Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Experiment....build thread

Did not really know where to put this so I decided to put it here. I have a ODD idea that I want to try.. It will give me a Lesson in detailing and possibly others.

I want to HIGHLY Detail my car being detailed/restored . but detailed by the members on this site. with me buying products and tools and doing the job. but buying the tools and products suggested by you guys. Starting from the ground up (IE: tires wheels chassis motor interior then paint last.)

Thread was copy and pasted from another forum so it jumps around.. the video at the end is as of Saturday.

If you Guys are down for the experiment please chime in. If not here is my build so far. on what my wife calls Dilbert aka Blue whale.

After selling my 05 VW Jetta GLI

I told my wife no more newer cars...So I started looking around Craigslist looking for something a bit more classic. Something that you had to actually Drive when you are behind the wheel. I was looking at older muscle cars, air-cooled VWs. Then my wife suggested to look at older Volvo`s (her first 3 cars where Volvo`s a 244,850, and 740 wagon.) So I started looking around didn`t find anything that really caught my fancy. Then one morning I stumbled across this gem.

I called the number at 7 am and met the owner and his son that night after work and drove it home. basically the car sat that way other then me doing minor work to it painting the wheels with black pasti dip then ripping it off.

2 months ago. I did some diag work to the car it was running rough.. and driving 80 miles a day I couldn`t let it die on me. so I soon found out that I was running on only 3 cylinders.My options where pull it all apart and fix it. and drive my slo 245 all around or lets get fun with it.
    So I Picked up a 1990 740 TI from a buddy for 400 dollars. his shop had it sitting in the back for 3 years customer never came and paid the bill for his rebuilt engine and turbo.
    which after battling the black widows and daddy long legs this was retrieved

I then started to work out the details and started to collect parts. I picked up a MS set up from cosbySweater. (GREAT PERSON TO DEAL WITH he gave me everything needed to run this set up and even gave me a wonderful picture diagram on how to install it).

Now up to date!
    I have pulled the dead and very very tired b23 out of the 245.

Before

Cleaned up the engine bay. Still needs some more love.

Plans are to have the turbo motor in the car and running by xmas.. this is a engine/trans/and ms install I have tons of work to do! looking to get around 250hp for now and then build the old b23 for max hp and big turbo fun!

suspension plans are to be bagged

full cage and t5 swap eventually.

My current daily. Thank GOD I live in AZ

Got the engine in Saturday with the wife`s help

played with Megasquirt wiring yesterday waiting on parts to arrive to work today to keep on trucking

Volvo 245 on Ms2v3 - YouTube (video Dont know how to embed here.)

but car runs now!! still waiting on some parts until I can drive her. the video is short because of no coolant and intercooler.

So first part of the Experiment is Wheels/tires and Wheel wells.
    What Products and tools am I buying... keep it reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

re: A Experiment....build thread

Please keep up with this thread. I LOVE build threads. Did I mention that I love them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. This is the thread that kind of gave me this idea..Amazing work!! I know that i will not be able to go into the detail that he goes into. Due to time and money.
    and I just realized that I spelt experiment wrong in my tittle. Oh well only human! hopefully I will have real updates tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner06 View Post
    Thanks guys. This is the thread that kind of gave me this idea..Amazing work!! I know that i will not be able to go into the detail that he goes into. Due to time and money.
    and I just realized that I spelt experiment wrong in my tittle. Oh well only human! hopefully I will have real updates tomorrow!
    Gave that thread a quick read through (will have to wait until I`m not working for a full read). AMAZING. Now I want a zinc plating kit. I want to plate EVERYTHING, lol...

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda how I felt.. Possibly for the next engine if I end up to keeping the car and not pick up another Audi

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Good luck with everything and I look forward to watching everything come together.

Okay, now onto the wheels... What you`ll need is a good all purpose cleaner (which will be used for a lot more than just this), some Wheel Woolies (or Daytona Speed Master Brush - I have both and prefer the Woolies because it doesn`t splatter), maybe a brush for the face of the wheel, a tire cleaner (Tuf Shine or the APC), a utility brush for the wells, a tire brush (Tuf Shine without a doubt), wheel cleaners (or APC), and finally tire dressings and a wheel coatings (if you want, though I highly recommend).

