Post Thanks / Like

Different Paint Systems

The different type of paint systems used today at the OEM (factory) and aftermarket level varies wildly. Below is a chart that shows the cross section of different types of single stage and base coat/clear coat paint systems, as well as some of the different ways metal flake may be incorperated into the paint.

Single Stage paints are rarely used at the OEM level. In a single stage paint the color coat (base coat) is exposed. When you polish single stage paint you will get get color transfer from the paint to your polishing pad.

Base Coat/Clear Coat paints are commonly used at the factory level and extremely common in most aftermarket paints. The color is contained in the base coat, which is usually dull or semi-reflective. Several coats of clear paint are applied over the base coat to provide UV protection and shine.

With special effect colors such as a candy coats, pearls, and metallic flake, the effects may be in the color coat, clear coat, or most commonly in thin layers sandwiched between the the various layers. With base/coat clear coats it is uncommon to find flake mixed into the clear coat, although it still happens. When polishing a paint system with flake mixed into the clear your polishing pad will turn black (like you are polishing metal).

Clear coats are not always clear, at the OEM level some manufactures add a small amount of pigment to the clear for a desired effect. This is known as a tinted clear coat. Victory Red Metallic, found on Corvettes (and a similar hue on Cadillacs), has a tinted clear. You will notice some color transfer when polishing these paints, although nothing as dramatic as with a single stage paint.

When dealing with high end specialty and custom paint jobs, all bets are off. Painters will add different levels of effects and mix and match effects in order to give a desired effect. This is done at the OEM level as well (to a lesser degree) such as Lamborghini`s tri-coat pearl orange paint which features a base coat of orange base, a flake, a pearl-flake, and finally clear coat (for four layers despite the name).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Different Paint Systems

Always good to know what you might be dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

todd, is there a difference in the obtainable shine of a single stage paint vs. a clear coated paint ? can you get more shine from one vs. the other ?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    todd, is there a difference in the obtainable shine of a single stage paint vs. a clear coated paint ? can you get more shine from one vs. the other ?
    clear coats can be polished to a higher gloss than single stage paints....they also show more depth.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    clear coats can be polished to a higher gloss than single stage paints....they also show more depth.

thanks, that`s what i thought, until i saw some of todd`s handiwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice and informative post Todd. I`d also like to add that "candy coated" paint jobs are what was described as a tinted clear-coat for those that are wondering. Sometimes candy paint jobs will have pigment in the entire clear-coat layer, other times only final coat is applied with color mixed in.
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarcHarris View Post
    Very nice and informative post Todd. I`d also like to add that "candy coated" paint jobs are what was described as a tinted clear-coat for those that are wondering. Sometimes candy paint jobs will have pigment in the entire clear-coat layer, other times only final coat is applied with color mixed in.
    My understanding of candy paints is that they are a tinted clear coat underneath the regular clear. At least that`s how it is usually done. Candy coats can have pearls (most do) or metal flake blended into them depending on the effect. I suppose you could finish the paint with a candy coat (tinted clear) but I know at the body shop I used to work at they would always lay down two very wet coats of clear (usually reduced 20-30 percent more then normal to lay very flat).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post

The common train of thought (although not everybody agrees) is that clear coated paint tends to have a higher gloss potential on lighter colors. Many would argue (because clear is not really 100% clear) that a clear coated dark cars will never have the true saturation color of a single stage car (this particularly true of blacks).

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Todd
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like

More graphics for your book Todd!

Al