Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!

Just tried zaino on my brand new silver Lexus GS430. I put zaino on half of the hood. Other half is bare clear coat, which is 100% swirl free. It was my first expirience with this product so it`s possible that I did some mistakes. Here is what I did:

1. Z1. Applied dime size drop by dry cotton applicator. (provided by zaino). There was no visible haze behind applicator.

2. Right after that applied coat of Z2. Directly over the Z1. Without wiping.

3. Left whole thing overnight.

4. On the morning I buffed out haze. No visible difference between Z`d and clean side of the hood.

5. Applied coat of Z5. Left for an hour. Wiped off. No difference.

6. Another coat of Z5. Another hour. Same result.

7. Coat of Z2. Same result.

Is there any mistakes in Z usage or fresh clear coat is just as reflective as zaino?

PS: Tomorrow I will stripe Z off by AIO and try same thing with Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m hoping other Autopians who have new cars will weigh in here. I`ve been using it on a `75 car and been delighted with the results. But maybe there are different issues when using Z on a new car.

First things first. Have you looked at the entensive tips on the Zaino website? Also, have you read through Nick`s Unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks?

Certainly, Zaino is not a "silver bullet." (In fact, I don`t think any product is a silver bullet.) Various people have various experiences with using it. Some folks don`t like the kind of shine or reflectivity it gives. But very few people complain that it just "doesn`t work."

I wonder about your order of application. If you chose not to use ZFX, then starting with Z1 makes sense. But why use Z5? That`s generally used on dark-colored cars (which you don`t have) or cars with minor swirls (which you say you don`t have). But you applied Z2 before Z5. I don`t know of anybody who has used Z2, then followed with Z5. It just doesn`t make sense, given what the products are designed to do. In general, folks with dark cars or swirled cars, start with Z5 for minor -- VERY minor -- swirl-hiding, then progress to Z2 for reflectivity.

How much Zaino did you use on each coat? The serious devotees here use much less than 1 oz per coat. That could be an issue for you.

Also, you don`t mention using Z6. That`s an indispensable part of the Zaino line. It`s supposed to be used before and after every layer. As I understand it, without Z6 between layers, the Zaino will not bond properly and do what it`s supposed to do.

But, for me, here`s the overarching issue: Lots of times, I don`t see a big dramatic difference when I apply Zaino. It`s not like taking an old oxidized car and suddenly turning it into a sparkling gem. I use Zaino on my well-maintained finish because it`s giving me a level of protection that I haven`t yet found elsewhere. It makes it easier for me to remove dirt, tar, bugs, and birdbombs.

I`m a little dismayed by your comment:
    Tomorrow I will stripe Z off by AIO and try same thing with Klasse.
    From what you`re saying, it`s impossible to know if you`ve used Zaino appropriately. Do a search here, and you`ll also find lots of folks also have trouble getting the right look with Klasse SG. A recent thread talked about how good detailing is mostly process, not product. Learn the strengths and proper application methods of each product, learn the processes for applying them correctly, and most products mentioned here will give you superlative results. :up

By the way, I don`t know that AIO will strip off Zaino. You may want to do a search on removing Zaino, if that`s the way you want to go. Otherwise, you could just end up with an even bigger mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you touch it?

My SUV is white and so the "Zaino shine" may not be as obvious under certain light conditions. However, under the sizzling mid-day Hawaiian sun or during the magic hours of either dawn of sundown, the shine is decent even though I`ve had my car for almost a year.

On the other hand, if you`re not happy with the product and do not mind to switch, why not try something else (like Klasse?) and may you great success. For a new car with swirl free paints, almost all products should work for you.

Aloha!

:wavey

Ooops! Almost forgot what I meant to say. Touch it and the surface with Zaino should be slick and "waxy".

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by nEJIbMEHb

Hi!

Just tried zaino on my brand new silver Lexus GS430.

