Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little rust underneath the car !

Quote Originally Posted by ElLeon View Post
    Clearly you`ve never owned a Mazda...
    Mazda`s got nothing on Datsun`s, Volkswagen`s, Vega`s, Renault`s, Fiat`s of yesteryear to name a few when it comes to chronic rust out vehicles. Dan hit the nail on the head, check first to see if there is something specific causing this area to rust. As someone who has undercoated hundreds of vehicles, sometimes undercoating is the best answer and sometimes all the undercoat does is seal the rust pocket in and not allow air to the affected area. Panel failure is inevitable if that is the case. Going price used to be $99 for most cars and $149 is where trucks started.

Sidebar that some might find humorous. Picture this, imagine what happens when someone leaves the pressure sprayer nozzle trigger engaged and simply unplugs the airline to the undercoating tank when finishing previous a job. A 20 gallon container of Chevron`s best "black tar" undercoat sits there waiting for the next guy to plug the air line in not realizing the nozzle is ready to spray. Now the guy that`s plugging the air line into the tank isn`t holding the nozzle so it`s kind of like a fire hose that no one is holding on to. I watched one of the mechanics in a shop I worked in literally undercoat a female customer who was walking through the adjacent bay.

I wasn`t involved other than to herd the tire busters from the shop as they were all but rolling on the floor laughing at this poor woman and the mechanic that had just undercoated her. This petite lady was now striped black, hair, glasses, blouse, pants and all. It was ugly. The look on the mechanics face was priceless. The back shop customer service counter`s location was moved shortly thereafter.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t forget to pull the interior wherever the hole is. You don`t want to find out later that the rust spread inside the panel where you can`t see it until it breaks through again.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, you`re going to want to clean that and use a good rust converter. Honestly I think Eastwood has the most comprehensive selection of products for this, but they are expensive.
    True, but not as expensive as the repair after it eats through. I have used the in frame coating and the rust encapsulator paint.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information