Post Thanks / Like
    What is the lowest temperature one can successfully apply polish, sealant, wax etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most will say around 50-60 degrees is optimal, but many are forced to do it in colder temps than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done details in temperatures very close to freezing. No problems other than I was freezing my you-know-what off.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    So other than having freezing body parts, am I to understand that there is no negative effects to waxing, sealing, etc. in cold weather? I wanted to make sure that is wouldn`t affect the products` performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about storage of your products. I have had mine in my garage and it has gotten cold. Does it affect them? I have since brought them inside but whats it do? Carnubas wheel wash etc.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt let your products freeze. White95max recently had a thread showing the before and after of some poorboy`s S&W that had frozen. The product was completely different. Also, some products don`t like to be applied in colder weather. Collinite gets very thick and viscous when its cold.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have applied wax at around 3Ă‚º above freezing. It can work, but the drying time is affected. (as are your fingers!) Haven`t tried sealants at that temp.

If ya gotta, ya can, but I don`t recommend it.

Also, as to the freezing of products - some will re-constitute after a vigorous shaking, others are finished. I prefer to err on the side of caution and keep all my stuff indoors.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many of the detailing product manufacturers do not recommend working with their products in extremely cold weather. In fact, most manufactures do not recommend applying their products below a temperature of 50 degrees.

Of course, most people may not be able to see any visual effects caused by working in cold weather other than drying time may be a bit longer. However, it does make you wonder whether or not the performance of the product is being compromised when products are being applied way down near the freezing mark of 32 degrees.

In summary, when it comes to application temperatures, I would highly recommend that it is always better to stay well within the manufacturers product temperature specifications. That is the only sure way to be certain that you are getting optimum performance from the products being applied.

Thread Information