Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys, this has probably been asked and answered a million times, but I just can`t remember...

Does DACP contain fillers? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope no fillers, all polish with diminishing abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

Nope no fillers, all polish with diminishing abrasives.

But doesn`t the polish (oils) so some filling?

Post Thanks / Like
    The oils that are in #83 are intended for surface lubrication and reconditioning and are not like fillers that would be found in something like a glaze. So I guess I answered the question wrong, yes there are oils/fillers, but nothing that will stay. Most people follow behind #83 with *something* which will usually remove the oils left behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys! :up

Post Thanks / Like

The oils that are in #83 are intended for surface lubrication and reconditioning and are not like fillers that would be found in something like a glaze. So I guess I answered the question wrong, yes there are oils/fillers, but nothing that will stay. Most people follow behind #83 with *something* which will usually remove the oils left behind.

I`m going to have to disagree with this. DACP does contain fillers. It will fill in swirls as well as physically remove them. This is why I use alcohol/ water to remove the DACP. This way I can monitor if I have actually removed the defects and not filled them. When you use DACP what you see is not what you get.

If you are looking for non filling compounds/polishes try Menzerna and 3M. I use these and what you see is what you get. No need for alcohol/water to remove fillers and monitor my progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I`m a little confused. Are the oils that are in some polishes like DACP and others the same as the fillers that would be in a glaze?

Also, not all 3M polishes are filler free. The RC`s are, but the PI II SMR`s do have some fillers. Using those as an example, are the fillers the same as the oils in #83?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.........I guess I`ll get out the alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never noticed any filling qualities of #83, but I`m by no means the last word on the subject. I never thought about it, because I always finish #83 with Menzerna FP, making the question moot.

But, if there were fillers you would never see the micromarring that you get when you stop polishing too soon or to late with #83.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mosca

But, if there were fillers you would never see the micromarring that you get when you stop polishing too soon or to late with #83.

Tom

Not true. 3M SMR is loaded with fillers and I have put micromarring in using this by hand. This happened the first time I used it because I didn`t work it long enough to fully break down the abrasives in it.

Also over work #9 with a PC and you will get micromarring and #9 is also loaded with fillers.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I`m a little confused. Are the oils that are in some polishes like DACP and others the same as the fillers that would be in a glaze?

Also, not all 3M polishes are filler free. The RC`s are, but the PI II SMR`s do have some fillers. Using those as an example, are the fillers the same as the oils in #83?

Dookie,

I don`t know if the oils are the same in DACP as the fillers that would be in a glaze. When I say fillers I mean product that is left behind after buffing that fills in swirls and makes them less noticeable. Some products obviously contain more than others. DACP contains them. I have used alcohol/water and seen defects re-appear that I thought I had removed. This is one of the reasons I stopped using Megs DACP.

As for the 3M products, I was referring to Perfect It III RC and MG, Finesse It II Machine Polish, and Perfect It II FC RC. The Perfect It II SMR`s are full of fillers.

Post Thanks / Like
    just some thoughts to get things rollin`:

DACP is usually taken off when still wet. When you take something off wet, with an MF, you will be more than likely leaving something there on the finish and filling swirls and defects with whatever filler or oils.

with 3M and others that like to be worked until dry and dusts, it is more than likely that nothing is left behind when you wipe with your MF. its all gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by steck

just some thoughts to get things rollin`:

DACP is usually taken off when still wet. When you take something off wet, with an MF, you will be more than likely leaving something there on the finish and filling swirls and defects with whatever filler or oils.

with 3M and others that like to be worked until dry and dusts, it is more than likely that nothing is left behind when you wipe with your MF. its all gone!

I don`t work 3M or any compound/polish until dry or it dusts. I always stop working it before that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll ask Mike. I think I can visualize what it is you "don`t see", then see after an IP wipe; I think I just ignore it, because I`m going to use something else next anyhow. I use 83 to get close, then Menzerna IP or FP to finish, so I`m blowing through whatever oils are there regardless.

Tom

Thread Information