Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zaino Sandwich?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a good idea to sandwich Zaino ZFX with Poorboy`s EX? In other words, START off with a few layers of Zaino, then add a few coats of Poorboy`s EX, and put a FINAL COAT of Zaino on top of that? (Zaino + EX + Zaino)

Would this "sandwich" effect keep the layers of Poorboy`s EX intact?

I want to put a few layers of PINNACLE PASTE GLAZ on as a FINAL COAT (Zaino + EX + PPG). But right now I only have Zaino topped with EX. My friend suggested the "sandwich" idea so all of the previous coats will not be removed by the PPG.

Will the Pinnacle Paste Glaz remove the Zaino and EX because it`s an abrasive?

Oh yeah, my friend wants to know if he can "sandwich" Klasse with Poorboy`s EX.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the Pinnacle Paste Glaz remove the Zaino and EX because it`s an abrasive?

Yes

I would just Zaino then add a single (non abrasive, non cleaner wax) topper and leave it at that
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Pinnacle Paste Glaz is not a cleaner wax, so it is a safe Zaino topper.

However, NO NO NO, do *not* top Z with EX. Poorboy`s EX has noticeable cleaning properties and will strip anything you have on the paint. And even if EX were a non-abrasive wax like Paste Glaz, the sandwiching effect won`t work. Waxes (EX and PG) and polymers (Z) don`t mix.

Haven`t you noticed how Zaino`s tight beading is gone after the EX was applied?

Post Thanks / Like
    my bad, I have no experience with PPG. I just assumed it was an abrasive like you said. Just make sure the topper is not abrasive or a chemical cleaner wax
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that the EX removed all of the Zaino? Steve (Poorboy) told me that it bonds well with Zaino.

Now I`m confused. Can someone explain this to me?

Should I just reapply the Zaino and put on a few coats of the Paste Glaz?

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    If Steve has tested EX bonding to Zaino, ask him how it accomplishes this.

Since EX is supposed to be a polymer AND a wax, I find it hard to believe EX will bond to anything let alone Zaino. My guess is that EX has polysilxoane in it and probably some kind of carnauba emulsion, both of which will prevent EX from actually bonding to paint, instead it`ll just sit there like any ol` wax.

Don`t forget that Zaino crosslinks to paint as long as the surface is properly prepped (no oils or fillers to get in the way). This is what provides it`s great durability. There`s certainly no wax in Zaino.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for durability I would not sandwich the Zaino and EX or with anything.

If you are seeking an appearance that meets your needs than top the Zaino with any non-abrasive topper.

The Zaino alone should give you are the depth and wetness you desire if you accomplished this appearance state prior to applying your initial protectant (Zaino). In other words PREP ( polishing ).

EX is non-abrasive and will not remove Zaino upon application but may over time disrupt Zaino`s internal crosslinking and its strong ( gluelike not crosslinked) attachment to the paint.

If durability and a carnuabe-like appearance from your Zaino`d vehicle are also your goals, a wonderful QD by Meguiar`s professional detailing line product called FD ( Final Detail #51 ) will give the same appearance as topping with EX or Glaz.

Do not be afraid to experiment with the ideas you presented here.

We might learn a wonderful new technique. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bimmerman11

Are you saying that the EX removed all of the Zaino? Steve (Poorboy) told me that it bonds well with Zaino.

Now I`m confused. Can someone explain this to me?

Sure!

I`ve experimented with EX enough to conclude that it does remove sealants. I cannot test for any abrasives, but the solvents are certainly powerful enough to strip Zaino.

Yes, you`ll need to reapply the Zaino, and yes, you can then top it with Paste Glaz. I would experiment with Paste Glaz on only one panel of the car, and first check if it makes a noticeable difference. My guess is that the plain-Z panel will be slicker than the wax-topped panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    How have you achieved this result?

Post Thanks / Like
    What can I put on top of the EX? I`m assuming that I should NOT put the Paste Glaz over the EX.

What are some good options? P21S, Liquid Souveran? :nixweiss

My car is Titanium Silver.

I want to place an order as soon as I get some replies.

Thanks guys.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    First check with CMA to see if the Glaz is a "cleaner" wax.

If not just top the EX.

If so, P21S looks great on silver but I doubt it will add any depth to EX over silver. These are the amazing features about EX - wetness and depth. I top my Zaino topped EX silver metallic daily driver with Meguiar`s FD (#51) and this does add a little wetness to silver.

Post Thanks / Like

What can I put on top of the EX? I`m assuming that I should NOT put the Paste Glaz over the EX.

What are some good options? P21S, Liquid Souveran? :nixweiss

My car is Titanium Silver.

I want to place an order as soon as I get some replies.

Thanks guys.

Marc

Reread my post. Paste Glaz is not a cleaner wax. Thus it can be used as a topper over any product.

As far as products to order, the fewer the better. Zaino alone does a great job on silver. I would not "experiment" with products on my first detailing job... it`s more important to get the feel and technique right.

Post Thanks / Like
    BW- are you saying that it`s safe to top EX with Paste Glaz?

I`ve been using Zaino for three years now and it looks too "plasticky" for me. That`s why I added EX on top of the Zaino. Now I just want to add that "wet shiny" look to what I already have.

My friend is insisting that the Paste Glaz will remove the EX and possibly the Zaino (which I put 3 coats on my car in early April).

Thanks for the replies.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

BW- are you saying that it`s safe to top EX with Paste Glaz?

I`ve been using Zaino for three years now and it looks too "plasticky" for me. That`s why I added EX on top of the Zaino. Now I just want to add that "wet" look to what I already have.

My friend is insisting that the Paste Glaz will remove the EX and possibly the Zaino (which I put 3 coats on my car in early April).

Thanks for the replies.

Marc

It`s safe to top EX with Paste Glaz. However, I find it unnecessary, as Paste Glaz alone is equal to or better than EX in durability.

You might want to try topping the Z with Paste Glaz instead. What you did before ¡V EX on top of Zaino ¡V was counterproductive... the solvents in EX removed the Zaino.

Good luck! And nice Bimmer, by the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

Marc

Any chance your friend is confusing Paste Glaze with Creme Glaze? Creme Glaze is a cleaner wax, however Paste Glaze isn`t.

I agree with BW regarding PB`s EX.....it has noticeable cleaning properties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information