIP. Notice the pad is smiling because I think It knew before I did, the paint might soon be reflective!

Armed with a rotary buffer from dewalt lets see what one pass does. I`m hoping for reflective goodness

There is a sign of some reflective goodness YAY! Lets keep on this reflective path

Lots of scratches here messing up the reflectiveness

And after SIP, Followed by SRC finishing on a white pad, Then 3 passes of 3m ultra fine on a red pad you get a reflective section of the car! I would of used SRC all the way but I`m really low till my gallon gets here and I trust it more than Ultra fine to not hide stuff for middle polishing. Ultra Fine does finish down amazingly well as a jewelling polish, very reflective IMO.

At this point I knew I was on the path to a reflective ride as I couldn`t find any defects (removable ones) on the paint under any light source LED, Halogen, florescent, my Iphone flash.... Gonna be real reflective when I`m done

Same steps. I firmly believe to get a reflective car you should do all of polishing and panel/section at a time till its perfect and work your way around the car in this fashion. It`s less stressful to think I just need to make this 2x2 section reflective instead of the whole car.

Wow the defects being removed make for a reflective panel.

there’s those things again making it not reflective....

YAY now it’s reflective!

This pic was taken at 930pm 12 hours after I started. The brutal truth of that matter is that to correct paint to a level of jaw dropping relfectiveness it`s really time consuming I`ve spent 8 hours just on the paint and I`m only half way done.

At this point my arms were numb from polishing so I took a break to get the interior all dialed in. It wasn’t that bad so no before pic but when I was done to add the little extra HEY IM A PRO AT THIS touch I did the zebra lines.

Fast-forward to 930am less an hour nap at desk after polishing all night. This is first chance I had to see it in the sun. No LSP just IPA wipe down after my polishing and jewelling steps.

Very reflective eh?

Wow and I thought I was done as soon as it was in the shade....

Perfectly jeweled reflective paint. Ahhh looking at this is like bliss. And as a testament while I was taking this picture a random passer byer stopped and made this face and quickly set up an appointment to have his car become reflective as well.

At this point completely happy with paint I applied HD Poxy to decided it was time to make everything else reflective. The exhaust tips were my first targets.

Reflective! YAY! Notice I have the car up in the air on a lift. While doing this my detailing spidey senses went off! Something just wasn`t right??? What wasn`t being reflective?

AH HA!!!! I found it!! Why I would care to make this reflective? Why go through the trouble you ask? Refer to my job description and customer expectations!

Rat poop isn`t very reflective so I had to clean all this out... On a side note spiders suck and there were a bunch of them here.

Aftermath lol

After cleaning the wheel wells and suspension parts you could really see how reflective the white lettering!

Now that`s a reflective brake caliper!

That’s some none reflective rubber there. So I carefully taped the paint around and used a q-tip and some hyper dressing and...... Any guesses?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reflective Reflection Porsche Polished- Orinda Auto Detail

Reflective!!!! All the rest of the rubber trim around the car was conditioned in the same fashion.

Reflective and non reflective 50/50!

Ugly before

Reflective and polished after ward! Even the air intake got polished inside out

Tisk tisk

Bet you thought I was going to say REFLECTIVE! Nope just shiny. After all of that let`s take the poxy off and see what we go

And thats a reflective car eh?

Thanks for looking
    Joe Torbati
    Orinda Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive! Great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks smooth Joe. That was a lot of crap behind that plastic piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure if it`s reflective enough

Amazing job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
    Very impressive! Great job.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Looks smooth Joe. That was a lot of crap behind that plastic piece.
    Thanks Rocket! and ugh I`m aracnaphopic there was a black widow in there I sprayed with megs wheel bright (acid) and it didnt die. I`m still scared to go back in the shop lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I`m not sure if it`s reflective enough

Amazing job!
    Really???? But I made everything Reflective!!! lol
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

That tops not very reflective...!
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    That tops not very reflective...!
    It had holes in it, and is getting replaced next week! I was waiting on someone to point that out lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Joe..
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

very sweet job.how is the blackfire finish polish to work with?does it wipe off good?bet the owner was stoked

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great job Joe..
    Thanks Pat!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    very sweet job.how is the blackfire finish polish to work with?does it wipe off good?bet the owner was stoked
    Thank you and SRC Finishing I <3! My absolute favorite. I do full correction with it all the time. Next to no dusting, removes a lot of defects, and finishes down like PO85rd with the switch of a pad. LOVE LOVE LOVE SRC Finishing polish. Ask Todd I bugged him for 6 months till he made me gallons of it to buy!

Post Thanks / Like

excellent work joe. love that color.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

oh boy! nice work man!