Post Thanks / Like

How to tell if hood has been painted?

I`m wondering if my hood has been painted. I got a 2004 car in the spring and it had lots of swirls, and a few small rock chips on the fenders. No chips on the hood, but some swirl. Body overall was excellent, but ways I look at the paint there seems to be a hint of orange peel texture. Not bad, but a hint of it. Is this a flaw in the paint, clear coat or is a bit of this normal. I`ve checked out the hood edges, and I dont know what I"m looking for to tell if it was painted. Nothing on carfax or VIN info to tell if it was done by previous owner. It is blue metallic paint. Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to tell if hood has been painted?

Quote Originally Posted by clarks2ndwind View Post
    I`m wondering if my hood has been painted. I got a 2004 car in the spring and it had lots of swirls, and a few small rock chips on the fenders. No chips on the hood, but some swirl. Body overall was excellent, but ways I look at the paint there seems to be a hint of orange peel texture. Not bad, but a hint of it. Is this a flaw in the paint, clear coat or is a bit of this normal. I`ve checked out the hood edges, and I don`t know what I"m looking for to tell if it was painted. Nothing on carfax or VIN info to tell if it was done by previous owner. It is blue metallic paint. Ideas?
    Since the car is pretty new its not going to be easy to tell, especially if the body shop that might have done the work is real good at matching...If you can see some orange peel in the hood but not on the truck lid or other parts that might point at a repaint...lift the hood and check to see if you can feel any over spray in the channels and around the inside of the hood where there is paint...you might get a plastic sandwich bag and put that on your hand palm side down, feel the surface...if its rough that MIGHT be an indactor of over spray...next get some clay and rub those areas, if it lifts color then that`s another...all that said its still just an assumption...other than asking the dealership and getting an honest answer (not likely) will you be able to tell IMO
    Also try getting the car in the natural light and looking at various angles to see of you can see any difference in the finish...one last resort would be to look at a paint gauge to see the thickness compared to the rest of the car...kind of over kill
    The rock chips are something that could be suspect but its hard to tell...I`ve done cars with no chips on the hood but have some on fenders.

Other than the OP is there anything that attracted you to think this?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the easiest way to tell would be a paint guage..testing for thickness is the way professional used car buyers do it, but since i`m guessing you don`t have one of them, then feel the edge of the hood by the corner near the fender/ windshield ..it should feel real smooth all the way under, if you feel a rough area, then it`s probably been repainted....here`s the but...sometimes repaints happen at the factory if there was a flaw or run in the paint when going through the assembly line ...orange peel is not an indicator of a repaint as many new cars have it.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

It was the slight orange peel reflection I saw that made me wonder. However, I see a hint if it also on the door panel so... it came like this? I have heard the orange peel term and am new, so did not know if this is somthing that happens in new cars or just repainted ones. Thus, my question. What causes orange peel? Just full of questions here... Very helpful info... thanks!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clarks2ndwind View Post
    It was the slight orange peel reflection I saw that made me wonder. However, I see a hint if it also on the door panel so... it came like this? I have heard the orange peel term and am new, so did not know if this is somthing that happens in new cars or just repainted ones. Thus, my question. What causes orange peel? Just full of questions here... Very helpful info... thanks!

It just naturally comes from the flow of the paint spray whether it`s facotry or after market ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try a local pro detailer to see if they could take their PTG to it and give you the readouts. Used car sales folks usually have them too.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all... good info for the not as smart! Appreciate the feedback!

Thread Information