Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used a sponge to wash my car but have noticed that nearly all the US posters seem to use a washmitt,maybe its a cultural thing but I am pretty sure most of us Brits use sponges.

I have been using a sponge called a microcell made by Decosol for several Years,on a rolling system when I get a new one the old one is relegated to cleaning the lower half of the car.

If a washmitt is better I am willing to change,all the ones in stores over here (Halfords) seem to be synthetic,but I can get a sheepskin one over the net, Groits ect.

Any thoughts for or against?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t speak for the cultural differences but mitts do have a practical advantage. The pile or nap of the mitt can hold a large amount of car wash solution which makes for quicker washing of large vehicles. And the thickness of the nap holds small pieces of grit much better than a sponge so swirl marks and micromarring can be minimized.

But a sponge is the tool of choice when cleaning a fabric cabrio top or fabric (Webasto) sunroof. A mitt would leave the roof covered in lint or fibers.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr C -- I switched after becoming a devotee of this site; lambskin and the two bucket method will minimize the "damage" due to a wash

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use the same microcell sponge too.....then I found autopia

Check out 7th message down this page http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=2

It takes a bit of getting used to, using a mit instead of a sponge, but its worth it. I wouldn`t bother with the halfords ones, I looked at them and you can see the backing way too easily :down . I won`t go back to a sponge again for the paintwork, even though those sponges are good.
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Wash mitt Vs Sponge

~One man’s opinion~

I reasonably sure it’s not a cultural thing, :nono

I’ve been using a natural sheepskin mitt for years, both at home (London) and here in Florida for all the same reasons bretfraz states. :xyxthumbs

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cultural? maybe at one time but there are clear advantages to the mitts ie they dont scratch as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also perfer using a sheepskin washmitt for similar reasons. They`re easy to keep clean and appear to keep free of dirt particles.

Just a note: I use a new mitt for the cleaner upper areas and then use an older mitt for the lower more dirty areas of the vehicle.

There`s just something about a sponge possibly holding onto those dirt particles more than with a sheepskin mitt.

Just some additional thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s good for the sheep, it`s good for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone here is talking about sheepskin mit, how about MF mit?? Any advantages or disadvantages??
    2004 black Acura MDX

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a MF mitt and love it. I have no marring at all and I wash 3 times a week. Some complaints I have heard about MF mitts are that they don`t release dirt well. I don`t find this to be true, my mitt releases dirt well and holds lots of soap and water.

I performed a CD scratch test on a sheep skin mitt, a cotton mitt, a synthetic mitt, and my MF mitt. They all scratched but the sheep skin scratched the most and the MF the least.

I know that you don`t use a dry mitt on the car but the test was usefull to compare how abrassive the different mitts are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

Cultural? maybe at one time but there are clear advantages to the mitts ie they dont scratch as much.

When I am over in the States I notice loads of washmitts for sale but hardly any sponges over here (UK) its the other way round, loads of sponges but few washmitts,so I thought it may be `Cultural`, but I guess were are just way behind the US as always.But I just wanted to check that it was for a bona fide reason rather than just availability/convenience.

I also think its telling that so far no one has posted in favour of sponges.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be the odd-one-out but I prefer a good ol` sea sponge.

Are there any sea sponge fans out there ?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Wash mitt V Sponge

~One man’s opinion~

I used a sea sponge (Pinnicle), a Microfiber wash mitt (Pinnicle) and a sheepskin mitt(Groiots).

Of the three I prefer the natural sheepskin (and I’m sure a synthetic (nylon by-product) may scratch/mar the paint film surface.

The MF mitt I use for the lower portion of vehicles (do a ‘CD test if it doesn’t scratch the CD it probably won’t scratch your paint surface)

The sea sponge has a composition that will allow any grit to betaken up into the open cell structure (unlike a synthetic sponge that is flat and could trap grit allowing it to be pushed over the paint surface with a resulting scratch mark)

I think the point made about US detailers be more advanced with their detailing methods to be valid (with the exception being the UK Autopia contingent)

>Hope this helps<

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a sea sponge once (can`t recall who I bought it from, CMA or Griots or someone). Anyway, I stopped using it after the first wash. I found it to be far too small for washing a car or truck. It was fine for washing a motorcycle or for use around the house. I think I ended up using it to wash floors. But a sea sponge could not IMO compete with a wash mitt.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I will have to do a new thread-Washmitts Sheepskin V Microfibre or Natural v synthetic! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information