I will post specific links to the products I would buy tomorrow, if you want. Looking forward to everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great! I was going to coat the wheels with some jetseal109 I have somethings laying around still just let my detailing supplies go to hell and disappear. Thought that this would be a fun way to replace everything and get some new tools at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    So I just got a text from the wife. And I qoute. "Your big ass package just got here" followed with this photo.

Which means intercooler is here!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    So this was in the box.

And some piping and silicone couplers, and t bolt clamps.

My buddy who is going to help me with the fab work is backed up with other money making projects. So I decided to clean and restore a trim piece.

Before.

After.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! This seems like a very interesting thread. Can`t wait to see how it turns out.

A few questions... Is this car going to be a daily driver? How does the paint look and the interior? I need to know these things before I start recommending stuff.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I will snap some pics of it in all its glory tomorrow.

And it was a daily driver and will be again. I love the look on peoples faces when the car flys past them. Also get tons of complaments when Im out and about.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay bud, here is what I would buy if I could do it all over again from the start.

To clean the wheels, I don`t think there is anything better than the Tuf Shine system. Their brush and cleaner is, quite frankly, the best there is currently on the market. I haven`t used their tire clear coat because I like applying dressings, but others really, really like it.

TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit

And, what I bought was individually:

TUF SHINE Tire Brush

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner 22 oz.

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner CONCENTRATE 128 oz.

To dress the tires, your personal preference will guide you. I personally like CarPro PERL, undiluted.

Now, onto the wheels.

First the tools...

I, personally, like the wheel woolies.

Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes

For the face of the wheels, you can use a brush like this:

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush – 1¼ inch

Or like this:

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush

To clean, there are quite a few options. It depends if you are producing a lot of brake dust, if your wheels are coated, not sealed, with a wheel coating, etc.

Options include: SONAX Full Effect, 1Z Colourtec, Scholl`s Rim7, Griot`s Garage HD Wheel Cleaner, etc. I use the SONAX, 1Z, and Chemical Guys Diablo.

Now, to seal you can use your Jetseal 109, but I would really invest in coating the wheels, either with Opti-Coat, GTechniq C5, CarPro CQuartz, or the DP/Pinnacle offerings. Don`t balk at the price - trust us, it makes your life a whole lot easier. A whole heck of a lot.

Now, for the wheel wells, a good utility brush is necessary:

Mothers Fender Well Brush
    This is a popular offering from Mothers. It is a cheap and well made.

For cleaning the wheel wells, a good APC works. Personally I use Optimum Power Clean. It is more expensive, but has been shown to be the best. For the wheel wells, I don`t know if you need this, but maybe a cheaper APC would work best. Meguiar`s is another popular one. In fact, you could probably use their degreaser for more power.

Well, I hope this helps. If you need any more advice, we`re all here to help, or you can ask me directly. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    radarryan, that`s a bunch of great recommendations. I was going to recommend a coating, but didn`t know how often the vehicle was driven. I was thinking Opti-Coat since it`s a DD. You won`t get the "slickness" that you can get from some of the others, but you get longevity and durability. If you want slickness go with CQuartz. You could even use Opti-Coat on your wheels.

Optimum Power Clean is a great APC. It can be used for so many different things, interior/exterior and is paint safe.

I`m a big fan of CarPro Perl as well. Another diverse product that can be used for many things. PERL = Plastic, Engine, Rubber, Leather. You can even layer it on your tires to get more gloss if you desire.

I`ll think of some more....
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Well pulled the car out of the garage to clean the garage. Found that my oil cooler was leaking tightend that up. Spent 4 hours cleaning the garage. This morning I jacked the car up. Pulled the wheels.

Here is what I am up against in the wheel wells. 30 years of gunk.

Drivers side:

Passenger Side:

So I had some superclean degreaser decided to play a little.

I rinsed it off and then had to go to work. So I will snap a pic when I get home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information