Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    so is there such thing as too slick a surface? With all the wax i have on the Cam, i cant seem to get it really dry easily unless i use compressed air. When i use the towels it just smears and beads up? Any one else have this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Slick is good.......... slicker the better! What kind of towels are you using to dry?
    D.C.T.

Don't ever drop your clay kartoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too slick can be bad: new coat of wax will slide off

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by randomman84

so is there such thing as too slick a surface? With all the wax i have on the Cam, i cant seem to get it really dry easily unless i use compressed air. When i use the towels it just smears and beads up? Any one else have this problem?

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. Using most LSP`s, the beads just stay on the surface and kinda get pushed around instead of being absorbed. I do not have this problem with Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Klasse, or P21S/S100.

Hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like
    I have UPP x2 + PG x2 on my car and it is very slick. I do not have a problem using one large drying towel and immediately following with a smaller towel.

Are you going over the car with a full stream of water before drying? Doing so will sheet the majority of water off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love UPP for the slickness, and I can`t do the "sheet with the hose" because of my boosted water pressure. But I have *no* trouble drying the S8. IMO it`s all about the absorbency of your towels. When you blot you don`t really push the water around much anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Towels have fabric softener in them?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have any problems either...with AIO + UPPx3 + Paste Glaz x2.

I agree with the others about sheeting the water off first. Most of the water will sheet right off, leaving relatively little to be dried off. I also think that most towels work better when they are slightly damp. Does this problem only happen to you when the towels are completely dry?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

That is what it sounds like to me too. I learned real quick how much fabric softner affects your drying towels.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    This may also happen if you are using or have used a car wash with wax in it. The wax may be affecting the towel if you haven`t cleaned it recently. This sometimes happens to me when I use QEW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

Or maybe just not clean enough. After some smearing I presoaked with dishwashing liquid and scrubbed---->no more smears.

Post Thanks / Like
    i hope to god there is no fabric softener on my ww. that would ruin their effectiveness wouldnt it? ill try the damp towel idea and see where that leads. Thanx and keep em coming!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

I love UPP for the slickness, and I can`t do the "sheet with the hose" because of my boosted water pressure. But I have *no* trouble drying the S8. IMO it`s all about the absorbency of your towels. When you blot you don`t really push the water around much anyhow.
    :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

This is the best way to break the high surafce tension that I think is the problem (I would also check the towels and rinse them in vinegar, which will remove any soap/detergent residue and release the towels fibres)

FWIW- I also think blotting with a towel is a better way to dry the surface and avoid marring

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Morgan, one thing that help is to run your washing machine through the rinse cycle once before washing your mf towels. That will help to remove any lingering fabric softeners or detergents.

Poorboy uses APC inside his machine before washing his mf towels. I don`t go that far everytime, but do clean the inside every few months.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    thanx. im gonna go put my ww and mfs through some vinager and wash the machine and wash them again with some charlie soap and ill make sure there isnt any softener in there. Thanx and i try the blotting procedure and it only seems to work every now and then. BTW, Todd, the car is swirled to hell. Gotta either get over there at some point or get myself a pc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information