Post Thanks / Like
    Rerfer to this thread about the original story:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=45029

Yea so, you wont believe this.

Last night I finally got ahold of the owner after leaving him a message 2 days earlier. He refuses to give me my money back. We get in this huge argument, and he thinks he knows everything cause hes 42. Guess what he told me they were going to use to fix my swirl marks, it was a kind of wax they were getting in the day or two. I go "Wax?! You think you can just hide the problems? No wax will take out swirl marks, its gonna need an abrasive polish or a compound! " Him "Oh ok, you are the pro here, everything you say is right"

So hes getting all mad cause im shooting him down on everything, and he says he knows more than me cause im younger than him and he knows whats best for my car. He said the best he`d do is half the money back cause he has to pay the detailer his share.

Finally 10 mins later he just cracks and goes "Fine! I`ll refund all your ****ing money back!" And hangs up on me. He actually said that and hung up on me. IS HE SUICIDAL? I told him 5 days earlier, if it all went well, I got 3 friends looking to get their cars detailed for the winter, and id send them buy if I liked the detail job. So there goes like $500 in business total (including mine), cause he treated me like I wasnt even a customer.

I mean cmon, we`re talking about $130 in service here and he thinks he can just go and blow up at me because im young. No business owner or manager should ever blow up at a customer and treat them like sh!t. Its just common sense. So yea, I stopped by today, and they are sending out a check. His employee there was defending what he told me (he wasnt there), and saying I was wrong for asking for a refund. She said he had every right to get mad at me cause im saying I know more than him (which i never said directly) and im 17 (yes, can you believe it). So I go "Oh, age descrimination huh? Im sure the BBB would love to hear about that. I dont care how old a customer is, you treat them the same way, with respect. No customer should have to deal with a business owner hanging up on them!" .

So yea, I walked out of there laughing cause they are really unaware of how this will affect their reputation. Anyone with feedback on this? Did I do the right thing? Well, I should have the check for the money in a week, and my PC 7424 will be here in a couple days. Cant wait to use that with my freshly purchased 3M Perfect-it III MG!

Oh btw, here is their information:

Classic Auto Spa & Detail Center

8600 Egan Drive

Savage, MN 55378

So AVOID this place for anyone that lives in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    #1 Check if the money goes through. If he acts so childish then he deserves to lose the money. Age wasn`t the importance here, he was inexperienced. If you can`t backup your work you deserve to lose all profit. He didn`t satisfy you at all and made the work worse.

If I was in your position I would not care and keep asking why his processes were right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got your money back so you can do it yourself, the right way. There are so many detail/body shops out to just make money, and they dont take the time to really do the job the right way the first time. It is sad but true, sorry to hear of your ordeal. More often than not the only way to do it right is to do it yourself.
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    File a complaint with the BBB if he`s a member. He thinks you`re young so you won`t do anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are under 18, then you can claim that he took advantage of your inexperience and induced you to enter a contract. You are technically not eligible to contract for services until you are 18... even something like auto repairs. We have been issued several legal bulletins on this, including specifically repairs. The service writers have been advised to have an adult authorize all ROs to minors.

A person can be ANY age to purchase and own a car; a 5 year old can hold the title to a car. BUT. If I were to sell a car to a 16 year old, that person can come back any time before turning 18 with a blown motor, for example, and claim that I took advantage and receive a full refund.

The law is there for you to use; use it. It`s QUITE possible that they did a lousy job BECAUSE you are only 17, figuring they could get away with it.

(edit) bluec, also, I say this with no offense intended, but: Remember folks, we are hearing only one side of this story. It`s OK to sympathize, but not OK to rush to judgement. This is the internet, where everything looks true. The law says you can get your money back, bluec, even if the detail job was PERFECT.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mosca

If you are under 18, then you can claim that he took advantage of your inexperience and induced you to enter a contract. You are technically not eligible to contract for services until you are 18... even something like auto repairs. We have been issued several legal bulletins on this, including specifically repairs. The service writers have been advised to have an adult authorize all ROs to minors.

