Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So, a friend of my sisters wanted their monster truck detailed. I said yes without seeing it. The owner`s workers accidentally put overspray on the side and hood of this beast, and so now it is up to me to fix it. Notice the white dots in some pics. The clay bar removes these, but it takes forever. Any faster suggestions would be appreciated. Here are the preview pics. I also detailed my Crossfire yesterday for the first time since almost a full month without washing the car at all. I washed, clay barred, polisealed, and poorboy`s natty`s paste wax it, including the wheels. Too bad I drove it yesterday. Bugs have already attacked it. Now I`ll be starting the beast that doesn`t fit into the garage. I almost forgot...the owner tells me that a brillo pad removed some of the overspray.

Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    Might wanna invest in some decent scaffolding.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I almost forgot...the owner tells me that a brillo pad removed some of the overspray."

Ya think! Crossfire looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dave40co
    "I almost forgot...the owner tells me that a brillo pad removed some of the overspray."

I almost forgot, I have to charge you $200 more than I told you. :xyxthumbs

You may need to invest in some plastic razor blades to speed up the overspray removal.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    As being a friend`s car, I was detailing it for a nice price, but after spending 2 hours on clay barring a whole side and the hood I will be asking for more. I`ll try the razor blades if my patience is lost. In the mean time, my partner and I are working with clay bars to remove the overspray. As for the scaffolding, well, the tires and a ladder act as nice platforms. The only good part about this truck is the fact that it is so tall that I don`t have to bend down to polish the sides. Thanks for the advice and thanks for looking everyone! :wavey
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    I *think* you can use paint thinner on clear coat to remove the overspray. I know you`re probably thinking WTF?!?! but I`m pretty sure it`s safe to do.

I recall reading this in my "how to paint a car" book I got from Borders. They were talking about different types of paint jobs and how to figure out what type of paint it is. A single stage paint or enamel based paint should react to paint thinner where a double stage paint will not react to paint thinner.

Find a good test area and try it?

Otherwise I`d be sanding it with 2000 to remove the overspray. It seems like that would be much easier than using clay and cheaper too.

Just some random thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    What about using 3000 or 4000 instead of 2000?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man yall wouldnt last a minute in my area. I do those type of trucks everyday lol

Like Scott said, invest in some plastic razor blades, or ask the owner if he`s up for some 3000grit wetsanding.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping Brandon would chime in!!! LOL!!! This is his bread and butter!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    What about using 3000 or 4000 instead of 2000?

You can use 3k or 4k but it`s just going to take much longer depending on the overspray material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mose
    I was hoping Brandon would chime in!!! LOL!!! This is his bread and butter!!

You know it man!

How ya been?
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone...I don`t have wetsanding material yet, but I have stopped the clay bar process for now. I will get some from my partner if all else fails. I love big trucks but I hate them when they need detailing! Instead, I have been playing around with polishing an area...

Before:

Menzerna SIP and yellow edge foam via rotary:

HTEC and yellow edge foam, SIP and green foam, then 106FF and blue foam, all rotary:

I think I`m going to have to work it in a few more times after looking at it in the sun:

Still, it`s a big improvement (the area to the left of the tape has been polished, the area immediately to the right of the tape has been polisealed via rotary only, and the area to the right of the towel has been untouched):

Not an ordinary teen

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of clay are you using? Have you tried the agressive MEguiar`s clay?

My neighbor`s work van got spray painted by some punk thug kids this spring. We tried several things on it (it was his work van, so he told me to have at it, and test anything I wanted on it), and we found nail polish remover with a 100% cotton towel worked the quickest.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    What kind of clay are you using? Have you tried the agressive MEguiar`s clay?

My neighbor`s work van got spray painted by some punk thug kids this spring. We tried several things on it (it was his work van, so he told me to have at it, and test anything I wanted on it), and we found nail polish remover with a 100% cotton towel worked the quickest.

clay magic medium grade
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    That last shot is crazy. Put that in the "50/50" thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information