Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions for what to use or how to rig a portable scaffold so I can reach all of my truck without busting my a** again. lol. It`s a 4X4 with 17inch rims and reaching the center of the top, windshield, and rear center of the hood presents a real issue, especially when trying to polish and wax.

Thanks

f150smith
    2003 F150 Red Supercrew

1999 Sedan Deville Concours

Post Thanks / Like
    f150smith,

I just use a 3 step "kitchen" step stool for the hood.

I can`t even reach the center of the roof from my cab steps. The only way I can reach the roof is to open the doors and stand on the sill. You just have to be careful with the wet wash mitt, but it can be done without wetting the interior of the truck.

Takes forever to detail that sucker, huh.

BOB
    73 XLCH Sportster Blackfire and Pig Spit 01 Prius Blackfire 01 330 CiC Original Blackfire and S-100 04 Pilot, Blackfire 06 H-D FXSTBI, S-100

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you reach the center of the roof from the bed (if you dont have a cap or tonneau cover)?

Just a thought.

I used to have a lifted Jeep Cherokee and the only way I could reach those spots was to stand on the top of the wheels and perform a balancing act.

I`m sure glad I have a sedan now without lots of trim or mouldings.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Get one of those ladders that you can fold a few different ways and make a bridge over your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    F150BOB

Thanks and you are so right about it taking so long to detail. Mine is the supercrew which has even more sheetmetal than your extended cab. I just finsished using 3mSMR, PPCL, and Souvran on it and it took me all Sunday afternoon, and all of Monday morning to finish just the exterior.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at one of those multiple position ladders at a Home Depot a few weeks ago but since i had just placed my Pinnacle ordered I held off on the purchase. Figured I would just use a couple 5 gal buckets with a board across them as a scaffold. Well,,,,,, while drying the roof guess who ended up on his backside on the ground. Nothing hurt but my pride thank goodness.

Thanks for the input.
    2003 F150 Red Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mpauly

Can you reach the center of the roof from the bed (if you dont have a cap or tonneau cover)?

Just a thought.

I used to have a lifted Jeep Cherokee and the only way I could reach those spots was to stand on the top of the wheels and perform a balancing act.

I`m sure glad I have a sedan now without lots of trim or mouldings.

Michael

No, you know you miss the lifted jeep

I made a small box (about 1.5ftx1ftx1ft) made of ply wood and 2x4 that I use as a step stool around the garage.

For the roof I have to open the door and stand on the sill.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Get rails mounted along your garage ceiling and mount a sliding body harness on them. HeHe. That would be pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get those stilts that guys who install ceiling tiles use. Seriously...the guys who remodeled a Jack in the Box I used to manage used them, and they said you get used them pretty quickly and it is almost like walking normally, except you are 3 feet taller.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad always used concrete blocks with a big heavy board. Might work better than buckets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. You guys have given me some ideas I hadn`t thought of>
    2003 F150 Red Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like
    I know very well what you mean; I have a Ford Super Duty 4x4 and it is really tough to reach!! I have to use a ladder when I do the roof!! You have to get someone to hold it as you do not want it to fall against your truck!!!

Good luck bud! I know the feeling!!:scared

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean. I own a 2003 F350 4x4 crewcab with the 17s and it`s a little difficult to detail to say the least! It`s a small price to pay for such an awesome truck. Here`s what I do.

To dry and buff the roof: Have both of your doors open and either stand on the nerf bars or the inside rail of the interior just inboard of the bottom where the door meets.

The windows: same as above, but hold on to the handle on the upper rail.

Hood drying and buffing: The above works, but I also steady my self on the front tire. If you can keep your balance, then it`s a cake walk.

Don`t these beauties look awesome after a full detail?

Good luck,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John!

I agree, they look awesome when detailed!! I have posted several of mine already; I will restrain myself from posting more or I could get linched!!

I have to open the Super Cab doors and grab onto the grab handle and step on the door sill just to wash the roof! And, I still can not reach the center of the roof!!

Cheers!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Little Jumbo Safety Step made by Wing Ladders. It`s a 3 step with the top step at 27". They also make a 4 step with the top step at 36".

What`s nice about this safety step is that it has wheels on one side which make it a breeze to move around. I have a X5 and it makes accessing the roof alot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

What I do is buff one side and then move to the other door and finish the other side. What I can`t reach from the door sills, I just jump in the bed and finish what`s left over.

You`ve got great taste! I love my superduty. My family thinks I`m obsessed with cleaning my truck and I can`t argue with them. I mean...... I love my family, but this is my truck we`re talking about!LOL!!! ;o)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information