What the heII gives these people the idea that polishing and waxing a brand new car is going to make it look any better?

I mean....sometimes you may be able to......depends on wether or not the dealer has a good detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    May people confuse the goal of a protectant. Your case is a good example. From your story you have a perfect finish being treated with a protectant - Zaino. The Zaino treated side looks as wonderful and exactly like the new untreated side. The difference, the Zaino side is now protected from degradation. :xyxthumbs. No change in color, hue and when you view the car in different lighting probably an increase in gloss. A product like Zaino and IMO all protectants will only greatly enhance the "POP" on poorly prepped paint, old paint that again is ill-prepped. The fact that you can not tell a difference is actually a positive if you loved the color/hue you purchased but now this appearance will be preserved.

You will increase the gloss slightly by using the Z6 QD and allowing a few days for the layered Zaino to completely cure. Zaino actually gets better with age and subsequent Z7 washes. I can not think of a better canvas to paint with Zaino than a new flawless finish. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Do yourself a favor and don`t be too hasty about removing the Zaino. The first car I ever detailed had six-year-old totally neglected paint, and I was astounded by the improvement. But 99% of the new look came from the paint prep (maybe 100%), not the Zaino. The lesson I learned was that you get your shine before you add your wax or sealant. If it adds more "pop," all the better.

How do you have bare clearcoat on a new car? Did you polish off the dealer prep?

If I had your car and your concerns, I would leave the Zaino and do the other side of the hood with Klasse AIO and SG. My guess is that you won`t be able to tell the difference, especially on a silver car. If you can, pick the one you like best and go with it. But give yourself a few days and a few layers of SG and Z2 before you make up your mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also failed to mention that some users of Zaino QD with Z6 prior to each subsequent layer of Z2 or 5 for gloss enhancement.

Silver is a tough color to really get an extreme "POP" in comparison to darker colors like black and red without doing some detailing visual altering using glazes and non-cleaning carnaubas. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the Klasse.

If you get it right with SG and top it with S100 you`ll love the result!

Much easier (and cheaper) to use too.

You might wanna consider UPP over AIO too.

UPP is much much easier to use than either Zaino or SG and gives an awesome shine with alot of protection.

That too can be topped with S100.

Example of AIO/UPP topped with S100:

2001 Nissan Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don`t you apply AIO to the other quarter of the hood? Then you can compare the Zaino that was applied a few days ago, the Klasse you just applied, and the fresh paint you have. I doubt you`ll be able to tell the difference, unless you spray the hood with water and check out the Zaino beading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoker

Zaino isn`t all that expensive once you look at how much money you actually spend ont he Klasse line.

A basic kit, Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7 will set you back $56.75 and $7.95 shipping will equal $64.70

Klasse Kit to measure up to those products.

(estimations, too many combinations with the Klasse)

Klasse Kit: $40 (hmm, 16 ounce bottles cut it in half, $20), QD: $15 (thinking Sonus), Car Wash: $8 (P21S), topper of S100 ($15.) Thats $58.00 with OUT shipping which would add $10-$15 more. So in the end with shipping costs, it ends up to be roughly $70.

So in the end, who really is spending more money? It more or less the same....

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Zaino on my wifes New Silver CRV and it did make a difference in shine even though the paint was in good condition.

Did you try washing with Dawn first? I wouldn`t make this a regular habit but if your dealer applied some sort of sealant on your paint I don`t think anything short of a polish will remove it.....other than Dawn. Z1 definitely won`t touch it.

I`m not a big fan of Zaino for my exterior paint but I have found many many uses for it in other places of the car. I will continue to buy it for this reason only.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    All this talk of Zaino`s different formula Z1, Z2, Z384820, Z34, Z98347834, Z3#$&*@#? ?!?!?! I`m so confused. I think I`m gonna go with Klasse topped with p21s.

