Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PC + Patience = Reward!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to all...I recently purchased a PC 7336 from Lowes and really like it. My question is, the speed dial clicks through 1 through 5 precisely, but between 5 and 6, it does not click until it gets to 6. When I try to start the machine between 5 and 6, it barely operates. Everywhere else on the dial is fine. Is this normal or is there a problem I should know about? Thanks guys...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I would take it back actually. Mine does not do that. I haven`t seen one that does. Interesting...
    If other drivers don`t swerve when they see the shine of your car, your not done yet.

PC + Patience = Reward!
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I was afraid of...I don`t know anyone locally that has one so I had no one to ask around here. It works great on all speeds except between 5 and 6. I don`t even hear clicks between there so I figured it must be a glich in the mechanism...Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah take it back. It shouldn`t have that problem.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I would take it back actually. Mine does not do that. I haven`t seen one that does. Interesting...

Yes, exchange it for another one. All the ones I`ve handled do not have this problem.
    You learn to become Great by doing what other Great people have done before you.

PC + Patience = Reward!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replys guys...I am heading back tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute guys, there isn`t any setting between 5 and 6. At least mine doesn`t anyway. The speeds are in increments of 500 opm until you get to 5 and then it jumps straight to 6 with nothing inbetween. As far as it not running between the two settings, I`ve never tried to do that because there is no speed setting there, I am either on 5 or 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

Wait a minute guys, there isn`t any setting between 5 and 6. At least mine doesn`t anyway. The speeds are in increments of 500 opm until you get to 5 and then it jumps straight to 6 with nothing inbetween. As far as it not running between the two settings, I`ve never tried to do that because there is no speed setting there, I am either on 5 or 6.

exactly. 1 - 5 there are clicks in small increments, but from 5 - 6 it jumps straight through without any clicks. hhmmm....

Post Thanks / Like
    There are six marks on his dial, but only five speeds. Like if your six speed doesn`t go into fifth, just fourth and then sixth.
    danosdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used at least ten different PC`s (both 7336 and 7424) and they all have clicks between 1 and 5 but not between 5 and 6. I called Porter Cable and asked about this and they said that is how they are supposed to be. I get a laugh every time I read on Autopia about somebody running the PC on 5 1/2 because there is no 5 1/2. It`s either 5 or 6. As for the PC not starting when the dial is between 5 and 6 I have not tried it but I will right now and let you now what happens.

Ok I tried it. It starts and runs perfectly fine. If the dial is between 5 and 6 it will start on speed 5. You have to go all the way to 6 to get speed 6 because as I said there is no 5 1/2.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree...I have two PCs and both go from 1 - 5 in increments, then jump to 6.

I also haven`t tried starting them between 5 and 6 but I can imagine that there may be no contact with the switch as its between speed settings.

I don`t think anything`s broken. You may find the exchanged PC will do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    But it`s normal for it to barely operate when started between 5 and 6? Wouldn`t it work as if it were on speed 5?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

But it`s normal for it to barely operate when started between 5 and 6? Wouldn`t it work as if it were on speed 5?

Who said it was normal to barely operate when started between 5 and 6? As I said in my post I tried starting it with the speed dial between 5 and 6 and it ran perfectly fine. It had no problem operating. And as I said in my post when I started the PC with the speed dial between 5 and 6 it started on speed 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, there is no "5.5" speed, you`re either running at speed 5 or speed 6 and both of my PCs will work with the speed selector postioned between the two numbers.

But it sounds like rw3829`s PC doesn`t have electrical contacts between 5 and 6. Perhaps PC went to a different speed selector that has discrete contacts at 5 and 6 instead of a continual one bridging the gap :nixweiss

It just means that rw3829 has to select either one speed or the other and can`t be quite as careless about it as the rest of us. No biggie IMO. If rw3829 wants to take it back and see if the others they have work differently, OK, but I wouldn`t assume there`s anything "wrong" just because an seemingly unimportant feature works differently.

PC + Patience = Reward!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys...sorry for opening a can or worms about this...lol! I did further review today at Lowes. They allowed me to open one up and test it...did the same thing. My PC works great when either on or between 1 through 5, and kicks in again when directly on 6, just not between. When I try it between 5-6 it acts as though I am trying to run 110 volt current to a 220 device...LOL! No 5.5 setting here...Thanks again guys for all the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information