Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,,

I own MK4 Golf and my the plastic cover of my instrument cluster is full of scratches... Probaply the reason for this is because i use to clean it with a MF cloth....maybe...

I recently bought the Meguiar`s PlastX which is supposed to clean and remove scratches from clear plastics. I apply it using a pad but the result is not what i am expecting..

The scratches are not reduced and on top of that it takes a long time for the solvent to dry and be cleaned.

Am i doing something wrong? Can i use something else?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiping the plastic with a MF should not scratch it unless you`re using a crappy MF or a dirty one.

I have a lot of scratches on my cluster too, but all I`ve tried on it was Meg`s Plastic Detailer and that stuff sucks. It didn`t do anything after like 4 applications. I have some Mothers Plastic Polish now...I`ll have to try it again with that stuff.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    This is old I know, but I figured its not too old to give you something to think about. Ok, when I use the plasticX I work it in till its pretty clear, and on something like your cluster, use light pressure and a foam pad. Work it till its clear, it doesn`t have to dry, I never let it, just work it in till its clear then wipe it off. You may have to do it a few times especially if the scratches are deep.

95Max: The plastic detailer is for use after you use the plasticX, that is most likely why you didn`t like it. As a stand alone product it won`t really do anything except clean.
    If other drivers don`t swerve when they see the shine of your car, your not done yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by globemast

The scratches are not reduced and on top of that it takes a long time for the solvent to dry and be cleaned.

Am i doing something wrong? Can i use something else?

Thank you.

Plastx is not a wipe on, let dry, wipe off product. It has diminishing abrasives in it and needs to be worked. Apply it, work it in untill almost gone then buff off. You probably will have to repeat the process several times if the scratches are severe and even then you might not remove them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been using MOTHERS plastic polish and it has given me excellent results.
    RENAULT - YUP! That`s my Name!!!

2005 Subaru Imprezza STi

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by q_tip98444

Ok, when I use the plasticX I work it in till its pretty clear, and on something like your cluster, use light pressure and a foam pad. Work it till its clear, it doesn`t have to dry, I never let it, just work it in till its clear then wipe it off. You may have to do it a few times especially if the scratches are deep.

This sounds like very good advice. It`s the cleaning and polishing action that you are looking for from this type of product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it a while ago on the plastic face of my stereo and it sratched the h*ll out of it. Worked it in really well too but still scratched it. Terrible product in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used it on tail lights, headlights, turn signals etc with great results. I apply with a soft cloth or sponge applicator and gently rub until it`s almost completely gone. Then I follow up with a QD. Has restored the life of many lifeless plastics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used ScratchX to remove a scratch in my old eyeglasses and it worked very well. It left no scratches at all in the plastic lenses. I used a foam pad to remove the scratch. The lenses looked like new again after this treatment.

I have also used this product on headlight lenses and faded tail lights with excellent results.

Post Thanks / Like
    1st. Always test a product in an inconspicous area. There are many different plastics out there and some are very very soft.

2nd. Use a small amount of product, a very clean pad and work in small areas. Makes sure you work the product for well so that that abrasive deminish and produce a haze free result as the polish keeps getting finer and finer.

NOTE: Make sure not to add additional polish as it thins out!!! Make you work it till it practically disappears, clean and wipe. Start over again if need be. If you introduce more polish before the other one has completely broken down, you`ll haze the plastic.

I personally haven`t had a lot of success with radio displays. As for the Speed cluster, it`s been hit or miss in being able to fix it.

Lights are pretty easy to polish out as the plastic tends to be hard and takes wetsanding and heavy polishing well.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Thread Information