Post Thanks / Like
    www.zainobros.com

Zaino is supposed to make paint look liek well paint. An invisible barrier if you will. I find that it is like coating the car in glass. making it look very reflective.

It is very difficult to make a new Lexus in silver have more pop. Its possible, but very difficult and it would take a trained eye to notice a difference.

Also, did you apply all those Zaino coats in a day? If you do not use ZFX and stick to Z1 only one Z2/Z3/Z5 layer is possible within 24 hours.

Or go into Autopia acronyms to find out those Zaino terms.

I can recite the whole Zaino line from memory, but the wbesite is above and the acronyms page is there so I will take up less abnd width and say its fairly simple.

Also like above, did you feel the surface after Zaino? Did you dawn wash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JasonC8301

Smoker

Zaino isn`t all that expensive once you look at how much money you actually spend ont he Klasse line.

A basic kit, Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7 will set you back $56.75 and $7.95 shipping will equal $64.70

Klasse Kit to measure up to those products.

(estimations, too many combinations with the Klasse)

Klasse Kit: $40 (hmm, 16 ounce bottles cut it in half, $20), QD: $15 (thinking Sonus), Car Wash: $8 (P21S), topper of S100 ($15.) Thats $58.00 with OUT shipping which would add $10-$15 more. So in the end with shipping costs, it ends up to be roughly $70.

So in the end, who really is spending more money? It more or less the same....

Not to argue with you, but you can get Klasse for much less than $40 bucks. I`ve never paid more than $30 for a set. You just gotta wait for a sale. I don`t know if Sal has sales or not, but its not hard to find a Klasse one.

$15 for QD is a little high. You can get QDs just as good as Sonus for $10. I haven`t used Sonus yet, but Platinum`s QD is my favorite so far and that`s what I use.

You don`t need a special car wash to use. You can use a $2 bottle of any wash.

You don`t need to top Klasse neccessarily either. Either way, shipping isn`t an issue with S100 since you aren`t going to order it online probably.

In the end, you pay shipping for Klasse and your QD and use soap you already have and a jar of wax you can buy locally. Comparing them price wise doesn`t really work.

I`m not saying that Klasse is better than Zaino or the other way around (I`ve been around too long to start that debate again :p), I`m just saying that they can`t be compared on price alone. There is the issue of how many applications you can get out of a product. That has a lot to do with it. I don`t know how many you can get out of Zaino, but I am sure you`ve got a good 30 or 40 coats in a couple bottles of Klasse. Maybe more. Its like the never ending question of how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop. :lol Price per layer might be an interesting price comparison.

Either way, I`ve seen cars that look great either way. We don`t need to get in a debate over which is better. They both have their good points. I think the whole point is that you really need to give a product a chance before you toss it away and decide that its no good.

nEJIbMEHb, did you buy the Zaino or did someone loan it to you? If you don`t want it anymore then perhaps you would be willing to sell it? Let me know.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Jngrbrdman, but I am not tempted to use $2 soap on a finish protected with Klasse. I would spring for the Meguiar`s stuff for $5.

And if you have a local Z distributer then shipping is out of the question too, I hate to pay shipping cots nowa fter finding a local Z dist. and another dist. That carries the full 3M and Meguiars line.

The Harley Dealer near me doesn`t carry S100 but he can special order it and get it in 2 weeks. I said no thanks. but the Kawasaki crotch rockets had me going for a motorcycle license. too bad NYC has crappy weather, need a car with 4 wheels for the snow, ice and pot holes.

A car is these days new is what 10K for a Hyundai and up too $100K for a MB.

Why not spend $500 to protect the investment. A car is the second most expensive investment you make in your life (a house being the other.) Why not protect it?

I will stop now and not rehash the ever going Klasse/Zaino debate plus I`ve been here a while to Jngrbrdman....I really dislike debating between two really good products. In my view everyone should have Klasse and Zaino in their line up. Probably most people who argue over K/Z only used one or the other and not both.

Jason

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information