Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The trunk on my dad 1995 red acura is really faded or oxidized. Is there a difference? Anyways how can I restore its color with a product I can buy locally at pep boys or autozone. It doesnt have to be the best product just something that works. He isnt a car fanatic like us.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures would help. You sure it is oxidation and not clear coat failing?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m not even sure if it has clear coat. I cant take picture of it yet. how would i know if the clear coat is failing? It just looks a lot more dull then the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize that you wanted something locally available, but I thought I`d throw out AIO as a suggestion. Not locally available, but great on oxidation. Check this thread out: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=23482. I don`t have any local products to suggest because I`d always turn to AIO in this case and haven`t tried anything else.

John
    2008 Subaru Outback - Obsidian Black Pearl

1997 Acura Integra - Adriatic Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually have aio but didnt think it would be near powerful enough. I will give it a shot. I see comercials for stuff like nufinish and other stuff supposed to restore color. Ill try aio first.

Post Thanks / Like
    nufinish is supposed to ruin plastic trim so I would stay away from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad isnt picky like me so If I can just improve it he will be happy. Its only like 1 foot by 3 foot area and I can stay away from any trim

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO is strong enough. Trust me. If it can do this then it can handle whatever you need it to do. I`ve worked on older cars than 8 years old with oxidation. I`ve seen AIO strip 10 years of oxidation off cars before.

Those are both different vehicles, but both had over 10 years of neglect to deal with and I only used AIO to get those results. Break out the AIO and tell me its not strong enough after you have used it. Don`t underestimate what it is capable of.

Also, if its only a 1 foot by 3 foot area then its probably not oxidation. Sounds like clear coat failure to me. This wouldn`t happen to be on the hood or roof or trunk, would it?
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok i will try the aio since I have some. can I do it by hand? How long would you leave it on before removing? What do you use to apply? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the directions on the bottle. You just apply it and remove it. It can be done by hand, but I would recomend using a machine. You are going to get a serious shoulder workout if you do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have left it on in the past and it was a workout. The problem with following the bottle is I dont have the bottle, lol. Me and my ex girl friend shared so I have it in a plastic container not the original bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Also, if its only a 1 foot by 3 foot area then its probably not oxidation. Sounds like clear coat failure to me. This wouldn`t happen to be on the hood or roof or trunk, would it?

Post Thanks / Like
    its on the whole top of the trunk. The measurements were just a guess. it just looks to be faded to me. In fact i dont think this solid red even has clear coat. Ill try aio this weekend and pray it works for him

Post Thanks / Like
    I second AIO. I used it on a red Ford Tempo back in the fall of `03 with serious oxidation, and with a little elbow grease, and a light dampened microfiber app. pad, I had one happy customer.:xyxthumbs
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    did you let it dry on the ford for awhile or just rub it on and right off?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information