Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What product is best to condition the rubber seals on your car? I`ve noticed that many car manuals recommend silicone. But i`ve also heard that silicone is not good for tires. If its bad for rubber tires, would it not be bad for rubber seals? I`ve never tried 303 but it seems that this product comes highly recommended. Please post recommendations on what products are best.

Post Thanks / Like
    303 is a really good product but the major downfall is the fact that it is so delicate. With water, or even worse, soaper water the layers of 303 will fade off.

For the rubber seals around the doors and windows I would go with 303, if you see it is not working well I would use a silicone. It is not bad for the seals, it sort of locks in mositure to keep the seals from cracking, shrinking and fading. Exactly what 303 does but silicone is not as tempermental.

I have used alot of dressings on my vinyl, dash and seals and 303 truly is the best (from what I have used).

Post Thanks / Like
    303 or similar for me.

Silicone sprays attract dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trooper-

I used some silicone in days gone by, and I use 303 now.

Comparison? Don`t think the silicone really ate the seals, but the 303 is definitely better. Durability is an issue - I find myself applying 303 to the seals once a month, as opposed to once every 3 or 4 months - but what the heck.

I`d go with the 303..

Post Thanks / Like
    Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick. Easy to apply. Protectants just don`t seem to last very long. This stuff seems to have more staying power

Post Thanks / Like
    what ever you choose make sure you clean the seals very good to remove any oxidize rubber...the black rubbery gooky stuff on your rag...

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>what ever you choose make sure you clean the seals very good to remove any oxidize rubber...the black rubbery gooky stuff on your rag... [/b]</blockquote>
    what would you use to clean the rubber?? i have that black gooky stuff on my window tracks.

Post Thanks / Like
    first I use a wet Mf and scrub and scrub and scrub.

Then I get another Mf and use alchohol on the MF and scrub and scrub and scrub.

Then I go back to the wet Mf again...this is for dirty never washed weather seals...normally when I do the doorjams after washing I wipe them down with the wet mf and as long as it comes without the black gook on the Mf I am satisified.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    For cleaning/restoring I like Zymol Seal.

Its a thick gel stubstance, rich in gleceryin. When I first got my car my seals were pretty dry, hard, faded and zymol seal cleared it up. I havn`t had to do anything to them since. I hear Gummi Phledge by BMW is supposed to be good as well.

For protection, I would go with Aerospace 303 like everyone else says.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wurths is good stuff, so is 303. I use zaino z-16 on the seals and it lasts pretty good. I also use it on exterior rubber moldings and it lasts the best of anything I have found.
    :getdown

01 ford ranger xlt

05 ktm 300 exc

Post Thanks / Like
    For cleaning the rubber, I use a dishwashing foam pad (the rough side). Previously I had problems getting the rubber very clean. The rough foam worked for me.

Steven

Alfa 164

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who shared their advice and knowledge on this matter. I think i`ll go with the 303 and see how the seals hold up. Conditioning weatherstripping may seem trivial to some...ie my wife, but i`m just totally anal when it comes to taking care of my car. This site is a wealth of knowledge for car nuts like myself. The posts on caring for leather is the best i have seen. It takes leather care to a higher level(I didn`t know leather had clear coats). The best part is how friendly and helpful everyone is here compaired to some other forums. Thanks again...i`m off to get some 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car is new, then you dont need to protect the weather stripping, its not exately rubber but some other material. I distincly remember Ron saying this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I beleave even new weatherstripping needs to be protected. From what I remember, its simmilar to the reasons tires need to be protected. Otherwise the seals will get UV Damage and oxidation. Not to mention they are constantly being crushed into the door jams, etc

Here is some info I found on properautocare.com

Though its powerful UV screening benefit is not needed in this application, 303 Aerospace Protectant is great for cleaning EPDM seals and to keep them clean. 303 Aerospace Protectant makes EPDM seals look like new and PREVENTS sticking and tearing. Because it is safe for EPDM and prevents sticking & tearing, manufacturers exclusively recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant for this application.

It also says that they don`t need to be protected.. so I am kinda confused on this one :nixweiss . I keep 303 on mine just in case though

Post Thanks / Like
    Gummi Pflege works quite nicely for rubber seals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information