Post Thanks / Like
    Can you apply protectant to belts under the hood? I was considering Gummipflege for this...would that be a good product for it? It works great on my weatherstripping to keep it supple.

Is this a bad idea altogether?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I say yes, I actually use a spray that is designed to "detail" the engine, and they state that it is OK to spray on everything except the alternator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way back in the day of V-belts, I used some belt dressing once to quiet a squeaky belt. By the end of the day, it had stretched just enough, that it was not being turned by the crank and my alternator ceased to be the charging system. Needless to say, I made it home in the dark with NO lights whatsoever. Now in the days of serpentine belts and tension pulleys, if the belt stretched because of dressing and heat, it would stay tight. However, my assumption would be that the more the belt stretches, the weaker it gets, and since one belt runs everything, if the belt snapped, you`d lose everything. Another point: V-belts only made contact with the pulleys on the bottom, or V side. Serp belts use both sides. I would be afraid of the dressing causing slippage and building up heat.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what got me thinking was an excerpt from the Autopia Guide to Detailing CD...

"Belts and Hoses - Winter is very hard on belts and hoses. The cold, salt, and dirt make rubber hard and brittle, so it`s a good idea to check your belts and hoses every spring. I suggest cleaning your engine each spring to remove winter`s grunge. After cleaning, treat all hoses, belts and other rubber parts with a generous helping of rubber dressing."
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there are products made specifically for drive belts.

I would only use those,

unless you know for sure that what you are using is safe for the belts.

bad things can happen if your belts go bad..

but now if its just something like an ac or power steering belt.. its no big deal..

but for goodness sake, dont MESS with your timing belt!!!
    -Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tad

but for goodness sake, dont MESS with your timing belt!!!

No need to worry about that. Maximas have timing chains, not belts, and I would have to take apart the timing chain housing to access the chain. No need for that.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used any belt dressing in at least 15 years (since I got a car with a serpentine belt). And that dressing was supposed to make the belt grip better (really for V-belts). My inclination would not to use any kind of appearance dressing which might cause the belt to slip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it was mentioned on the CD for the purpose of protecting the rubber to avoid cracking.

I suppose I would be just as well to replace the belt every couple years instead of attempting to preserve it.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

I suppose I would be just as well to replace the belt every couple years instead of attempting to preserve it.

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

I haven`t used any belt dressing in at least 15 years..

I`ve never treated a belt with anything except "belt anti-slip", and I`ve only needed that a few times. FWIW, I`ve had *two* belt failures in almost 30 years. Considering the dozens of cars I`ve had, I can live with that failure rate. And one of those belts was on a car I`d just bought used, the other one was on a car I hadn`t been checking the way I should have.

I have wiped off some really grungy belts with rubber cleaner though, it helps see what condition they`re in. I try to check such stuff every time I wash (easy to do while cleaning the engine compartment).

But I sure wouldn`t put a slippery dressing on anything that relies on friction to do its job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

I`ve never treated a belt with anything except "belt anti-slip", and I`ve only needed that a few times.

Yeah, that`s what I meant...I found that most belt problems were due to belt condition or fit (auto parts stores not stocking the *exact* belt...and giving you an acceptable alternate size...this is standard practice to "bracket" so as not to have to stock 1000 different sizes). However, I hate tightening v-belts....nothing like those serpentines with the tensioner...a breaker bar in the square and poof! belt change.

Back on topic...and as Accumulator said, if you HAVE to dress the belt for appearance...make sure it`s not something excessively slippery and buff off any excess...that`s my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    DOn`t put anything like that on belts. If you have to do it on the outside not where the teeth are that touches the pulleys. I know they make special stuff for it. I bet you Wurth makes it. I`ll ask some people tomorrow and will post.

I feel it`s like when you put rubber protectant on a motorcycle tire. CRASH!!
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Back on topic...and as Accumulator said, if you HAVE to dress the belt for appearance...make sure it`s not something excessively slippery and buff off any excess...that`s my two cents.

I was only considering this as a way to protect the belts and prevent them from cracking, not as an appearance issue.

I had never thought to do it before, but like I said, it was mentioned on the Autopia CD, which is what got me wondering about it.

I`m just going to leave the belt alone. I`ll just continue to inspect the belts and hoses when I detail my engine bay every month or so.
    Paul...

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I`ve ever done to belts is to use a rubber cleaner, dressings I don`t find necessary even for concourse type vehicles all they do is hide problems IMO
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always just sprayed down everything with AA or WD$) and my belt on the jeep went 120,000+ in good condishtion. I never has slipage issues or anything like tha Infact with colse to 200,000 i haven`t replaced a hose yet either.

Thread Information