A person can be ANY age to purchase and own a car; a 5 year old can hold the title to a car. BUT. If I were to sell a car to a 16 year old, that person can come back any time before turning 18 with a blown motor, for example, and claim that I took advantage and receive a full refund.

The law is there for you to use; use it. It`s QUITE possible that they did a lousy job BECAUSE you are only 17, figuring they could get away with it.

(edit) bluec, also, I say this with no offense intended, but: Remember folks, we are hearing only one side of this story. It`s OK to sympathize, but not OK to rush to judgement. This is the internet, where everything looks true. The law says you can get your money back, bluec, even if the detail job was PERFECT.

Tom
    Well im getting the money back anways, but the detailer himself, admitted fault. So I dont need the law to get my money back. And to be honest, id never use something like that to get a free detail.

I had a feeling that they`d try something like that thinking I know nothing. Thats why he probably got mad. All I know is, he`ll remember this for awhile, cause hes out of some cash now that easily could have been prevented.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s cool. And I didn`t mean to imply that you`d try to get your money back if the work was acceptable. 17`s an age where some people are capable of handling themselves, and some are not; that`s why the laws are there. Nice to see that you`re one of the former.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bluec

All I know is, he`ll remember this for awhile, cause hes out of some cash now that easily could have been prevented.

if you really want to make sure he remembers, file a complaint letter with the BBB. :xyxthumbs
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hirosh

if you really want to make sure he remembers, file a complaint letter with the BBB. :xyxthumbs
    Oh dont worry, Once I get the check i`ll be sure to do that. I couldnt beleive this woman was backing him up too! She even told me theyve only been around a few years. Hah, thats gonna really help their reputation diminish. I hate being descriminated against my age when I go anywhere automotive. Seems I always run into pricks thinking they can fool me, then they get mad when I shoot them down with the stuff they thought I didnt know. Funny huh.

Post Thanks / Like
    The way you were treated is terrible. I think the main problem was you have some knowledge of detailing and he got mad because he couldn`t BS you.

About 7-8 years ago, I detailed a truck for an 18-year-old and it never crossed my mind to try and cut corners on the work. He now has a large lawnmowing business and I still detail his vehicles once or twice a year. Young people grow up and become successful. I`d be a fool to jeopardize a long term business relationship to take advantage of a young customer.

That detailer forgot a very important fact. A happy customers tells 3-5 people. An unhappy customer tells many, many more.

Who do you want talking about you?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone with feedback on this? Did I do the right thing?

Yes, you did do the right thing, except the part where you took the car to them in the first place!

Its pretty amazing the way some small business owners act towards customers. Im amazed they have customers at all. It looks like he thought he could take advantage of you because of your age. Little did he know he was dealing with an Autopian. You probably hurt his pride pretty badly (good job :xyxthumbs).

Enjoy the PC and maybe you can do your friends cars too and make some money back--and take business away from him in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, besides the fact that the job was bid too cheap, the detailer had no idea how to fix the problem. In your position I would do everything in my power to legally make his life miserable, as mentioned earlier, a letter to the BBB would be a great start.
    2001 "Victory Red" Chevrolet S-10 (Daily Driver)

1989 "Guards Red" Mazda RX-7 Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I still cant believe how I was treated. The whole time I was there arguing with this woman, the detailer was making sure I wasnt mad at him. Honestly I wasnt either, He was only able to do the best job in that allowed time, and the owner probably told him to cut corners. He was only doing his job, I know how it is in those situations. He was cool about it though, he was actually taking part of my side about how I was treated, but he was trying to be quiet (im sure he didnt want to lose his job).

So yea, funny how it works out. Ill be sure to write a letter to the BBB, cause this is a good example how it can be tough for people my age. Im just glad I have a good chunk of experience and knowledge of working on cars (both mechanical and collision/detail). Ive had the same problem with dealerships unfortunatly.

Thread Information