Post Thanks / Like
    From another forum:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost

Some dude suggested to use some 2000 grit sandpaper on someone`s black jeep. Now, I could see where you might want to do this if you have a very small scratch you want to buff out..but they guy is describing a pretty good damaged area from a dog scratching a body panel (mabey 1/2 the panel). What would you suggest?

for the lazy:

ORIGINAL QUESTION

On Saturday, while waiting to pick up a friend, a dog came running out of nowhere and went ape$hit on my car. He was jumping at the windows and clawing at the doors. When I got it home I took a look at the damage...tons of scratches, but they don`t seem too deep. The jeep is black, so these scratches stick out like a sore thumb. It looks awful.
    RESPONSE

I am a master at this type of repair. First of all, are the scratches so deep that your fingernail can detect them? If not, a little wetsanding with 2000 grit sandpaper, and a lot of buffing with polishing compound will get them out.

If so, then carefully fill the scratches with touch up paint, then carefully sand the touch up down after it has dried with 2000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 3M sanding squeegee. Then polish out the scratches with polishing compound.

I did this to a black Lexus LS400. Of course, I have a nice Makita buffer and used 3M Finesse-It compound. Before I had the buffer, I repaired the entire scratched up hood on my wife`s truck by hand as I described, and it turned out perfect.

I know sanding seems rough, but 2000 grit is very fine and does not take much clear off. This is how all paint shops remove paint imperfections.

If you don`t feel capable of this, then you need paint work :yup:
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I experimented on my black Maxima, got good results following basically the same method. Also removed a scratch or two on my white Caddy using same method. I would say it`s ok.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are talking about WET sanding, right??

Post Thanks / Like
    yep wet sanding, must soak the paper in a bucket of water for an hour or so before starting, must always keep the paper wet while sanding. I followed up with some PI II RC FC,then Menzerna, then a sealant
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    DavidB has a very detailed writeup in his ebook, and there is an article in the "learn" area. It`s a bit tricky to get perfect, but the results are very dramatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool...good to know. i`ve heard that wetsanding is great, but the idea of rubbing sandpaper on my car`s finish scares me.

Thread Information