Post Thanks / Like
    I needed something to clean around logos and lights and that sort of thing. Will a soft tooth brush be the right thing to use (i dont want any scratches)?

And also; I dont really need to make another topic on this, but have any of you tryed Eagle One Nano Wax yet? I just used it and it worked good, but i have to see my car when its sunny (its cloundy today) to see if it covered up the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gt_biker13

I needed something to clean around logos and lights and that sort of thing. Will a soft tooth brush be the right thing to use (i dont want any scratches)?

And also; I dont really need to make another topic on this, but have any of you tryed Eagle One Nano Wax yet? I just used it and it worked good, but i have to see my car when its sunny (its cloundy today) to see if it covered up the swirls.

I`ve used a very soft bristle toothbrush when cleaning around logos and have not had any problems with it. I know a high end detailer in town here uses a very soft bristle paint brush to dust around emblems.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The brush will likely leave marks, but maybe only in the wax/sealant.

Try the CD test. If the brush will leave a trail on the CD, it will harm the paint, also.

JIm
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    NO............go to a auto store(or online) and see if you can get a horsehair detail brush.This will do what you want it to without scratching the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    :scared Nooooooo!!!! It is Nylon and even a soft toothbrush is quite stiff. You need to get a natural bristle (usually squirrel) brush which will "usually" be safer. Always do the CD test.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

This is the answer once given to me, “A toothbrush is for teeth, so don’t use a horse hair detailing brush for your teeth and don’t use a tooth brush…etc, etc

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The toothbrush thing used to be common advice, but here`s another vote for "NO". Some paint *is* so hard that the softest toothbrushes won`t mar it, but that`s pretty rare. Even a horse/boar`s hair brush will usually mar any of *my* vehicles` paint when used dry. There used to be super soft, flagged bristle brushes made of a weird type of plastic that worked well, but those have been off the market for years.

I`d use a combination of cotton swabs and toothpicks/sharpened swab sticks- pull some of the cotton off the swab (or use a cotton ball such as women use for makeup) and then use the point of the toothpick to gently work it around whatever you`re tidying up. Some QD can help with this too. You can also use this method to *apply* product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. I have a Cadillac CTS and I am getting wax in some of the corners particularly around the back window. I was contemplating using a toothbrush to get it out. Would one of those detailing brushes do the trick, Are they stiff enough to get dried wax out?

ALSO- What is the "CD" Test

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by nycts

[B]Would one of those detailing brushes do the trick, Are they stiff enough to get dried wax out?...ALSO- What is the "CD" Test?

The brushes in question come in varying stiffnesses. They`re available from all sorts of places (TOL, Griot`s, Eastwood, etc.) so get a few and see what you think. IMO some are stiff enough but others aren`t. The ones that are might mar the rubber around the windows, so be careful. I`d probably still just use cotton/MF and/or a stick as described above. I can`t remember the last time I used a brush for this, on *any* surface except maybe tires.

Another option is to buy a soft, natural bristle paint brush and cut the bristles down to make them effectively stiffer (but tape the metal ferule so it doesn`t scratch something).

The "CD test" is rubbing [whatever material] against the shiny surface of a CD/CDR and then inspecting for marring. Since the CD is softer than automotive paint, if it does *not* scratch/mar the CD it`s safe for use on cars. If it *does* scratch it, it may or may not be safe to use on cars...but many people say that if it scratches a CD it can`t touch *their* car (erring on the side of caution and all that).

Post Thanks / Like
    Another tip I can give you is go to a place that sells makeup they have all these brushes that women use to put on makeup and they are soft but expensive.They sell a lot of detailing products if you look around.I also use long cotton sticks and pointy toothpicks.I also use a horsehair brush and to clean all the plates and hard to get places and NO it doesn`t scratch(at least the one I use)

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy the cheap (50 cents) throway pain brushes at hardware stor. I cut off the bristles so there is only 3/4 inch left. Wrap the metal part (ferrule?) in duct tape to prevent accidents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by nycts

Great post. I have a Cadillac CTS and I am getting wax in some of the corners particularly around the back window. I was contemplating using a toothbrush to get it out. Would one of those detailing brushes do the trick, Are they stiff enough to get dried wax out?

ALSO- What is the "CD" Test

Now you have a use for all of those AOL CDs that show up in your mail box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALAN81

Another tip I can give you is go to a place that sells makeup they have all these brushes that women use to put on makeup and they are soft but expensive..I also use a horsehair brush and to clean all the plates and hard to get places and NO it doesn`t scratch(at least the one I use)

Great suggestion about the makeup brushes :xyxthumbs and Yeah, horse/boar`s hair brushes work great for cleaning nooks and crannies (like doorjambs and inside fuel fillers). As long as they`re good and wet and you`re careful it shouldn`t mar the finish. FWIW, I still use a BHB to wash some of our vehicles and it doesn`t mar them, at least not any more than other normal washing would.

Thread Information