Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I would search for a thread but I dont know what to search for...

My question is what products do I use before which...

Obviously Polish then Wax

But what about sealants... what about swirl removers... if I use a swirl remover, do I still need to polish??

HELP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s one way: Wash, clay, wash, dry, polish,sealant, wax. I`m sure someone else will tell you the other way....

Post Thanks / Like
    All depends on the condition of the finish. How bad are the swirls etc.

If I may, you should look into purchasing Autopia`s Guide to Detailing. This is a fine document full of how-to`s and what to expect etc. It`s cheaper than buying all types of products at once.

After washing and claying the finish, you have to polish to remove swirls.

Most start with DACP cleaner/polish if swirls are many and finish is hard. Others will use Megs SFP or #9 or 3M PIII-MG if swirls are not as bad or a new car that was done by the dealers "swirl mark and scratch application department". Always start with a lessor abrasive product first!

Once swirls are gone, time to build up the shine further with a finer polish. Some go Megs HP, others Menzerna FP or GEPC.

Then, it`s time to wax. Or sealant. Sealants require a better finish free of swirls/marring as it enhances them. Some also top sealants with a high quality wax (myself included) to deepen the gloss level to a more wetter look.

There are many good waxes, and now I`m going to try Clearkote`s VM and CMW as soon as I remove all the Zaino/wax and some minor swirls.

Then, a good QD to maintain, such as Megs FD or Clearkote QS.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    A polish is a swirl remover.

This is a complete process, most people don`t need to do everything for every detail.

Wash

Clay

Compound

Polish

Glaze

Wax or Sealent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deanski

All depends on the condition of the finish. How bad are the swirls etc.

If I may, you should look into purchasing Autopia`s Guide to Detailing. This is a fine document full of how-to`s and what to expect etc. It`s cheaper than buying all types of products at once.

Ditto.

There is no one set number of products you have to use, or one universal recipe for detailing your paint. It very much depends on what kind of damage (and how much damage) you have to fix.

One universal guideline however is this: "If you are unsure about how to proceed, always try the gentler approach first." You can always step up the aggressiveness of the product after you don`t get results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one fine point I`d add. If you`re going to apply a sealant like Zaino, you MUST remove all polish residues first -- either with a Dawn wash or a 50% alcohol spritz-off.

Patrick
    Phil, do a quick study on the purpose of each step...In other words, define the process, and take appropriate steps for your particular situation.....

Generally speaking:

*Washing removes dirt buildup and film, pollutants.

*Claying removes embedded particles, smooths the finish.

*Cleaners, remove prior layers of protection with either chemical makeup, or light abrasives, or a combination.

*Compounding, the most severe of polishes, removes the most serious of scratches/oxidation/swirls. It is in essence, a heavy duty polish. Gives the paint shine, gloss, and depth, and smoothes surface. Usually followed up with a lighter grade polish.

*Polishing, (this is where it gets tricky because there are so many brands and levels of abrasiveness) does what a compound does, but to a lighter degree, depending on the "grade" or level of abrasiveness. Gives the paint its shine, depth, gloss, and smoothes the surface.

*Glaze, assists in hiding swirls and surface imperfections, temporarily.

*Wax, provides protection, and may enhance polish results

*Sealant, same as wax, but a different chemical makeup, most durable of the two. Can be Acrylic, polymer, or a combination of the two, and can also have Carnauba.

*Also note, some "waxes" have hidden abrasives (Cleaners)in them, so read before you buy !

Thread Information