Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I just tried to use #9 to get rid of my wirls by hand, didn`t do a thing. Now I"m going to buy a PC, so a few quick questions.

The 7336 only comes with one pad, so can/should I buy pads from lowes? Or go to a body supply shop and look for Meg`s pads and which ones?

Do I need to buy backplates? Should lowes be able to help me out?

Last thing, should I buy #83, since #9 couldn`t do a thing on my swirls. It did a little on my hood, but my trunk was too bad I guess.

Thanks, wouldn`t dare leave the house and buy stuff without the assistance of you autopians!

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, you`ll never see that same results by hand as you will by PC so if you are buying a PC just forget what happened to you thus far. As far as the backing plate and pads, I don`t know if you will be able to find the ones we all use locally. The Sonus pads sold by Autopia here: Sonus Das Pad Kit will get you started correctly, and it comes with everything you need including a backingplate.

I would highly suggest #83 for your application. Swirls are hard to remove and DACP will be the one for the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    THis thread would be a good starting place:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...itive+AND+pads

I was just looking at pads myself and have decided to give the Sonus pads available through Autopia a try. Check out the link to the thread and the learn and shop links at the top of the page.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    id go to a body shop to get meguiars pads... as far as the backing plate.. i dont remember which one it comes with, but i ended up buying a different one, so you`ll prob have to as well.. i doubt lowes would be able to help you out... prob the body shop... um.. i havent tried 83 but i have heard great things about it, and its on my list of things to buy... so u should probably get some...

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I will have to just wait then and order that set. I was so ready to detail today to :/

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand how excited you must be, but detailing is very slow process. Patience is key to a good detail. If you order today, it will probably ship out Monday and you should have it by Wed. or Thurs. at the latest, depending on which form of shipping you choose. Don`t forget to download the Autopia Ebook in my signature panel and there is a coupon inside to get 10% off your order. :up (after you register of course)

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m at it, should I order extra pads? Because the kit only comes with 7 different ones, do I need more then 1 of a certain pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add on to what JDookie just posted which is excellent advice, IF you decide on the Sonus pads use the coupon code `SONUS` to get 15% off the price of the pads!

Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably get at least two each of the main polishing pads. Use the search function to check out previous discussions on the number and types of pads to use.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dailo

While I`m at it, should I order extra pads? Because the kit only comes with 7 different ones, do I need more then 1 of a certain pad?

I would if I were you, but it`s up to you. I use cutting pads and polishing pads the most. I don`t think I`ve used my finishing pad more than once. This all depends on how you are going to use them. Are you going to start detailing professionaly or just for your personal cars? Just keep in mind, it`s a very good idea to have a separate pad for each product and compounds can clog up a pad very quickly. You don`t want to use a pad for finish polishing after it`s been used for compounding. Just think about how you are going to detail your car and order accordingly. I`d say 3 cutting pads, 3 polishing pad, and 1 finishing pad should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are only 4 different pads in the kit, orange, green, blue, and black. I`d go with a total of 2 orange, 2 green, 2 blue, and one black. That should start you off nice. I was thinking there was only 3 different pads, that`s why I said 3 of each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    hehehehe..... I`m placing an order for some Sonus pads as I read this thread!

Good luck with the PC! :xyxthumbs
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    There goes another 200 some buxs, I`m up to 400 now I think. Hopefully I can get all the swirl marks out of my moms benz!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t worry, you will. Just a few weeks ago, I got all the scratches and swirl marks out of MY mom`s black E430. Use #83 DACP with the orange cutting pad on setting 5 and slowly work the entire car. This should pretty much remove all of the defects, if you take your time and don`t rush it. After that, it`s just polish, polish and more polish......gravy baby, gravy!:xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information