Post Thanks / Like
    I have washed, clayed, polish (DACP and Meguiar #9), Klasse AIO, and now I am appling P21S wax. Before applying the wax my black paint had not swirls at all

I applied the first coat of wax with my PC set a 3 with the finishing pad, and this morning when I took my car out of the garage I noticed under the sun that there were very very light swirls, I guess they were created by using the PC, or maybe because I should have set the PC at a much lower speed.

So, I have a couple questions:

Do you use the PC to apply the wax? if so, at what speed do you use it? Should I apply the second coat by hand instead? Will the second coat cover the very very ight swirls created by the finishing pad?

Thank you in advance,

Post Thanks / Like
    Applying P21S Wax with a PC and a finishing pad @3 should not cause swirls. Their is something wrong with your process. Maybe a dirty pad. What did you remove the wax with? Was the car clean? I would take a look at my process and try to find out where I went wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not use a PC to apply a paste wax but do use a PC to apply everything up to the wax (polish, AIO, SG). I do, however, use a PC and MF towels/bonnets to remove the wax. SG is applied at speed 1 and it along with the wax(es) are removed on speed 3 or 4.

As long as you use a clean finishing pad on a clean surface, you should not have a problem with swirling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have great luck applying my topcoat wax by PC. I simply rub it on a fine foam pad an go to town. I find that I can apply a coat to my Cayenne in about 10 minutes, and buff off in about the same. With final wipe down, the whole process takes about 30 minutes. I`d never get it done that fast by hand.

I have a dedicated foam applicator for my favorite wax. When I`m finished I put it back in a Ziplok baggie for the next use. This saves wax and wear & tear on the pad.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your replies. It seems that the jury is divided between using & not using a PC to apply wax.

I am most impressed with David`s speed to apply wax. I definitively need to work on my technique. It took me well over 4 hours to apply & remove the wax in my car!

How long are you supposed to rub the wax in a 2x2 area?

How many imaginary sub-panels do you create in your hood? I created 5; meaning I wax 1/5 of the hood, then remove wax, then move to the next 2/5 panel, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont feel that you need to create subpanels when waxing, i sometimes use 26, a paste wax, as a topper and apply it to pad w/ a plastic knife, spread around on pad, go over a panel or two(hood, roof) then go back over w/ mf towel to remove. As to how long to work it in, not a whole lot, maybe 2 passes w/ the pc at speed 3.5 or so. Works great, doesnt take much time at all. I havent used p21s by pc, only by hand, but i know it needs to be removed before drying, so maybe do one panel at a time and then remove.
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Thread Information